Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Graham Linehan Shitshow

He's gone completely down the rabbit hole, just like Lozza. He's obsessed, poisoned by hatred. He can't hear himself, he can only say the rehearsed phrases that get him applause.

Of course he's claiming to be cancelled. But as long as he's booked to appear, booked to speak, paid to write, he's not cancelled at all.

Prejudice is an illness and he needs intensive care.
Actually you only have to look at the shenanigans at this year's Fringe to see that's not true. He clearly is cancelled. What you mean is that his cancellation doesn't go far enough in your view

Do you reckon it might be dementia? When Ken started ravings about Nazis all the time, people were quick to disassociate; but in retrospect it was just the onset of his dementia.

I realise that a lot of this goes back a ways - the famed episode of The IT Crowd that's been "cancelled" - but what started just as a mild intolerance can progress to an obsession.

Edit: I don't mean to make excuses for the twat, it just sort of popped into my head. I realise, as lazythursday says below, he just looks insane to me and probably knows full well what an asshole he's being.

Last edited:
A point made in Naomi Klein's new book is that people who step into this alt-right 'mirror world' (as she terms it) might look like they've lost the plot and beyond the pale to many of us, but they gain huge amount of attention and respect in the new world they're operating in - and usually plenty of income too through algorythmic rewards on the various platforms.

Actually you only have to look at the shenanigans at this year's Fringe to see that's not true. He clearly is cancelled. What you mean is that his cancellation doesn't go far enough in your view
He's had two long form blogs in the Telegraph, an interview in the Daily Mail, he's not "cancelled". He is "restricted", and quite rightly, but not "cancelled".

What you mean is that his cancellation doesn't go far enough in your view
In a nutshell this is why the whole concept of cancellation as a bespoke phenomenon painted as it is primarily by reactionaries is pretty silly. People can be "cancelled" and still have huge platforms. What is actually meant by it is "people who I'd like to accept me don't, and that upsets me," by which the cancelled person generally means prestige platforms that had previously been accessible. No-one's "cancelled" me from any major Fringe events, I'm just not invited. Being given the cold shoulder by old mates because you've been a tosser (or even just because you've upset tastemakers) isn't new either, it's as old as society.

Last edited:
In a nutshell this is why the whole concept of cancellation as a bespoke phenomenon painted as it is primarily by reactionaries is pretty silly. People can be "cancelled" and still have huge platforms. What is actually meant by it is "people who I'd like to accept me don't, and that upsets me," by which the cancelled person generally means prestige platforms that had previously been accessible. No-one's "cancelled" me from any major Fringe events, I'm just not invited. Being given the cold shoulder by old mates because you've been a tosser isn't new either, it's as old as society.

Yeah this. I think there's often an idea underpinning it that there's some sort of Oxford Union debating society thing going on where each side gets to put their case and pushing back against that is somehow unfair. Which is all very reasonable except it's about a million miles from actually being true isn't it. It's a very convenient fiction for the people who have by far the upper hand in terms of what and who gets heard though.

I do. It is all his own doing, of course, but on a human level, of course I have sympathy for him. He’s backed himself into a corner where he appears to be picking up all kinds of reactionary and conspiratorial thinking, and his mental health seems to have suffered. It’s a real shame. He was a talented writer, and I still think his sit coms are among the funniest TV in the last quarter century and more.

It’s perfectly possible to feel sorry for arseholes.
Fair enough. Suppose I was thinking about someone like David Shayler who went down the full conspiracist route but, it soon turned out, was seriously ill. I haven't really followed Linehan's trajectory, beyond the obvious headlines on his trans views. The stuff posted upthread seemed to be coming from an unpleasant rather than unwell place, thus my shortage of sympathy. I suppose though, when it comes to intense high profile social media battles, particularly on gender critical territory, the moment when he could have reset is long gone.

From PopBitch:

The trouble with bubbles

The intensity of internet discourse can sometimes create an overinflated sense of just how interested the general public is in certain stories.

For instance, Graham Linehan's new memoir Tough Crowd: How I Made And Lost A Career In Comedy sold 390 copies in its first week - including pre-sales. A figure that fails to place it in the Top 1000.

To put that into context, titles that did crack the Top Thou include: a large print wordsearch book in at No.551, which sold more than twice that; and a colouring book called Dinosaurs Around The World, which sold over 2,000.

From PopBitch:

A follow-up:

In the last mailout, we ran a short piece on the first week sales of Graham Linehan's recent memoir - which kicked off a week of people telling us we are liars, making things up and pulling numbers out of our arses.

We weren't. The numbers were pulled from Nielsen BookScan, the tool the publishing industry uses to assemble the weekly charts. What you read in Popbitch last Thursday was nothing you wouldn't have read in the Sunday Times Bestseller List (had the Sunday Times Bestseller List gone on long enough to reach it).

There's been calls for us to retract the story, but we feel that would risk undermining the hard-won, legitimate chart victory of the colouring book Dinosaurs Around The World.

Besides, we'll gladly tell you that Graham's had a much better week of sales this week. This week's Nielsen BookScan has him as having sold 3,255 copies. A mere six units behind The Dinosaur Who Pooped Halloween.

not blaming anyone, its not a topic of blame, people listen to whatever music they like most
it is amazing though how the facts of objective reality dont get in the way of peoples prejudices

not blaming anyone, its not a topic of blame, people listen to whatever music they like most
it is amazing though how the facts of objective reality dont get in the way of peoples prejudices

TBH, I thought at first you had posted that link on this thread by mistake, but apparently not.

