Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Nope, but you've reminded me why I stay a Linux admin, despite considerable Microsoft experience. :)
I was thinking very similar thoughts myself. I'm currently in the process of trying to get exim4 to send DKIM signatures and stuff, so it can talk to all its mailserver friends, and that's pretty tricksy...but at least I don't have to worry about the OS doing its own thing at random and suddenly screwing everything up!

One of those days today. Spent the morning working out why Outlook, Teams and One Drive were acting like there was no internet, despite me remoting into the PC. Turns out deep within settings TLS was disabled. Like how does that happen? But at least it was fixed.

I've got another even stranger one. Like really strange. User reports his Outlook calendar isn't working and he can't create appointments in the future. You create one it appears today at the current time. If you create it in OWA it shows in the correct place, but when syncing with the desktop, same behavior, appears today at current time. Checked date, time, region settings on the PC and in Outlook. Online repair of office. Create new profile. Doesn't work.

As there's other small problems I drive to see them and reinstall windows and office. Problem persists. Create a new outlook profile on his PC with my test account which is on a different tenancy. No issues. Create a new outlook profile on my PC with his account details and the problem is there.

Sign in logs in 365 are in GMT, but noticed in Exchange that they are on PST. Bingo. Except the problem isn't affecting any other users on the tenant. WTF?

It's pretty niche, but if anyone has seen anything like this, I'd be really grateful.

You made a ticket with MS in the office365 admin panel?

Nope, but you've reminded me why I stay a Linux admin, despite considerable Microsoft experience. :)

Pays better to right? :hmm:

I was thinking very similar thoughts myself. I'm currently in the process of trying to get exim4 to send DKIM signatures and stuff, so it can talk to all its mailserver friends, and that's pretty tricksy...but at least I don't have to worry about the OS doing its own thing at random and suddenly screwing everything up!

I guess at least with MS you just copy them from the portal and paste them to Cloudflaire. But I'm still getting my head around DMARC.

You made a ticket with MS in the office365 admin panel?

That sounds painful, but maybe worth a shot.

Pays better to right? :hmm:

I guess at least with MS you just copy them from the portal and paste them to Cloudflaire. But I'm still getting my head around DMARC.

That sounds painful, but maybe worth a shot.

They just fix it fairly quickly. You just need the information they ask for.

Also you should apply for a new job ASAP as you are losing time.

Well I've been very nicely suprised by Sage a few times recently so doesn't hurt to try!

Why a new job? I mean I was looking at Indeed last night after something pissed me off, but I think I'll be in a stronger position when I've more experiance and certs.

Well I've been very nicely suprised by Sage a few times recently so doesn't hurt to try!

Why a new job? I mean I was looking at Indeed last night after something pissed me off, but I think I'll be in a stronger position when I've more experiance and certs.

Because you seem to have a natural talent for IT and obv you might earn more than 40-45k but it you don’t that is what your current knowledge deserves IMO anyway.

And the sooner you start looking the more likely you are to get an opportunity that suits you.

After all say there are 50 jobs advertised only one might be right for you.

You dont even need to apply just post up your current CV put salary expectations and see what comes in.

I think I said it before your average day is far more IT demanding than mine and I earn in the thirties for handing out mice.

Because you seem to have a natural talent for IT and obv you might earn more than 40-45k but it you don’t that is what your current knowledge deserves IMO anyway.

And the sooner you start looking the more likely you are to get an opportunity that suits you.

After all say there are 50 jobs advertised only one might be right for you.

You dont even need to apply just post up your current CV put salary expectations and see what comes in.

I think I said it before your average day is far more IT demanding than mine and I earn in the thirties for handing out mice.

Thanks. I think I must come across as knowing more then I do. I mean it's why I'm always asking for help from those who are more time served (and urban has been a great help for me). I've got an overview of a fair bit of stuff, but I'm not sure much of it is in depth enough to get me anything other then another support role yet. It's a bonkers pace to work, but from my little bit of LinkedIn stalking people have stayed a long time and gone on to get quite good jobs after. I get to WFH as much as we want and we're not that busy much of the time, which gives me time to chip away at the harder stuff in a way I suspect I just wouldn't have time for in other places. The boss honestly doesn't seem to even know where we are most of the time. Downside is that unless something major breaks with infrastructure I don't really have anyone to escalate to. And because the owner likes to code I find it quite hard to get my head around things sometimes. I mean I did my CompTIA Net+ but I really struggle when I've got to network stuff on Linux. It's super broad which means I can find learning hard at times, we get training put on and I'll do a Saturday on something and then six months down the line start to actually understand why we were doing it.

