Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

I see in his cunning plan he states the Syrian president will, of course, have to be ousted . Regardless of what the Syrian people have to say on the matter . Which strikes me as the central object of the proposed exercise using these dreadful beardies as a caucus belli . What he's talking about is essentially declaring war on the Syrian people in order to effect regime change . With IS playing the role of handy excuse .

There's no need for boots on the ground , or indeed air strikes . Just stop fucking arming and assisting terrorist groups in the region . This nightmare has been very deliberately created by a host of foreign powers . And is being perpetuated by them as we speak . For their own strategic ends .

Meanwhile getting back to the point I was making earlier about state services within IS held areas . It seems one of the first people they sought out for decapitation was the head of nursing services at Palmyra hospital . Along with her entire family . I've read elsewhere of a Syrian soldier who was on leave when this assault happened being sent an image on his phone of the 19 year old daughter of his CO decapitated in the street . Prompting him to make his way back there immediately .

Those are the very people who need assisting . Instead they are the ones this entire western campaign is being waged against .

Don't you live in London Batboy? We've had Islamist terrorists blowing up trains and hacking the heads off soldiers!

Yep and as I clearly said in my post I shouldn't have concerns but do.

On the surface Its a bit irrational but the easiest way to explain it is living in London I would be a 'random' target I am a native (I am not a soldier or Policeman), living in Pakistan/Syria/Afghanistan/Yemen/Iraq/Libya/(add other like places), I would be a 'specific' target as I would stand out as a white European/foreigner. Add to this the security levels and control in London are more consistent and doable than those in say Bahgdad or Kabul.

I can take my chances with being a random target but when it comes to being a specific target for who I am/represent and what I look like, then I go with more caution.That I think is a good rationale. I would not visit Pakistan at present or any other places that are embroiled in extremist turmoil/problems. Would you, would anyone here?

There are other places in the world that could become embroiled in some of this shit that is going on, Malawi is potentially one of them, the seeds are there. I am also amazed Dubai has not been targeted by Islamist extremists, it has bomb me written all over it

Home Office on Malawi

There is a low threat from terrorism, but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

American politicians saying arm the Kurds. I thought this had been happening for a long time, but maybe not because the Iraqi govt is opposed. If so, fuck the Iraqi govt & give the Kurds all the arms they need.
As the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS reels from major setbacks in halting the extremist group’s continued creep into Iraq and Syria, lawmakers from across the aisle Sunday said the U.S. was failing to use what could perhaps be its best weapon against the ISIS offensive: Kurdish forces that are begging to get into the fight.

Gabbard recently co-sponsored an amendment in the House National Defense Authorization Act to directly arm Kurdish forces
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/24/kurds-isis-us_n_7430990.html

Arm the Kurds, piss off the Turks who are already privately backing elements of ISIS. There is no quick solution to this mess including that of arming the Kurds.
I'm not saying it's a quick solution but it seems an obvious necessity. And since Turkey is already backing ISIS, to hell with them.

Would you, would anyone here?

These places are never anything like the potrayal in the meeja so I would and have. I've been to Syria and Saudi in the past few years. I wouldn't hesitate to go Pakistan beyond the fact that it holds no particular appeal.

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Islamic State (ISIS) militants have executed at least 400 people in Palmyra since capturing the Syrian city on Wednesday, including women, children and the elderly, the official Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.

Dozens of victims were government employees, including the head of the nursing department at the National Hospital, who was killed along with her entire family, SANA quoted reliable sources in the city as saying. It said the militants were hunting down government loyalists.

“ISIS terrorists slaughtered and mutilated at least 400 civilians, including children, women and elderly people,” the agency reported. They “were killed on charges of loyalty to the Syrian government and disobedience to ISIS,” it said.

“Thousands of other residents are besieged inside the city as ISIS has prevented them from leaving,” it added. “The residents are having their properties seized by ISIS members.”

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/25052015

Arm the Kurds, piss off the Turks who are already privately backing elements of ISIS. There is no quick solution to this mess including that of arming the Kurds.

Oh there is a quick solution Iraqi freedom 3 or is it 4? The US getting its war on again would smash Isis in days.
Fortunately no one wants that.

The new massive regional funding of the Syrian rebels in the north west (and soon the south) is what you should be keeping your eye on, as soon as that came through Idlib fell and other significant gains have been made alongside substantial re-organisation and co-operation. That's what's going to threaten ISIS over the coming years and provide one side of the scissors that eventually takes their head off.

yeh because the americans did such a sterling job of swiftly overcoming all resistance to them in 2003 :facepalm: it's like the last decade never happened.

They smashed the Iraq army it was the insurgency/civil war they were shit at dealing with. Isis would not be able to hold any ground against the US forces.

There is . Make very clear to all states arming terrorist groups in the region they'll be placed on the list of states that sponsor terrorist groups and face all the sanctions that go with that . Have western states follow their own fucking laws . Except they'll turn around and point out the US and Britain has been at it too . So the US and Britain need to knock it on the head as well .
This attempt at regime change has, as was perfectly foreseeable, spawned a monster . Indeed a number of monsters . Just as it did in Libya .

Where according to Seymour Hersh, it appears both MI5 and the CIA are deeply implicated in the transfer of the Libyan arsenal to terrorist groups in Syria . Hundreds of tonnes of weapons via Turkey . One boat alone carried 400 tonnes .

