Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

But how would that explain my test account not having the same problem on his PC and using his account on my laptop replicating the problem?

Because its how his account is displaying in Outlook.

If it was his account it would be in OWA. If it was the machine it wouldnt be the same on your machine.

We will see 😀 but at least you have three ideas for tomorrow morning.

Thank you both. Funny how something so small can cause so many headaches. This kind of a this is a real ball ache as well as it inconveniences the user a lot doing all these support sessions. Luckily he's a nice guy but still.

Still at least it wasn't as bad as a linx server with a firewall falling over and not knowing how to fix. Well we turned it off on and on again, but I don't think that's the approved method. He's not that present generally, but I'll still be glad when the boss is online again on Monday.

I just tried to sign in to the fucking Microsoft email account I have to use for work and it came back with a message saying I need to download the fucking Microsoft authentication app. I'm not sure that I can download the fucking Microsoft app since I'm on Linux desktop and I don't have a usable mobile because I've not got mobile access in the house. I do have a tablet which could scan the QR code but I've never used that to access the work account and have never really linked it to my computer.

I click through the fucking Microsoft page anyway and then it tells me I can't view the page without DOM or enabling cookies. I checked and DOM is enabled and I've disabled all my cookie blocking and ad blocking extensions for the fucking Microsoft site.

Any thoughts? Am I going to have to read the QR code on my tablet and then copy my password across to the tablet and get into the fucking Microsoft email account that way and assume it's going to work on my desktop, too if I'm not authenticating at each sign-in?

Any advice gratefully received.

Eta: hopefully solved, ta.

Last edited:
I just tried to sign in to the fucking Microsoft email account I have to use for work and it came back with a message saying I need to download the fucking Microsoft authentication app. I'm not sure that I can download the fucking Microsoft app since I'm on Linux desktop and I don't have a usable mobile because I've not got mobile access in the house. I do have a tablet which could scan the QR code but I've never used that to access the work account and have never really linked it to my computer.

I click through the fucking Microsoft page anyway and then it tells me I can't view the page without DOM or enabling cookies. I checked and DOM is enabled and I've disabled all my cookie blocking and ad blocking extensions for the fucking Microsoft site.

Any thoughts? Am I going to have to read the QR code on my tablet and then copy my password across to the tablet and get into the fucking Microsoft email account that way and assume it's going to work on my desktop, too if I'm not authenticating at each sign-in?

Any advice gratefully received.

Do you have a “more options” or anything else you can click on?

Most mfa does assume you have an mobile but you might be able to get your personal email setup for it

This will take you to the mfa setup page Sign in to your account as long as you can login

Do you have a “more options” or anything else you can click on?

Most mfa does assume you have an mobile but you might be able to get your personal email setup for it

This will take you to the mfa setup page Sign in to your account as long as you can login
I press an alternative access button but get an error message telling me to apply to the IT department. I can do that but was hoping to sort it without troubling employer.

It lets you use another mfa app but then presumably the same problem? I do have mfa on some websites but just have to enter a code that they send to my personal email account.

The mfa setup page you gave just gets me to the log-in page.

Eta: ah I got through to a page that lets you sign in with an 'office phone' which might work - I'll have to contact employer to get it to work.

Ta Artaxerxes

I...................Like if I wanted to get access to your network wouldn't it make sense to target a users home device with crappy security first and use it to reset their password to work? ................
sounds like (one of the) LastPass things.
Compromise of an engineer's home Mac (via Plex) used to access the organisation

I press an alternative access button but get an error message telling me to apply to the IT department. I can do that but was hoping to sort it without troubling employer.

It lets you use another mfa app but then presumably the same problem? I do have mfa on some websites but just have to enter a code that they send to my personal email account.

The mfa setup page you gave just gets me to the log-in page.

Eta: ah I got through to a page that lets you sign in with an 'office phone' which might work - I'll have to contact employer to get it to work.

Ta Artaxerxes

Do you have a smartphone with WiFi? Assuming not if this is an issue, but you shouldn't need phone signal.

I've not used another app for MS services, but I do use Authy for others. It doesn't send a push notification, but instead generates a TOTP.

If that doesn't work and you do need to come contact them you could ask about using a security/fido key instead. They look a USB stick and you just touch it to authenticate.

Do you have a smartphone with WiFi? Assuming not if this is an issue, but you shouldn't need phone signal.

I've not used another app for MS services, but I do use Authy for others. It doesn't send a push notification, but instead generates a TOTP.

If that doesn't work and you do need to come contact them you could ask about using a security/fido key instead. They look a USB stick and you just touch it to authenticate.
My tablet has wifi, I think my phone does too although it's old (HTC Desire) and I've never bothered setting it up.

I could live with a TOTP over tablet/wifi although would be a bit of a pain carrying it round with me, but I'm wondering whether Microsoft is now going to keep signing me out of the email account instead of me just keeping signed in. If I have to faff around to sign in I'll only sign in a couple of times a day instead of every couple of hours which I do now to see whether I've got emails.

And ta for security/fido key advice I'll suggest it when they come back to me.

