Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

Saddams army was woeful when your armoured brigade loses a fight against milita on foot you know you have problems.
saddam's army fought the iranians for many years. they didn't really bother fighting the americans in major operations, but they showed a certain skill in the minor ones.

i can't see what they could gain from a defence of jj when i would have thought even they might realise they're on something of a sticky wicket with this one. no matter how i spin it in my mind it seems to me to be a loser for them all the way down the line.
Suggests to me that they have had contact with him for a long time and know what his media unveiling (security knew long before) is going to do to them - this is their prepared defence. Least worst defence sort of thing. And i expect there are some direct personal connections they are very worried about.

just imagine the psychology behind cutting someone's throat. how dark is the thought processes, how strange the beliefs...think about it. it's beyond comprehension.

Seems to me that they have had contact for a long time and know what his media unveiling (security knew long before) is going to do to them - this is their prepared defence. Least worst defence sort of thing. And i expect there are some direct personal connections they are very worried about.
yes: but it's goodbye from cage after today, i expect, as something in the region of 97% of people in this country think yer man's no redeeming features.

just imagine the psychology behind cutting someone's throat. how dark is the thought processes, how strange the beliefs...think about it. it's beyond comprehension.
by no means. there are many situations in which cutting someone's throat, while by no means nice, would be more acceptable than the way isis go about it. ffs, you've seen it done 1,000 times in films, films like guns of navarone etc etc etc. just there they didn't make a speech and do it as an execution to a non-combatant hostage.

Just listened to the beginning of the CAGE press conference, apparently Jihaad John is remembered as a good bloke , very kind who brought them in cakes when they were doing some work for him.Then some long story about how he was harassed whilst trying to go on holiday in Tanzania by both Tanzanian and British security for for some reason thought he might be engaging in terrorism.

And local sunni tribes maybe - if there is still space for them to have an impact in terms of immediate support/resistance,and then on the question of being viewed as occupiers - this from a year ago is worth a quick read despite the source.

Interesting, ta. I wasn't clear on tribes - and found this definition here on Open Democracy (also talks of Assad regime deliberately creating tensions between Kurds & tribes in al Hasakeh)

Tribe is a term that may be used loosely to describe a localised group in which kinship is the dominant form of organisation, and whose members consider themselves culturally distinct from the rest of the population in terms of customs, dialect or language, and origins.

They went nowhere near it and were never going to for simple tactical reasons - the religious reason they gave is that they do not smash un-worshiped statues and shrines and the turkish one fits (they say).
by tactical you mean because it isn't wise to force the hand of the turkish forces by desecrating something so tied to turkish history, or simply that they were militarily unable to do so because of terrain, spread of forces, etc?

He seems to think this is very fucking funny, the mouthpiece - there's a bizarre disconnect between his breezy demeanour & the murderous shit he's discussing. He reminds me of Blair, vaguely.

Back
Top Bottom