I'm still completely baffled as to the point of posting it here, or the relevance to any discussion about Graham Linehan.

TBH, I thought at first you had posted that link on this thread by mistake, but apparently not.

I'm still completely baffled as to the point of posting it here, or the relevance to any discussion about Graham Linehan.
Look at the OP first post on this thread - Graham Linehan is racist moaning that white people cant make it in music anymore .... despite the fact that white people dominate the charts

Last edited:
1712801181833.jpeg

Apparently he was back online an hour later calling someone a ‘bearded clam’ :rolleyes:

In rather more savoury news Calean Conrad has made this announcement:

I'm on Cook'd and Bomb'd and we've been following this cunt for years. He's on a Free Speech Union-sponsored jolly down under but it hasn't stopped him ranting on Twitter and sending abuse to people. Anyone with a fucking brain can tell it's not about protecting women and gay people - look at how quickly he turns on women or gay men who disagree with him. He has a habit of typing 'APOLOGISE TO YOUR MOTHER' to women who call him out but joke's on him, my mum thinks he's a cunt who's gone bananas too (although she'd word it more politely). He calls gay men who disagree with him 'Vichy gays'. He also claims he's sticking up for autistic people...but he's on Kiwifarms. I used to be on there and they do NOT like autistic people. The damn site was set up to harass an autistic person. A lot of its targets are autistic. And treating autistic people like naive idiot children is not helping us.

He's also become a hardcore Zionist and seems to think being pro-Palestine makes you pro-trans, or that 'woke' people are pro-Palestine, 'woke' people tend to be pro-trans as well so therefore pro-Palestine = 'woke' and BAD. He was pro-Palestine in 2018 but has now decided that anyone who opposes the genocide of Palestinians must support Hamas and/or is an antisemite, which is a bit rich coming from a man with his tongue rammed up actual antisemite Elon Musk's arse. So he's not just telling women how to be good women or gay men how to be good gays, he's telling Jews how to be good Jews as well.

A point made in Naomi Klein's new book is that people who step into this alt-right 'mirror world' (as she terms it) might look like they've lost the plot and beyond the pale to many of us, but they gain huge amount of attention and respect in the new world they're operating in - and usually plenty of income too through algorythmic rewards on the various platforms.
Case in point: Matt Le Tissier. Currently claiming the government are controlling the weather. Saints dropped him as their ambassador and he got sacked from Sky, although I think that was part of a clearout. He never went into management or coaching like many of his contemporaries. Now he's on conspiracy podcasts and the only channel willing to host him is GB News because they're antivaxxers as well. He's also got plenty of conspiracy theorists and far right nutters willing to blow smoke up his arse and love bomb him, and he's clearly enjoying the attention he gets. There are enough Saints fans who agree with him as well. I mean, I love Sheffield Wednesday but that doesn't mean I have to agree with Chris Waddle about how refugees should be drowned or Chris 'I love Jacob Rees-Mogg' Turner. Joey Barton has gone the same way, except unlike Le Tissier, he's also gone full fash and bullied Eniola Aluko to the point where she was considering leaving the country because of all the threats she was getting from his fans.

Case in point: Matt Le Tissier. Currently claiming the government are controlling the weather. Saints dropped him as their ambassador and he got sacked from Sky, although I think that was part of a clearout. He never went into management or coaching like many of his contemporaries. Now he's on conspiracy podcasts and the only channel willing to host him is GB News because they're antivaxxers as well. He's also got plenty of conspiracy theorists and far right nutters willing to blow smoke up his arse and love bomb him, and he's clearly enjoying the attention he gets. There are enough Saints fans who agree with him as well. I mean, I love Sheffield Wednesday but that doesn't mean I have to agree with Chris Waddle about how refugees should be drowned or Chris 'I love Jacob Rees-Mogg' Turner. Joey Barton has gone the same way, except unlike Le Tissier, he's also gone full fash and bullied Eniola Aluko to the point where she was considering leaving the country because of all the threats she was getting from his fans.
They are back to doing aerosol droplet tests to see if it impacts on global warming in California at the moment. Nothing new Soviets were
Keen on silver nitrate for inducing rain...used it to protect Moscow post Chernobyl...not the same as controlling the weather.and if they really could control the weather that's not only an mic drop argument for man made global warming NASA would probably want a word that's serious terra forming

I'm on Cook'd and Bomb'd and we've been following this cunt for years.

Yeah I was reading it this morning and thought I’d put a couple of select bits on here ( seems to be Lozza Fox heavy / Glinner light afaict).

Which union has paid for this trip to Australia?

They are back to doing aerosol droplet tests to see if it impacts on global warming in California at the moment. Nothing new Soviets were
Keen on silver nitrate for inducing rain...used it to protect Moscow post Chernobyl...not the same as controlling the weather.and if they really could control the weather that's not only an mic drop argument for man made global warming NASA would probably want a word that's serious terra forming
The USA seeded clouds to try to make it rain over North Vietnam, after they had bombed the dykes, to try to create floods.

Back
Top Bottom