But yes a better paid job is one reason why I'm doing this and not hanging out in canoes or down caves anymore. I'm currently sat nodding as I watch a Udemy course on AZ-800 then look at sample questions and cry realise I'm a long way of my next cert. And the AZ 801 will be even harder as we barely touch any of that stuff at work.

Last edited:
Nah always push as much as you can to get the better role with more cash cos there’s a lot of IT guys out there being paid money for fuck all. I do count myself amongst them.

There is a catastrophic lack of initiative on my first line guys, from the bloke who asked me why a user couldn’t access anything (the machine was disabled) to the ones who’ve pushed back the azure password reset tool “because users didn’t want to give personal emails” to use it.

And that’s just been todays highlights

If you are willing to put the study in, Google things and muck about you can plough away and fake it till you make it.

Nah always push as much as you can to get the better role with more cash cos there’s a lot of IT guys out there being paid money for fuck all. I do count myself amongst them.

There is a catastrophic lack of initiative on my first line guys, from the bloke who asked me why a user couldn’t access anything (the machine was disabled) to the ones who’ve pushed back the azure password reset tool “because users didn’t want to give personal emails” to use it.

And that’s just been todays highlights

If you are willing to put the study in, Google things and muck about you can plough away and fake it till you make it.

I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if I'd have ended in a role like that as opposed to here's the keys to the kingdom in the first week. SSH access to the linux servers, domain admin on windows, all the vSphere infrastructure. Try not to break anything. :D

Funnily enough I was just thinking about self service password resets today and how are they secured? Like if I wanted to get access to your network wouldn't it make sense to target a users home device with crappy security first and use it to reset their password to work? Or do you insist that they have MFA on the personal email before they can use it?

So I went to do it this morning as my enquires elsewhere yielded also zero results.

It points first to us as the main contact and then to the CSP who the boss switched to buying licenses from last year. The email isn't real and their website is a portal I don't have access to and the boss is on holiday and I can't reach him (and I'm a bit embarrassed to ask about something so "simple")

I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if I'd have ended in a role like that as opposed to here's the keys to the kingdom in the first week. SSH access to the linux servers, domain admin on windows, all the vSphere infrastructure. Try not to break anything. :D

Funnily enough I was just thinking about self service password resets today and how are they secured? Like if I wanted to get access to your network wouldn't it make sense to target a users home device with crappy security first and use it to reset their password to work? Or do you insist that they have MFA on the personal email before they can use it?

Theres a choice of like a dozen authentication methods in the console, you can force any two. So the insane “5 security questions” or email, or phone number.

We enforce MFA by safe ip, theoretically anyone off site or vpn should be prompted but I’ve been dropping hints that needs tightening up

Theres a choice of like a dozen authentication methods in the console, you can force any two. So the insane “5 security questions” or email, or phone number.

We enforce MFA by safe ip, theoretically anyone off site or vpn should be prompted but I’ve been dropping hints that needs tightening up

Ok, I've got the test tenancy so I can have a look, I must have misunderstood. It's not as simple as if they forget their password they get a new temporary one emailed to their personal email, but another form of authentication as well?

I used to love password resets when I started, because I knew I could do it and could make friendly chat with the person whilst I did as opposed to sounding stressed. It's probably helped me as much as my tech skills.

Last edited:
So I went to do it this morning as my enquires elsewhere yielded also zero results.

It points first to us as the main contact and then to the CSP who the boss switched to buying licenses from last year. The email isn't real and their website is a portal I don't have access to and the boss is on holiday and I can't reach him (and I'm a bit embarrassed to ask about something so "simple")

I assume that you worked for an MSP who normally buy their own licences from MS.

This should fix your issue anyway.

If I understood it correctly.

ETA adjust the command to just change it for the affected user.

Ok, I've got the test tenancy so I can have a look, I must have misunderstood. It's not as simple as if they forget their password they get a new temporary one emailed to their personal email, but another form of authentication as well?

I used to love password resets when I started, because I knew I could it and could make friendly chat with the person whilst I did as opposed to sounding stressed. It's probably helped me as much as my tech skills.

