Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

No matter how many times I see plants do something cool, it never loses its magic. Went out this morning and snails had eaten halfway through the stem of one of the last batch of tomatoes (they're still pretty small what with the recent lack of sun), not quite enough to kill it but it was lying on its side looking pretty miserable. Went back this afternoon and it'd already grown over a centimetre of adventitious root from above the chewed bit, enough to get down into the soil and perk the leaves back up. All the volunteers too - tiny baby seedlings that sowed themselves, only to be ripped out of beds or cracks in paving and carted around in the bottom of a watering can or a bag in my pocket or heeled in to five different places before eventually potting up, and they somehow survive all that and grow into plants :cool:

The most efficient way to grow the maximum food in the least space in the least time - and no watering.

No faff - apart from the learning curve - drill holes in a bit of pipe, add nutes to water, switch on pump and there you are. I have seen no indication so far that I will need to adjust the PH ... the guy in the video below refuses to own PH or TDS meters.
My interest started because I wanted to grow watercress ... and even wasabi is a naturally quasi-hydroponic plant - but that will take a dedicated bit of greenhouse in a future garden ...

I see it as a bit like growing plants under lights.
Once you've tried it, you'll always want to do it at least some of the time ...

If this is a success I can see my BIL having a go - since he's a skilled tradesman and that aspect may appeal.
They have no garden to speak of and this makes use of vertical space and keeps plants away from pests and in their case, spaniels ...

Oh it's Mike VanDuzee! I've been an intermittent viewer of his for a couple of years. Well worth watching.

Nasturtiums are one of the things I've not bothered sowing this year, just pricked out volunteers and replanted them where I want them. As an experiment I'm going to try doing that with everything next year - not sowing any seeds (with the exception of some veg, but even that I'll try to let self-seed where possible), just rearranging stuff that's grown itself and maybe poking a few cuttings in where I want them to grow.

O clicker...if you were growing this in the US, I would be inclined to agree with contadino and seriously consider the possibility of Rose Rosette Disease (although there are other symptoms, such as canes becoming limp and rubbery, leaves looking malformed and a general flushing of red. However, this has not, afaik, arrived in the UK. Some years ago, I grew an Austin rose, 'Compte de Champagne' which also threw up anomalous canes most seasons. While I never really got to the bottom of why, it didn't seem to have deleterious effects on the rose itself. There are some possible reasons including herbicide drift, cane damage (with a hoe) or, as already mentioned, the rootstock throwing a sucker. The canes which arise from the rootstock are always different to the normal foliage (from the named scion).Paler, matte surface, more sets of leaves (as mentioned by Leafster) If you could take a picture of the leaves, it would be helpful. I wouldn't immediately assume it was problematic.

Ah, I had zero germination from thunbergia alata, gentlegreen. I seem to recall the same happening last year apart from a single seedling which didn't get going till November. I had one feeble bloom on Xmas day!

Nasturtiums are one of my guaranteed self-seeders, iona. Californian poppies, limnanthese, nigella, , corncockles, calendulas, forget-me-nots are all totally reliable while cornflowers and larkspur seem to need a bit of assistance. Cosmos and nicotianas are useful volunteers in a mild winter.

So sweetheart held my hand at the allotment today, offering emotional support to this stressed gardener (after the gloom of the weekend). We did all the apples, weeded the strawberries, grubbed out a tattered box (box moth) and hacked a way through a chaos of bindweed, bramble, wild oats, mallow and fat hen, which had run amok under cover of an immense tree paeony, and a jumble of mint, lavender and sweet cicely. I had to be quite brutal with a lot of volunteers (lychnis, anthemis, ox-eye daisies and campanulas...to make way for later summer flowers

I can't get in my shed at the moment because daughter went off with my keys. Mostly because the shed is buried under 3 gigantic, roses. Can't get to my tea-making tackle so had to nip the shop to buy beer, which was definitely a good idea. I also noticed several forgotten plants, like meeting old friends. Especially my pink umbellifer, pimpinella rosea (took me a long time and several attempts to grow one of these). I came home much cheerier. I Have a plan for the roses, I think.

