Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Yep all the sycamore leaves are down so I raked up the first four or five barrowloads yesterday :).

Have planted all the bulbs but have some seeds to go in now. Only thing is that the seeds I put in last month(ish) are up but aren't very big yet and I'm not sure how they're going to grow over winter even in the (unheated) greenhouse.

All the birch leaves are down but only two thirds of the sycamore and ash.

I did get the lawn mower out last weekend but really only to hoover up the leaves on the lawn, patio and some of the paved paths.

I've got some bulbs to plant this weekend which I've had for two or three weeks.

I've been working on a new border for a good while now. It used to have mature shrubs on but I wanted a bit of colour. It's south-west facing and gets a lot of sun. I divided a pot-bound miscanthus (much hacking, pulling apart and swearing) and planted it with some rather vigorous Salvia Amistad I bought and the wallflowers I grew from seed. Stuck in some daffodil and iris bulbs at the front and will shove some geraniums to the left at some point. Crocus bulbs somewhere. Quite pleased with my efforts - we'll see what next year brings.
salvia miscanthus wallflower 26 Oct 21.jpeg

I went to get another load of John Innes and multi-purpose stuff today...and was warned to expect a 40% increase next year. 10 bags and 3 multi-purpose mixer cost me over £60...and that is the trade price from my local nursery. Would have been over £80 at the garden centre. This year, I noticed a vast drop in quality (bye-bye Westland, Levingtons, J Arthur Bowyers, leaving me with just Clover John Innes (although fortunately also the cheapest, as well as the best). I need to source a good supply in tonne bags...but this is an enormous risk if the soil turns out to be shit. And I don't want anything resembling the 2 sorts of 'topsoil' commonly sold round my way (crap spent mushroom compost (laughingly referred to as 'black fen soil') or the stony, brownish 'loam'. And certainly not wanting to buy the soilless multi-purpose mixes which are only fit for a 3-4 month growing season. It is getting to be an issue, given the amount of soil I buy and use over a year (at least a coupla tonnes).

I am working up to the garden overhaul - a huge job which involves emptying all the raised beds of enormous roses, indigofera, clems, ferns, numerous woodies (salvias, fuchsias, parahebes, hardy geraniums...O, a long list, so that I can raise the soil levels and replant all the hoarded potted perennials. The only plants staying in pots will be those with their own storage systems (tubers, bulbs, taproot, corms)...or tiny auriculas, lewisias and sempervivums. Everything else has to go in the ground...somewhere. This is the part of gardening I hate. Dithering, faffing with too many varieties of single plants (so it always looks a fussy chaos). However, all the plants are full grown...so at least I won't be committing my other common crime - overstuffing and failing to allow for growth.

I brought in my tuberous begonias before I lose them - I'm wondering if I can cheat nature by taking cuttings and raising them under artificial light ... :hmm: perhaps even have flowers indoors in winter ?
I was careful to label the best of the two - lemon-scented, more flowers etc ... so I will at the very least want to re-start the tuber early and take cuttings then ... I don't recall if I ever managed to overwinter one in the greenhouse ... since I no longer have that, I'll be making provision in what will eventually be the kitchen - so a much warmer environment. - ditto spider plants and brugmansias ..
The fuchsia is more robust so I will leave it outside unless there's threat of a hard frost - so Thursday night at least ...

I've just been getting all the delicatish plants in the greenhouse, plus all the plant pots that I don't think will survive a frost. The other plant pots I've been out treating with a liquid that seals them a bit and will keep them dry outside so hopefully I won't lose them in a frost either.

I brought in my tuberous begonias before I lose them - I'm wondering if I can cheat nature by taking cuttings and raising them under artificial light ... :hmm: perhaps even have flowers indoors in winter ?

We took in a mini-Fuschia to the conservatory that was doing very well in the garden. It dropped most of its flowers and leaves lol. Meanwhile the one in the garden in a pot with some bacopa is still flowering happily away.

I was glad I took my begonias in ... the spider plants appear to have come through unscathed, but my brugmansias got slightly singed by the wind - I'll give it a few days to write off all potential flowers - a shame I had no fleece ...
Temp back up to double figures now :)

frosted.jpg

no, just walked past it by chance today. we were all gonna get together this weekend to sort things out and safe what we could. It's all fucked now.

on the road behind the snail mural.
I've walked along C...... Road many times, but never noticed a food growing space, TBH. Is it actually visible from the road?

Looking on google maps satellite view, there appears to be something off R....... Road, near to P.... House. Is that it?

(I'll happily remove these names from my post if you want me to, just easier to do it this way rather than by Private Message)

Last edited:
just drafting an email to the local Councillor. Nothing better to do ey :rolleyes:

Do you have a contact for the Haringey Allotments Forum?

They mostly deal with council owned allotments, but I'm sure they would be interested to hear about this, and help publicise what's happened if you need help.

Do you have a contact for the Haringey Allotments Forum?

They mostly deal with council owned allotments, but I'm sure they would be interested to hear about this, and help publicise what's happened if you need help.
send it over if you have pls. Thanks

Question. I've just bought more bare root geraniums :rolleyes: - Johnson blue though which are lovely. I was thinking of overwintering them in the greenhouse but I read that will actually weaken them.

So they're in fairly small 4-inchish pots outside. Would I be better actually planting them where I'll want them? Or ok to leave in pots? I'm just wondering whether they'll be more exposed to frost in pots (Cornwall though, so not incredibly hard frosts).

Back
Top Bottom