Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The housing crisis (London and beyond)

I bought a flat here at the start of the year. If councils cant afford to build and maintain new social housing anymore, then perhaps they can give away the land to Community Land Trusts like the one i benefited from.

Worth noting though it wouldnt be a replacement for council housing, these homes do require a 10% deposit, and means to pay the mortgage, therefore be in full time employment. Its more filling the gap for working people who can no longer afford their own home in London due to prices.

I bought a flat here at the start of the year. If councils cant afford to build and maintain new social housing anymore, then perhaps they can give away the land to Community Land Trusts like the one i benefited from.

Worth noting though it wouldnt be a replacement for council housing, these homes do require a 10% deposit, and means to pay the mortgage, therefore be in full time employment. Its more filling the gap for working people who can no longer afford their own home in London due to prices.

That sounds like a great scheme, house prices in London are insane, Im lucky , I am old, and bought in 1997 when someone on an average salary could buy a home at a reasonable price.

Riding around on the Underground over the weekend I saw more than one poster that proudly proclaimed that London has entered a golden era of council home building. Any comments?

Riding around on the Underground over the weekend I saw more than one poster that proudly proclaimed that London has entered a golden era of council home building. Any comments?
Wouldn't call it golden , but my Council is building more , when I started there 14 years ago , it didn't do new build. The golden era was post war , if we replicated that , then I'd agree with the golden era description.

Contrary to popular opinion you don't own the airspace above your property but you do have some rights up to a certain height. This is essentially a scam. What they're selling is the possibility of building another floor on the top of an existing building IF the council grants planning permission which isn't automatic.
If you don't get it you've been fiddled out of £10K.

Contrary to popular opinion you don't own the airspace above your property but you do have some rights up to a certain height. This is essentially a scam. What they're selling is the possibility of building another floor on the top of an existing building IF the council grants planning permission which isn't automatic.
If you don't get it you've been fiddled out of £10K.
Sounds about right. I think next door has done it so probably more likely although then it seems a bit cheap frankly for a developer.

Also, crossposted from a Manchester thread, this short documentary can go here as well:

"Over the last couple of decades, the face of Manchester has been irreversibly changed. Skyhigh tower blocks are thrown up in the blink of an eye. Cultural spaces, pubs, and cherished communities are surrounded by slick skyscrapers playing host to luxury housing that the majority of Mancunians will never be able to afford.
Homelessness is still a visceral reality in Manchester, social housing has all but dissapeared, and the level of deprivation is exactly the same. So, who is this new skyhigh luxury housing for?
Developer profits are at obscene levels and young professionals are flooding into the city. This documentary follows a group of resident activists in Hulme, who aren't accepting the mass gentrification and displacement of the relentless private rental machine."

anyone seen this today?

"Mayor launches major new programme to convert private housing into council homes – with an aim for 10,000 additional council homes in the next decade"

my initial reaction is :hmm:

especially if (as some are suggesting) it's diverting money that was intended for building new homes in to buying existing ones (including buying back former council homes that were sold off cheap that will presumably be bought back at market price)

can see something to be said for getting more homes available at social rent

but on its own, it won't increase the supply of housing at all, seems like a chance for existing BTL landlords to cash in, and what happens to the existing private tenants (some of whom may not qualify for social housing, especially if they are single people) when they get evicted so the place can be let to whoever's on the housing waiting list?

And your thoughts on this 50 minute YouTube video, Karl Masks? It's really tedious when people just post videos (especially really long videos) without comment.
Really? I posted because I thought people would be interested. Not sure why you'd find it tedious.

Personally I think the landlord guy is a performative clown for the tik tok age. I don't think he will ever understand the systemic nature of the problem with capitalism. He believes he's providing a service and that he's doing society a good thing by using his capital, as it were, to meet a need.

Really? I posted because I thought people would be interested. Not sure why you'd find it tedious.
Read what I said:

And your thoughts on this 50 minute YouTube video, Karl Masks? It's really tedious when people just post videos (especially really long videos) without comment.

Personally I think the landlord guy is a performative clown for the tik tok age. I don't think he will ever understand the systemic nature of the problem with capitalism. He believes he's providing a service and that he's doing society a good thing by using his capital, as it were, to meet a need.
Doesn't sound like a good way of spending 50 minutes tbh.

he would be if he were to offer housing at low rental costs which I doubt he is.

This podcast was mentioned in the guardian, it is sponsored by Lloyds :hmm: must admit I’ve not listened yet but I will give it a whirl at some point

Might as well post this here as well:
In this seminar, speakers will consider the effective use of Rent Repayment Orders in challenging rogue landlords in the private sector, evaluate weaknesses and further need for reform. They will particularly consider how the Renters (Reform) Bill and other pieces of new legislation propose to enhance tenants' rights, by the extension of the powers of tribunals in making Rent Repayment Orders and other regulatory reform to improve housing conditions, and enhance tenants’ rights.

Further, speakers will consider the development of the effective use of disrepair and fitness for human habitation claims within the county court in civil actions. There will be an update on housing conditions legislation and case law, including “Awaab’s Law”, the implementation of which is currently under consultation.
Will probably be even longer than 50 minutes, but might be a better use of time than watching someone debating with a dickhead landlord?

Amnesty UK are saying:

31% of children aged four and under are admitted to hospital each year with respiratory conditions caused or exacerbated by damp & mould.

34 children died between April 2019 & March 2022 with homelessness & temporary accommodation factors contributing to their vulnerability, ill health or death.

29% of children in the UK are living in poverty.

90% of low-income households on Universal Credit are without essentials.

illustration of above statistics

Also:

100,000 more households living in temporary accommodation
- a 5% increase (year-on-year at the end of 2022).

A 26% increase in number of people rough sleeping
(year-on-year at the end of 2022).

A 37% increase (3 million) parcels distributed by the Trussel Trust to food banks
(year-on-year 21/22 to 22/23).

Before Our Eyes: Short Film with Olivia Colman & Adrian Lester

Back
Top Bottom