Last edited:
<snip>
USER=50258]campanula[/USER] why has my new rose thrown off the really thorny shoot on the right? It looks different to the others. Should I leave it or chop it? It's about 2ft long atm.
View attachment 325985

I've a whole rose that looks like that ! [but the spiny shoots start a long way above the graft]

I was wondering if it was a "reversion" if it isn't a sucker from the rootstock or stem stock.
[I had a rose a few years ago, until the f******ing rabbits de-barked it, that had two grafts to give a "standard"]

I'd still cut it away and dispose of it (black bin or burn), whether it's above or below the graft.
[I had a rose a few years ago, until the f******ing rabbits de-barked it, that had two grafts to give a "standard"]
How did that work? Different flowers on the same plant?

I grafted a white mulberry and a dark mulberry onto the same almond once and it grew to have different coloured fruit on the same tree.

When I went around Renishaw Gardens recently, the head gardener showed me a genetic peculiarity they have. It's a tree that contains two different spieces in the same plant. It has Laburnum flowers and also some light blue flowers (apols, can't remember the other species). Not a graft, not a cross, cells of two trees in the same tree. I was so interested in how excited he was about it that it wasn't until I was on my way home that I started thinking about the plant itself, and I daren't go back because the visit ended up being quite expensive.

contadino - tall stem grafted onto a vigorous rootstock to give added height, at the top of the main stem was grafted the final flowering stock.
When I bought it, I was told I might need to rub off buds from the main stem to keep it from growing side shoots, and it might need staking for stability.

Hang on. Please explain in detail .
Only kidding :D

But I'm growing them everywhere - I've lost count of how many plants I've raised from seed.
There are six trailing down over my porch and four of those were grown from seeds I rescued from slugs in the park last year - and I hope it may become a talking point though I have fears that the ones in th park may get plundered ...

Annoyingly after two attempts I have only one teeny canary creeper germinated. (species number 2)

I started playing with my NFT system yesterday and actually got water flowing but I need to wait to pick up a gutter / downpipe end as I need to get the water out of it a lot more quickly - plus some silicone to seal stuff up. So my pump is definitely up to lifting the water to my elevated pipe.
Annoyingly the outlet from the pump is slightly smaller diameter than the irrigation hose so I have some fiddling there with random pipes, reamers, cable ties, rubber tape - plus silicone of course. Somewhere in my chaos I have jubilee clips (appropriately) and I'm trying to resist buying more when I only need one ..

The roots on the seedling plants should be long enough... If not, I will have to start the system off as passive - perhaps with airstones - and let the level fall slowly before switching to a pumped system ... I may see if I can find a deeper container for my bubbler - but the principle seems sound :)

roooots.jpg

Some of the amaranths sprouted within 24 hours which bodes well :)

amaranth2.jpg

Last edited:
O clicker...if you were growing this in the US, I would be inclined to agree with contadino and seriously consider the possibility of Rose Rosette Disease (although there are other symptoms, such as canes becoming limp and rubbery, leaves looking malformed and a general flushing of red. However, this has not, afaik, arrived in the UK. Some years ago, I grew an Austin rose, 'Compte de Champagne' which also threw up anomalous canes most seasons. While I never really got to the bottom of why, it didn't seem to have deleterious effects on the rose itself. There are some possible reasons including herbicide drift, cane damage (with a hoe) or, as already mentioned, the rootstock throwing a sucker. The canes which arise from the rootstock are always different to the normal foliage (from the named scion).Paler, matte surface, more sets of leaves (as mentioned by Leafster) If you could take a picture of the leaves, it would be helpful. I wouldn't immediately assume it was problematic.

Ah, I had zero germination from thunbergia alata, gentlegreen. I seem to recall the same happening last year apart from a single seedling which didn't get going till November. I had one feeble bloom on Xmas day!

Nasturtiums are one of my guaranteed self-seeders, iona. Californian poppies, limnanthese, nigella, , corncockles, calendulas, forget-me-nots are all totally reliable while cornflowers and larkspur seem to need a bit of assistance. Cosmos and nicotianas are useful volunteers in a mild winter.

