Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

What's the piece of kit in the picture?

its the 0.5 inch heavy machine gun - we sent the Pesh 40 of them and a training team a couple of months ago. the 'kit left over from Afghan' stuff was in relation to Fallons' comments about training the Iraqi's and Kurds in counter IED, and we've got loads of UOR stuff with no budget to keep it going, or that has already been superceeded by other stuff.

makes sense really, we'd get fuck all for it in scrap.

Just adding this on end, not right thread i know, but reckon people here will like to see it - regime goon torches his own manorial house as rebels close in

I've been reading Loretta Napoleoni's analysis of IS - book called The Islamist Phoenix. Found it clearly written and as im no expert i found it fairly illuminating.
Does anyone have an opinion on her?

interviewed here, summarising her understanding

one point she made in the book, nor particularly deep but i liked it, was how she compares the US record of nation (re)building in Iraq vs what IS have achieved -in comparison to funds and power it really does show up just what a failure the US handling of their war has been

I've been reading Loretta Napoleoni's analysis of IS - book called The Islamist Phoenix. Found it clearly written and as im no expert i found it fairly illuminating.

one point she made in the book, nor particularly deep but i liked it, was how she compares the US record of nation (re)building in Iraq vs what IS have achieved -in comparison to funds and power it really does show up just what a failure the US handling of their war has been

Very soft interview, hardly mentioned the brutality that IS has demonstrated,made "ethnic cleansing" sound no worse than putting people on the bus and moving them elsewhere, and her assertion that they will limit themselves to the small area they have captured?
She's obviously a fan, but naive or an opportunistic apologist?

Politically she is well dodgy and i wouldn't touch her with a ten-foot bargepole. I started on her book (put it here) but her style and clear professional interest in bigging up ISIS' success and modernity put me right off so i binned it. Check her apologia for china's authoritarian capitalism as well: Maonomics: Why Chinese Communists Make Better Capitalists Than We Do.

Last edited:
Politically she is well dodgy and i wouldn't touch her with a ten-foot bargepole. I started on her book (put it here) but her style and clear professional interest in bigging up ISIS' success and modernity put me right off so i binned it.
you mean she benefits professionaly from making ISIS seem more successful than they are? TBH I havent read anythign in the book that overly inflated their success, though perhaps its pretty short on their shortcoming.

I didnt read anything in the text that really raised an eyebrow, but her job did get my radar pinging

you mean she benefits professionaly from making ISIS seem more successful than they are? TBH I havent read anythign in the book that overly inflated their success, though perhaps its pretty short on their shortcoming.

I didnt read anything in the text that really raised an eyebrow, but her job did get my radar pinging
I do like a bit of understatement:thumbs:

Al Jazeera & Reuters reporting it too......100 ISIS dead (hope it's true).
Kurdish peshmerga fighters have fought their way to Iraq's Sinjar mountain and freed hundreds of people trapped there by ISIL fighters, a Kurdish leader said on Thursday.

"The peshmerga have managed to reach the mountain. A vast area has been liberated," said Masrour Barzani, head of the Iraqi Kurdish region's national security council, adding that 100 members of the Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (ISIL) had been killed. "Now a corridor is open and hopefully the rest of the [Sinjar] region will be freed from Islamic State."
http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...atebesiegedsinjarmountainfreeinghundreds.html

These quotes are from someone in a Kurdish support group on Facebook.

Kurdish forces on the outskirts of Shingal (town). The 70x10 km corridor is secured and first tracks with food for Yazidis and fighters are on the way...

Large number of people from Arab clans who were collaborating with ISIS in massacring Yazidis trying to reach Syria. Yazidi units are closing the escape routes and .... it's not going to be nice

Can't imagine phil will be heading out their to interview traumitised isis fighters who have been captureded as their wont be any and nobody will care.

The Daily Vile is now alleging that IS is selling organs from live hostages. There don't seem to be any reliable news sources reporting this. I call bullshit. Why do they have to make things up, considering the existing charge sheet against IS? Who benefits most from this kind of story? Whose patsy is the Daily Mail? :hmm:

I'm sure they would if they could but cant see it as a viable plan.
Same story was being told during kosovo that albanians were doing it too serbs. Again wouldnt doubt that albainan maifa would if they could but cant see it as something you could pull off.
Daily mail claim they sold the organs of their dead fighters :facepalm: cant really see an organ transplant team rushing around a battlefield or airstrikes leaving many healthy organs.
The fuckers massacre kill aid workers practice slavery domt really need to add anything tomthe charge list.

I'm sure they would if they could but cant see it as a viable plan.
Same story was being told during kosovo that albanians were doing it too serbs. Again wouldnt doubt that albainan maifa would if they could but cant see it as something you could pull off.
Daily mail claim they sold the organs of their dead fighters :facepalm: cant really see an organ transplant team rushing around a battlefield or airstrikes leaving many healthy organs.
The fuckers massacre kill aid workers practice slavery domt really need to add anything tomthe charge list.

I thought there was quite a compelling case organ transplants took place:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_theft_in_Kosovo has quite a good overview.

The biggest whopper there is "The jihadist group has until now filled its $2million-a-year war chest"...
You may be right. I'd have thought their budget would be bigger, and they make a fair bit from ransom, to say the least. Do you have a good source on this? (Not doubting you, just glad to have more info.)

Sorry for delay, had to go buy teabags as well. Can't seem to find the killer article i had in my pocket archive but a quick google brings up loads anyway:

Fuelling Isis Inc - $1-5 million a day just from bootlegged oil - never mind taxes, theft, auctions, kidnappings,smuggling etc - and Napoleoni mentioned above as the world 'expert' on the financing of terrorism reckons they have savings of at least $2 billion (p.31).

Back
Top Bottom