As the western states own intelligence files indicate they were pretty sure in advance what would happen in Syria once they began destabilising . To approach this issue on the basis the west don't want this chaos is very naive in my view . It was perfectly foreseeable . But they did it anyway . Which means in essence they got what they wanted .

Like the Taliban can't ?
i think dylanredefined was talking about full-on positional battles in which isis would bring out its tanks and the americans would bring out their tanks and the two would duke it out till one of them was gone. but i don't things happen like that any more and if the americans did decide to go back in they'd better be more savvy than they were before lest they make matters worse. but going in would in and of itself make matters worse because all of this clusterfuck, being as it's a proxy war being fought by the saudis and iran and the gulf states - the yanks jumping in the middle would splash everything wider.

These places are never anything like the potrayal in the meeja so I would and have. I've been to Syria and Saudi in the past few years. I wouldn't hesitate to go Pakistan beyond the fact that it holds no particular appeal.

So on that basis, would you go to Syria tomorrow?

i think dylanredefined was talking about full-on positional battles in which isis would bring out its tanks and the americans would bring out their tanks and the two would duke it out till one of them was gone. but i don't things happen like that any more and if the americans did decide to go back in they'd better be more savvy than they were before lest they make matters worse. but going in would in and of itself make matters worse because all of this clusterfuck, being as it's a proxy war being fought by the saudis and iran and the gulf states - the yanks jumping in the middle would splash everything wider.

But the Saudis and the gulf states to a large extent are the US and British proxy in the region, who've just been sold squillions more in hardware . The yanks are already in the middle making it worse . They've been at this 4 years now and simply aren't going to stop the destruction of the very country they deliberately set out to destroy .

But the Saudis and the gulf states to a large extent are the US and British proxy in the region, who've just been sold squillions more in hardware . The yanks are already in the middle making it worse . They've been at this 4 years now and simply aren't going to stop the destruction of the very country they deliberately set out to destroy .
syria? or iraq? or both?

incidentally, after 9/11 it's not so clear who the proxy is in the relationship between the usa and sa.

There is . Make very clear to all states arming terrorist groups in the region they'll be placed on the list of states that sponsor terrorist groups and face all the sanctions that go with that . Have western states follow their own fucking laws . Except they'll turn around and point out the US and Britain has been at it too . So the US and Britain need to knock it on the head as well .
This attempt at regime change has, as was perfectly foreseeable, spawned a monster . Indeed a number of monsters . Just as it did in Libya .

Where according to Seymour Hersh, it appears both MI5 and the CIA are deeply implicated in the transfer of the Libyan arsenal to terrorist groups in Syria . Hundreds of tonnes of weapons via Turkey . One boat alone carried 400 tonnes .

As the western states own intelligence files indicate they were pretty sure in advance what would happen in Syria once they began destabilising . To approach this issue on the basis the west don't want this chaos is very naive in my view . It was perfectly foreseeable . But they did it anyway . Which means in essence they got what they wanted .

The point I made is that there isn't a quick solution is amplified by you highlighting how everyone is at it including the US and the UK in arming people. They are not going to stop as simplistic as your 'solution is' it won't happen. The genie is out of the bottle and was the moment Blair and Bush decided to invade Iraq and set off a chain of events that is still going on today. I depressingly see things getting worse not just in the middle east but globally. The rise of Jihadism and religious conflict is nothing new as history tells us. What is new is the scale of death and destruction that modern weapons can bring. We never fucking learn.

Travel advice from the Government (UK not Syria)

In June 2013, the Syrian government issued a new law stating that individuals who enter Syrian territories illegally will be punished by a prison sentence of 5 to 10 years and/or a fine of 5 to 10 million Syrian pounds.

There is widespread fighting throughout Syria, including in Damascus and its suburbs. Full scale military operations involving the use of small arms, tanks, artillery and aircraft are ongoing. In Aleppo and elsewhere, the regime has been undertaking an indiscriminate campaign of aerial bombardment since mid-December 2013, using so called ‘barrel’ bombs – huge containers packed with explosives and shards of metal dropped by helicopter – against largely civilian targets. The situation remains extremely volatile.

On 21 August 2013, a conventional and chemical weapons attack took place in the suburbs of Damascus. There have been a number of recent media reports alleging further use of chemical weapons in Syria.

Fighting has caused the temporary suspension of commercial flights, closed roads, impeded access to land border crossing points and led to the closure of some border crossings.

There is a high threat from terrorism. There are continued attacks across Syria including in major cities, leaving large numbers of people dead or injured.

There is a very high threat of kidnapping throughout Syria. There have been a number of kidnappings, including of British nationals and other Westerners. There has been an increase in the number of reported kidnaps of both NGO workers and journalists in the last few months. If you travel to Syria to fight, and your activities amount to offences against UK terrorism legislation, you could be prosecuted on return to the UK.

According to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, there has been a significant increase in the mass execution and unlawful killing of civilians and detainees in northern Syria in recent weeks.

If you choose to travel to Syria against FCO advice, you should make sure you and your family have valid exit stamps on your travel documents if you need
one and take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance.

As a result of the ongoing political and security instability and the implementation of sanctions against some Syrian institutions, financial transactions have become significantly more difficult. See Money.

Back
Top Bottom