My tablet has wifi, I think my phone does too although it's old (HTC Desire) and I've never bothered setting it up.

I could live with a TOTP over tablet/wifi although would be a bit of a pain carrying it round with me, but I'm wondering whether Microsoft is now going to keep signing me out of the email account instead of me just keeping signed in. If I have to faff around to sign in I'll only sign in a couple of times a day instead of every couple of hours which I do now to see whether I've got emails.

And ta for security/fido key advice I'll suggest it when they come back to me.

Depending how it's set you might be months before you have to do again if your on the same computer. :)

I alternate between computers day/evening, but if fucking Microsoft start signing me out all the time I'll just contact employer and ask him to send me a personal email every time he sends me a work email.

I'm in the office this morning and none of us have been for weeks. Only because I need to collect personal mail more then anything. I really really don't miss the noise of a load of servers so close to my desk when I WFH! I did get a bacon sandwich though.

Thinking about it, I'm half tempted to ask him to send me a personal email at the same time as a work email. Because I'm freelance and don't get a huge amount of work (how I like it), he often doesn't contact me for weeks and I'm always still checking for emails several times a day.

Thinking about it, I'm half tempted to ask him to send me a personal email at the same time as a work email. Because I'm freelance and don't get a huge amount of work (how I like it), he often doesn't contact me for weeks and I'm always still checking for emails several times a day.

I'm not sure what bit of software would do this on Linux, but if it were me I'd have my personal and work email in the same Outlook desktop. I'm assuming that there's a Linux mail client that can handle Microsoft authentication.

I'm not sure what bit of software would do this on Linux, but if it were me I'd have my personal and work email in the same Outlook desktop. I'm assuming that there's a Linux mail client that can handle Microsoft authentication.
Ah so access my personal emails through Outlook? I'd never thought of that - mind you I fucking hate fucking Microsoft so try to avoid any contact with them at all.

Grrr. I've fucked up and I hope it's doesn't end up costing me to much. I mentioned a few pages ago that I ordered a Dell 3060 Micro from eBay. Upgraded it to 32GB RAM and added an additional 500GB HDD. Went to install ESXi 8 on it and it doesn't support the network adapter. I'm really pissed off at myself as I knew this could be an issue, but didn't think about it, as I didn't have the issue with the tiny Lenovo 920q I've already got running ESXi. I know theoretically I can slipstream drivers onto the install media, but coming up blank on where to actually find the drivers I need to do this (and even more worrying not finding any posts where other people have done it).

Plus it's sunny outside and I wanted this sorted so I could drink cold beer in the garden.

I know theoretically I can slipstream drivers onto the install media, but coming up blank on where to actually find the drivers I need to do this (and even more worrying not finding any posts where other people have done it).
Realtek NICs aren’t supported on ESXi 7 or later, from what I can see. They dropped vmklinux driver support in 7.0 and that was the only Realtek driver.

There is a community USB Nic driver (search for “usb driver fling”) so you might be able to add a USB Nic and use that.

Realtek NICs aren’t supported on ESXi 7 or later, from what I can see. They dropped vmklinux driver support in 7.0 and that was the only Realtek driver.

There is a community USB Nic driver (search for “usb driver fling”) so you might be able to add a USB Nic and use that.

Thank you. That's the conclusion I'm coming to. I've no experience, but from what I've read USB NICs can be flaky?

I think it might be case of selling it on and hope I don't loose to much in the process. The little Lenovo 920q just works, but they were a fair bit more when I was looking, which is why I went for the Dell, but there must a similar spec machine with an Intel NIC at the same price.

Result. The eBay seller is accepting a return so I can find something that just works. Maybe another little Lenovo, but having crazy thoughts abouts buying an old HP Z640. 18 core Xenon & 128GB RAM. Can fit a second 18 core Xeon. Maybe a little overkill. :hmm:

Several people from the same company messaging/mailing me this morning to say they couldn't remote in as they WFH. Nobody thought to tell me they electricians in. :confused:

Fucking Dell monitor has decided to stop accepting video through the USBC passthrough cable. Was fine for 2 years, then - nothing

bought a new cable - too short, sent it back, just bought 2 new cables (bloody expensive, but went for thunderbolt 40GBPS, 240W to be sure to be sure. Nada
And this is on 3 separate laptops (2 PC, one M1 Mac) .

Girding my loins for an afternoon spend on the interwebs trying to diagnose, or do a firmware update, or whatever.

Currently slumming it with HDMI
Credit where its due
After running the (badly written / incomprehensible) diagnostic steps suggested by support (swap cables, swap laptops, reboot etc) they decided I needed a replacement and couriered me one the next day
They sent me a brand new equivalent of the one that I had had previously and the courier collected the broken one the next day
Thank you Dell

Credit where its due
After running the (badly written / incomprehensible) diagnostic steps suggested by support (swap cables, swap laptops, reboot etc) they decided I needed a replacement and couriered me one the next day
They sent me a brand new equivalent of the one that I had had previously and the courier collected the broken one the next day
Thank you Dell

It can be really really painful to get there, but they can be great once you've unlocked what ever you need to.

Back
Top Bottom