Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

That's interesting - ta, will take a look at some more :)

Clarifies a few things, I'd have thought a host was defined as the one transmitting data, whereas actually split into client (transmitting)/server (receiving).

I'm confused when he says his Acme.com company has a top-level IP address of 10.x.x.x - surely it would be 10.x.x otherwise the 10 is the highest level address which would only allow 255 companies on the web?

The first week in the new job was quite good, if slightly bonkers, I can see learning how to navigate management is certainly going to be a thing. Amusingly, I've been asked to implement Intune. Seeing as there are many thousands of devices out there and none of them are even co-managed at the moment, this isn't something I want to rush into, so I've suggested we start with the phones. I've been tinkering with stuff and asked my team lead who I should chat to make sure I'm heading the right direction in terms of what they want. He suggested himself, the technical manger, another manger and send an invite to the CTO. I think I'd rather crawl under a rock and die they do this at this point, but I guess I'll have to learn how to deal with this.

In the meantime in my labbing I've been trying to work out which is the least privileged role I can give to enrol devices, as Microsoft's method is clear as mud, and I've got zero chance of expecting users to do it. There's a role called a device enrolment manager, which can enroll up to a 1000 devices. Except I was getting weird error messages when trying to use it. Google tells me the device enrolment manager, can't actually enrol Android devices. :facepalm:

Clarifies a few things, I'd have thought a host was defined as the one transmitting data, whereas actually split into client (transmitting)/server (receiving).

I'm confused when he says his Acme.com company has a top-level IP address of 10.x.x.x - surely it would be 10.x.x otherwise the 10 is the highest level address which would only allow 255 companies on the web?

I'm not quite sure I follow? 10.0. 0.0 to 10.255. 255.255, 172.16. 0.0 to 172.31. 255.255 & 192.168. 0.0 to 192.168. 255.255 are private IPs, so they can be used by many different companies for internal address. It's why most people's home network will be on 192.168.0.x for example.

You're reminding me it's about time to again remind my director that we own a Class B network and could sell the 253 other Class Cs for a lot of money. Oh wait, we can't because we still assign every VPN client its own external IP address. Because our security people are insane.

There's this huge... I don't know what to call it, maybe a "sanity gap" between when I and a few other key team members started 5 years back and anything still around that's older than that.

10.x.x.x is one of the ranges of addresses defined as "private". Which means that those addresses are not regarded as routable in the wider Internet. See also 192.168.x.x

To directly answer your point, all IP addresses (IP v4) are formed of 4 octets, so 10.x.x (or, to be picky, 10.255.255) wouldn't represent a valid IPv4 address.

ok gotcha so public IP address will be anything aside from starting 10, 172 and 192
No.

192.167.255.255, for example will be a public address. 192.168.255.255 (with a netmask of 255.255.0.0) is private, but the other 192.x.x.x addresses would still be public.

It's a bit of a brainache unless you've been doing it for 40 years <cough>

No.

192.167.255.255, for example will be a public address. 192.168.255.255 (with a netmask of 255.255.0.0) is private, but the other 192.x.x.x addresses would still be public.

It's a bit of a brainache unless you've been doing it for 40 years <cough>
yes I realized it wasn't quite right as soon as I posted it. Would other netmasks make it public?

yes I realized it wasn't quite right as soon as I posted it. Would other netmasks make it public?
No, as by definition (according to some standard or another) it is a private address. All that would happen is that your routers would send out traffic onto the broader internet that would simply drop the packets and go nowhere.

Check out class A, B and C ip addresses, there’s a list.

Remember to avoid the loop back address or you’ll just talk to yourself
You want to confuse a network bod, use a loopback of 127. anything else. 127.127.127.127 is totally valid, and will confuse the shit out of anyone at first.

You want to confuse a network bod, use a loopback of 127. anything else. 127.127.127.127 is totally valid, and will confuse the shit out of anyone at first.
Indeed - we use a non-127.0.0.1 loopback on the Urban75 jail/server

Check out class A, B and C ip addresses, there’s a list.

Remember to avoid the loop back address or you’ll just talk to yourself
ta - interesting. Is Class A for ISPs?

so class A private address starts 10..., class B starts 172... and class C starts 192... that makes sense.

Classfull allocation (class A,B, C) was replaced by Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR) in 1993. Originally organisations were allocated classes, but that was hugely wasteful.

There are all sorts of special address reservations - the RFC1918 private spaces mentioned previously, shared space/CGN (100.64.0.0/10), multicast, loop backs, self-assigned etc.
RFC6890 is the latest “best practice” summary, but the Wikipedia entry for IPv4 has a nice readable summary.

So I listened, in awe, amusement and horror as our network engineer spent the entire morning going over the fundamentals of networking with the 17 year work experience lad. How IP address work, VLANs, subnet masks, routers, switches, the lot. Not a quick overview either, like almost to the level of detail in the practical networking series I linked to above. Probably enough to most of the way to passing network plus and then some more CCNA specific stuff about switch configurations. I don't think the 17-year-old muttered more than 10 words. When the lad went for lunch, I told the network engineer how impressed I was at his teaching, but wasn't sure how much might have been taken in, he told me it was because he wasn't sure what else he should talk about. 🤣

Last edited:
Excel users, I want to highlight a row and then use the arrow keys, or similar, to move up and down, so I know which row I’m working on. Is this possible? It must be, everything is possible in Excel.

It's really nice out there today :)

Don' really understand your second question though. You'll be working on the row you've highlighted until you click another row.

I think :)

I decided to have a little noodle around with Lazarus, the open source Delphi IDE and Darabase programming thing. Ended up staying up until 2am because it was going so well.

Back
Top Bottom