So sweetheart held my hand at the allotment today, offering emotional support to this stressed gardener (after the gloom of the weekend). We did all the apples, weeded the strawberries, grubbed out a tattered box (box moth) and hacked a way through a chaos of bindweed, bramble, wild oats, mallow and fat hen, which had run amok under cover of an immense tree paeony, and a jumble of mint, lavender and sweet cicely. I had to be quite brutal with a lot of volunteers (lychnis, anthemis, ox-eye daisies and campanulas...to make way for later summer flowers

I can't get in my shed at the moment because daughter went off with my keys. Mostly because the shed is buried under 3 gigantic, roses. Can't get to my tea-making tackle so had to nip the shop to buy beer, which was definitely a good idea. I also noticed several forgotten plants, like meeting old friends. Especially my pink umbellifer, pimpinella rosea (took me a long time and several attempts to grow one of these). I came home much cheerier. I Have a plan for the roses, I think.
Thankyou..normal leaves on left and the ones from the thorny shoot on the right...they both look healthy, but different shades.
20220607_112556.jpg

I think that would be a chimera, contadino - a hybrid between cytisus and laburnum - labunocytisus Adamii although the colours are yellow and a pinkish colour from the cytisus. In truth, it is more of a botanical oddity rather than a worthy garden plant. There are loads of these in the fruity world - weird hybrids of plums, apricots and such. I have one myself - a hybrid almond which is crossed with peach - prunus x amygdalo-persica 'Robinj'. I wouldn't recommend it, tbh as the weird green almonds are not very nice...although it is the very first blossom of the year and illuminates the whole plot.

The new growth is not from rootstock, clicker. Rosa canina var laxa (the usual choice for grafting scion buds) are smaller, with no surface sheen. I wouldn't worry too much, at this point, until new buds appear on the anomalous cane (when you can check for fasciation, proliferation or witches brooms).

My hydro system seems hunky dory - but I will run it at least 24 hours before entrusting my plants and moderately expensive nutrients to it.
I managed to not injure myself until right at the end :)

I've done what I can to make it silent by rubber mounting the pump to a pavior.
I think the remaining slight noise is being emitted by the semi-rigid feed pipe to the top of the system so that needs some sort of a sock - or a rubber coupler - which might be a good idea anyway because of the bodging I had to do to connect the hose to it.

I suspect I may want to adapt the outlet adaptor / filter (2 litre water bottle) so it maintains enough of a level that I can usefully deploy a float switch that I have so I get a warning if the water stops flowing.

When I bought the pump decades ago I made sure to buy two - and I even have one or two teeny ones too ... and I have the facility to restrict the flow - perhaps to the point of having water permanently in the system.

Therein lies the key problem with active hydroponics - common mode failure.
I suspect that in my future hydro setup I will have more than one pump and battery backup - I think I was planning to have a header tank when I played with drip irrigation in the greenhouse...

Hopefully I won't need any, but annoyingly I'm pretty sure I chucked the roll of spreader mat that had rotted in the shed along with all the lovely dry nutrients so all I currently have are some moderately expensive veg nutes I bought from the local hydro shop - but I see even Nutriculture stock the same ones and no dry nutrients...

i'm trying to grow red lantana plants to attract hummingbirds. anybody try this?
Global warming hasn't quite got to that level in the UK :D

But lantana - there's a borderline edible version of that.

DAMN I want lantana now :p

Hopefully my marigolds, nasturtiums and helichrysums will provide some of that colour ...

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 18-03-15 HELICHRYSUM BRACTEATUM MIX SEEDS (200 seeds) (Xerochrysum br...png

Last edited:
I have so far failed to get the fishing floats I bought to work as a depth gauge in the mini hydro tanks, but I've come up with a soulution for the NFT sump using three corks and a chopstick :)

It's a shame I don't know any friendly car mechanics. A brand new fuel gauge and sensor costs more than I want to invest in this garden...

