Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Scab :mad:

I clicked on it today, too, before I remembered :oops:

r/sysadmin isn't down luckily

I'm not sure I actually care that much as I don't use third party apps and not sure I see the issue with charging them to use reddits APIs. But confess I didn't spend loads of time reading about it.

I don't know what third party apps are :(

I think it was the insane price they're charging for whatever it is that they are that's caused ire.

I don't know what third party apps are :(

I think it was the insane price they're charging for whatever it is that they are that's caused ire.

My understanding is you don't have to use the Reddit app to view reddit, other apps are available.

They are now charging money for those apps to access to Reddits content.

Is there a lower-power alternative, or is it just that the 18 W makes the 1 W overkill because there are (for example) 2 W CPUs that are cheaper?
I'm sure they're working on it, but it's taking Zen4 a bit longer to get to laptop configurations than the past 2 releases of it. I'm just guessing that a thirsty memory/IO controller is the reason for it.
To be fair, Zen2/3 are still pretty good CPUs for laptop use. The Mrs has a Zen2-based 5500U and it's both fast and miserly on the power.

My desktop upstairs takes about 80 W average (I3 I think) including UPS and audio. Any ideas what the best figures are - again desktop?

My desktop upstairs takes about 80 W average (I3 I think) including UPS and audio. Any ideas what the best figures are - again desktop?
That's a decent total for idling, which is what most PCs do 99% of the time. Surfing the web is effectively idling to a modern CPU.
When you have (in my example) 6 cores that can run up to 5.3GHz, they do quite a lot of work in a very short period of time and then drop back to sipping next to nothing.
The CPU can be one of the biggest power draws in the system if you load it up, but most of the time powering things like disk and RAM actually take more power. Same goes for the graphics card, if you have one. It only sucks 200W during gaming and next to nothing the rest of the time.

145W TDP just means that it could possibly, at max tilt, draw that much. But really Intel separates them into classes (95, 125, 145, etc.) so it's unlikely that it would even draw that much except for very brief periods. Intel sets things up so that the CPU can draw over the TDP, but for a couple of seconds at most. Then it drops back down below it to stop from frying.

145W TDP just means that it could possibly, at max tilt, draw that much. But really Intel separates them into classes (95, 125, 145, etc.) so it's unlikely that it would even draw that much except for very brief periods. Intel sets things up so that the CPU can draw over the TDP, but for a couple of seconds at most. Then it drops back down below it to stop from frying.

Yes I know. Its how I convinced myself to buy it. Even with 9 or 10 VMs, none of them will work that hard. My gaming PC with it's much more modern components will probably suck more down when I find time to play games again.

That's a decent total for idling, which is what most PCs do 99% of the time. Surfing the web is effectively idling to a modern CPU.
When you have (in my example) 6 cores that can run up to 5.3GHz, they do quite a lot of work in a very short period of time and then drop back to sipping next to nothing.
The CPU can be one of the biggest power draws in the system if you load it up, but most of the time powering things like disk and RAM actually take more power. Same goes for the graphics card, if you have one. It only sucks 200W during gaming and next to nothing the rest of the time.

Interesting, thank you :) .

Interesting you say surfing is effectively idling - alongside word processing/spreadsheet that's pretty well what I do - I don't play games so graphics card won't come into it.

nah gave up can bring it to work tomorrow and scan it for the mother just wasted my own time find a USB printer cable and hour fucking around with it using my phone as a hot spot to get it going

and the complaints that it's the printer not on the same network as my laptop

ffs all because my security consense ma set password on the WiFi printer and did not think to remember it :facepalm:

I've never managed to get an HP printer to connect wirelessly. My Canon MG7750 printer was exactly the opposite. When I first connected it, it asked me to connect to WiFi, I gave it the connection details, it connected to the network and has never gone wrong.

God do i hate printers

physical plug it into a pc

lets go online to use an app to scan

no fuck you hp

Maybe a bit late, but don't use their shitty software.

I find this works well with most scanners

• Love
Reactions: Ax^
Still haven't done the Microsoft 2fa yet - haven't really bothered because I can't even get the fucking site to display in my browser. Am i right in thinking that if I take an image of the qr code thingy on say my tablet then I'm going to have to use my tablet whenever I want to sign in? I'd prefer to use phone or email to sign in.

Maybe a bit late, but don't use their shitty software.

I find this works well with most scanners

Do you know of any scanning software that will identify the number of items on the page, put a 1mm border round each item and square up the scans?

Do you know of any scanning software that will identify the number of items on the page, put a 1mm border round each item and square up the scans?
I think the latest version of VueScan will do what you want.

Back
Top Bottom