Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

They tell you how long is left, but not what speed you download is running at.

I just like to be reminded sometimes that I have expensive internet.
Fair enough unless it's a torrent it's usually so little time it's irrelevant. Then it tells me anyway.

They'll be fine. You can't even imagine the conditions I've seen some disks live through. I've got a 17 year old one still sat in my PC that's suffered unbelievable torment and still lives. This is not to say that HDDs don't die, but the environment isn't as big a factor as sheer randomness is.

They'll be fine. You can't even imagine the conditions I've seen some disks live through. I've got a 17 year old one still sat in my PC that's suffered unbelievable torment and still lives. This is not to say that HDDs don't die, but the environment isn't as big a factor as sheer randomness is.

I don't trust any hard drive. Until recently I had some very ancient ones. Not sure any that old. I'm still running my first SSD in my media server.

Must get round to making my backups better, setting up Veeam is still on my list of things to learn.

Reactions: Chz
This can be a way to use all those old invalid stamps you have kicking around - stick them together to make four little bricks to create spaces between each drive - that'd be perfect.

This can be a way to use all those old invalid stamps you have kicking around - stick them together to make four little bricks to create spaces between each drive - that'd be perfect.

I could do that.

I have 33,000 Germany 50s - 70s that I bought cheaply with a view to break down and sell on. The stock cards they are on have more value than the stamps!

It was way back, when it doesn't occur to you that if there was value, they wouldn't have been so cheap in the first place. :facepalm: A bit like forgeries, we all have a few, but no one deliberately bought them.

Can't you offer them as a job lot on a FoTL site

"face value 500 thousand billion Marks, value of Mark in 1999 was 2 to the Euro. THESE ARE GENUINE NOTES".

The highest value stamp in the inflation period was this:

1688659066016.png

Fifty billion Marks.

The day before currency reform, you needed four of those to send a postcard across Berlin. That wasn't what you paid though, due to shortages of stamps you paid four times the value of the franking, so eight hundred billion Marks.

The day after, you paid 6Pfg. :)

I’d be a lot happier with MS authenticator and MFA in general if the protocols actually remembered my devices and, in authenticators case in particular, I didn’t have to enter my PIN code half a dozen times for a single unlock

I've still not been able to install MS authenticator - the site tells me I need to enable DOM storage or cookies although I've already done that, and that I have to use a mobile for 2fa although I hardly ever use a mobile because I've got no mobile coverage.

Uggg. Nothing like Monday morning when the phone just starts ringing as people can't connect and I've not even finished my fist cup of tea. Restarted a rdgw server and it seems to be working. Not an auspicious start to the week though.

I've no idea why Microsoft now take you to Entra if you click on Azure AD from the 365 control panel, but I'm trying to get used to it.

However trying to disable security defaults and can't find it anywhere. Gave up and went to the "old" panel though Azure.

All the MS documentation tells you this is the way to do it. :facepalm:

I've no idea why Microsoft now take you to Entra if you click on Azure AD from the 365 control panel, but I'm trying to get used to it.

However trying to disable security defaults and can't find it anywhere. Gave up and went to the "old" panel though Azure.

All the MS documentation tells you this is the way to do it. :facepalm:

Have just got around to creating a dev environment and it turns out they enable security defaults which means you can’t set app passwords up so you can’t just use that for automating connecting to graph via powershell :facepalm:

Have just got around to creating a dev environment and it turns out they enable security defaults which means you can’t set app passwords up so you can’t just use that for automating connecting to graph via powershell :facepalm:

Yes, think it's the default on all new tenancies and it's being enabled on older ones without them asking. Putting it under Properties seems odd as well.

I understand why they are doing it, but it's a pain.I also wish there was a better way to get overview of users with "modern" MFA. I think there's more tools on more expensive subscriptions.

Everywhere I’ve worked so far has used CA so you don’t really get a good look at user settings for mfa with it even if works

It’s very frustrating explaining there’s no real tag for mfa once it’s set up though and that the old mfa portal is garbage once you enable it

Everywhere I’ve worked so far has used CA so you don’t really get a good look at user settings for mfa with it even if works

It’s very frustrating explaining there’s no real tag for mfa once it’s set up though and that the old mfa portal is garbage once you enable it

We've only got a few clients with the license for that. Even worse, the old MFA portal doesn't even show they have MFA setup, which confused the hell out of me when I started.

At the moment I’m balls deep in setting up CA to replace the manual mfa process here and trying to persuade people to sort out moving over so I do feel your pain.

I thought CA was a basic feature just needs to be explained to the users and existing admin and the time to set it up?

At the moment I’m balls deep in setting up CA to replace the manual mfa process here and trying to persuade people to sort out moving over so I do feel your pain.

I thought CA was a basic feature just needs to be explained to the users and existing admin and the time to set it up?

No you need Business Premium or 365 E3 or above or buy AAD P1 or P2 or EMS E3 or E5. So not confusing all all.

The boss is currently setting up for mobile devices at one client for their cyber essentials. What seems weird is that on Android you get a seperate partition on the device and download (or push) the apps again, iOS you just install company portal and continue as normal....

Can I ask how everyone does their SSL certs? It's not something I do at work, but have been playing at home. I've got my Remote Desktop Gateway with a free one from let's encrypt using Certify the Web and Cloudflairs API but my actual understanding is hazy at best.

I got it to work by making a fake entry in ISS which I'd never used before, but not worked out how to do it for other servers, especially none windows ones like vSphere.

Depends on where the cert is. Purely internal things get a purely internal cert. Distributing our internal Certificate Authority is a part of the build process for everything.
Externally, I would ideally use Let's Encrypt but we're a University and we're supposed to use JISC's service. I look after 150 or so certs and keep everything in a spreadsheet, with the actual grunt work around it put into scripts. It's a right PITA, but I'm stuck with our chosen provider. Every time an external resource asks if they can just use LE instead of getting a cert from us, it's "Yes, please!".

Back
Top Bottom