I will deffo be inserting my level switch to remotely warn of system failure - annoyingly it's normally "on" when the level is high so I will have to use a relay.

floatindicatorsmall.jpg

Sigh, I would so love to have hummingbirds. I have had lantana before, ages ago...it was one of those here, then gone, one season plants (I have a LOT of experience with these fleeting garden participants). I grow a lot of hummingbird fodder - Texas sage (salvia coccinea), standing cypress (ipomopsis rubra), various penstemons, bee balm (monarda didyma). I grow quite a lot of US plants after forum friends from various states have been swapping seeds for years. I even fell down the prairie rabbit hole with silphiums, rubbeckias, dalea and such. Spent an inordinate amount of time poring over the Lady Bird Johnson native plants listings. Where are you based, bcuster ?

Your garden experiments look slightly terrifying to me, gentlegreen. My eldest, however, is much more keen on engineering stuff...which is why I have a still half-finished irrigation set-up in my garden...but my outdoor tap has sprouted some enormous thing, with knobs and dials. I am still vaguely pointing the hose in the direction of the flowers and wandering off for a cup of tea.

Sigh, I would so love to have hummingbirds. I have had lantana before, ages ago...it was one of those here, then gone, one season plants (I have a LOT of experience with these fleeting garden participants). I grow a lot of hummingbird fodder - Texas sage (salvia coccinea), standing cypress (ipomopsis rubra), various penstemons, bee balm (monarda didyma). I grow quite a lot of US plants after forum friends from various states have been swapping seeds for years. I even fell down the prairie rabbit hole with silphiums, rubbeckias, dalea and such. Spent an inordinate amount of time poring over the Lady Bird Johnson native plants listings. Where are you based, bcuster ?

Your garden experiments look slightly terrifying to me, gentlegreen. My eldest, however, is much more keen on engineering stuff...which is why I have a still half-finished irrigation set-up in my garden...but my outdoor tap has sprouted some enormous thing, with knobs and dials. I am still vaguely pointing the hose in the direction of the flowers and wandering off for a cup of tea.
Any tips for growing monarda campanula ? I keep failing, mildew or no growth then death. And I bloody love that plant.

After 3 springs of failing to germinate a single monarda seed, I bought some plugs this year and they're romping away. The cambridge scarlet ones are what I've been trying for. They were the biggest plugs in the order by quite a stretch so I may have gotten lucky. I'll be taking cuttings for sure, just in case.

Touch wood, my salad production should be automatic from now on - I'm amazed how much froth comes out of the bottom of the return pipe so the water is definitely getting oxygenated and if my pump really is managing 600 litres per hour - the approx 20 litre sump is getting recirculated 720 times a day ... I suppose I ought to put a bucket under it and see ..
I've secured everything that can be secured.
It will be interesting to experience the yield and climate window for an outdoor hydro unit in the UK.
I have 15 planting locations 150mm apart and have that many different kinds of things to plant in them ...
I think the porch unit is going to be watercress only ...

So I'm wondering what to plant up the back if I get up there and expand the compost planter part ... ... :hmm:

EDIT:-

I set the trough up by feel and I seem to have ended up with roughly a 1:40 slope or 2.5 degrees - which is pretty well optimal - except that it sags a bit towards the end - but so long as the water flows, that'll be fine ... doubtless it may need tweaking as the trough fills up with roots ...

And my other big experiment - covering all points of the compass with morning glory - I still have my fingers crossed for that - but they're steadily climbing skywards - as are the lumps of golden hop I transplanted on the east-facing fence ...I have one ipomoea alba in a pot which I'm not sure about yet - it would have been a lot easier if I hadn't given away all my bamboo :facepalm:
Perhaps I'll come across a suitable pole and I'll make a high tech obelisk ...

And Parker - and everyone else are trying to sell me stuff when they haven't delivered the stuff I already ordered :p

Last edited:
Not bad for 3 days :)
I wonder how edible this ornamental amaranth is - I won't be short of plants to spare :)

EDIT:- just checked and it even says on the seed page that it's just like spinach :)

amaranthsprouts.jpg

Back
Top Bottom