Yeah resets were fun but mostly on site when I did them so piece of piss.

You can set it up so it just emails with one I think but there’s options on the portal to make it strict and send the code to unlock and reset password elsewhere - just that added mfa to it.

Apparently some users are upset at putting personal details in - which is just urgh.

I assume that you worked for an MSP who normally buy their own licences from MS.

This should fix your issue anyway.

If I understood it correctly.

ETA adjust the command to just change it for the affected user.

Yes I do, but we buy them from CSP now for most clients. My hazy understanding is that MS aren't interested anymore unless your huge, I assume there's a cost benefit to doing it this way. I bloody hope so as the portal you buy them through is a nightmare compared to just doing it through 365.

The sparse results I can find on Google all point to time zone stuff (and maybe it is), but I haven't found it yet and have tried the PowerShell. I do appreciate you looking for me though. :)

Yeah resets were fun but mostly on site when I did them so piece of piss.

You can set it up so it just emails with one I think but there’s options on the portal to make it strict and send the code to unlock and reset password elsewhere - just that added mfa to it.

Apparently some users are upset at putting personal details in - which is just urgh.

Yeah, it's something I certainly will look at, along with learning more about conditional access. I've done security default for one client, but that's really easy of course, it's just dealing with the users. Some where unhappy about having to have Microsoft Authenticator on their personal phones, but it had come from their boss ,so wasn't my problem. Just after I'd finished MS decided that you could use a text instead for it. On that note I've a tiny amount of sympathy for your first line if they are the ones having to deliver the bad news to awkward users.

Yes I do, but we buy them from CSP now for most clients. My hazy understanding is that MS aren't interested anymore unless your huge, I assume there's a cost benefit to doing it this way. I bloody hope so as the portal you buy them through is a nightmare compared to just doing it through 365.

The sparse results I can find on Google all point to time zone stuff (and maybe it is), but I haven't found it yet and have tried the PowerShell. I do appreciate you looking for me though. :)

Good luck.

One thing I was confused about.

If you enter three different meetings in different times. Do they all appear at the same time on outlook?

Good luck.

One thing I was confused about.

If you enter three different meetings in different times. Do they all appear at the same time on outlook?

Thanks. Yeah, it's fucking weird. Like create an entry and instantly moves to todays date and time.

Yeah, it's something I certainly will look at, along with learning more about conditional access. I've done security default for one client, but that's really easy of course, it's just dealing with the users. Some where unhappy about having to have Microsoft Authenticator on their personal phones, but it had come from their boss ,so wasn't my problem. Just after I'd finished MS decided that you could use a text instead for it. On that note I've a tiny amount of sympathy for your first line if they are the ones having to deliver the bad news to awkward users.

They've way to much to do and not enough of them so I get it. They also don't get brought into projects and if they do it's the manager whose awful or the veteran whose competent but doesn't do tech if he's not used it just been around for years

There's to many projects and project managers and not enough core staff. One more bit of software won't actually fix it if we can't sort basics

Nuke outlook and start again clean to test it.

I've reinstalled Windows and the problem persisted. FWIW it's really hard to properly nuke Outlook isn't it?

I've used a test account from a different tenant in a different Outlook profile and I don't get the problem

I even created a new profile on Outlook on my laptop and had him sign in with his details and we get the same problem.

How does it appear in Desktop Teams?

Good question. I don't use the calendar in Teams and so didn't think to check.

On this I would also turn off cached mode in outlook and see how it appears as well.

I don't think that would make a difference because of what I've already tried, but will have a look.

I've reinstalled Windows and the problem persisted. FWIW it's really hard to properly nuke Outlook isn't it?

I've used a test account from a different tenant in a different Outlook profile and I don't get the problem

I even created a new profile on Outlook on my laptop and had him sign in with his details and we get the same problem.

Good question. I don't use the calendar in Teams and so didn't think to check.

I don't think that would make a difference because of what I've already tried, but will have a look.

My reasoning is that I think its a display issue. But proof is in the pudding 👍

Archive his inbox and wipe his mail from 365 and start again, reimport the pst of the old mailbox.

This is a big step though

Jesus. I'd had thoughts like that, but must confess to being a bit scared, but it's getting to nuclear options. I should definitely lab this one before I try it. It will be butt clenching interesting learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom