Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Yeah I wasn't claiming otherwise, just posted it as a rough indication of when would be more likely than Feb. My garden's the opposite, got its own little microclimate that barely ever gets frost at all.
Sorry, was just trying to make a general point rather than criticise you or your source.

May i suggest you consider.. a crowbar? Just to lift one or two of the paving slabs, and plant stuff, maybe. :D
Not sure...looks like really hard work. Outside of the fenced area is quite a large area of open grass/shrubs (not "mine" but not sure anyone would care if I planted a few things there!)

I don't risk anything tender until the first week in June. Have been caught out by late May frosts so I am generally very cautious, We can get a damaging ground frost even though the air temperatures suggest otherwise...not that I grow many tender plants. Often, a rapid thaw is more damaging, to plants, than the actual freezing. Many hardy plants have a sort of cellular antifreeze, and as long as frozen plant matter is not faced with the easterly rising sun, most limp and drastic looking foliage can recover - I know this from fatal experience. Blossom is always susceptible with consequent fruit losses. So anyway, the end of this week is the main sowing date for courgettes, sweetcorn, zinnias, morning glory and so on, as I allow 6 weeks of germinating and rooting before transplanting outside. There can be a surprising differential, even in one garden, as little micro-climates are everywhere. My home garden is a tiny, brick courtyard, enclosed by 7feet brick walls in the centre of town. I can leave tender scented-leaf geraniums outside all winter, while alstroemerias bloom for 10 months. The allotment dips down from street level (frost pocket) and is exposed to scything easterly winds.
Callie I bought a wildflower and native grass mix from John Chambers. Also, you could check out the Cotswold Seed Company or Emorsgate seeds. These are responsible seed merchants who offer specific mixes (mine is the Heritage calcareous 80/20 mix). You can also buy single species such as cowslips). If you are making a wildflower area, do pm and I will tell you about mine.
Just reminding Anna Karpik - have not forgotten about roses (have a couple more questions), will post soon as.

Fucksake

IMG-20210408-084227.jpg

View attachment 262234
Has anyone seen the film Esio Trot? I'm envisioning turning my little patio into something like the balcony in that film.
Haven't seen it but thats what i thought when i saw your garden, things hanging all down the walls and other things growing up to meet them, will be lovely.

I'm getting a little extra joy from the sproutings that come from seeds that I didn't buy but saved from last years flowers, love that they're the second generation of MY plants, thats somehow even better.

All those bits of tissue and folded up paper and plastic bags have (mostly unlabelled :rolleyes: ) seeds in them too
I work on the principle that I'll find out what they are eventually :) or I won't doesn't really matter either way unless I put plants wanting full sun in shady places or vice versa, so I do tend to mark 'full sun' on those that have done well this year.

I have ordered 1000 x 7cm pots and 500 labels so I am sort of prepared for the pricking out which is looming closer. What is going on with composts though...specifically, any of Westlands. I generally use Clover's John Innes 3 but had to settle for Westlands...and now have 10 bags of rubbish - 50% sand. I can't use it as it is so might just keep it for hypertufa.
New pots are like new socks. I only use square pots and I like them to be uniform. I got multicoloured labels, with some vague idea of colour-coding saving me from descent into chaos.

1000 :eek:

I've just ordered some incredipeatfree compost which looks interesting (from Thomson&Morgan though spit :mad:).

I've also used Durstons peat free which is really good but i'm only an amateur so I wouldn't take my word for it.

I've just realised I fucked up term dates and although I'm volunteering at the same site this Tues, college (and the college shop, which sells cheap but non-shit peat free compost) isn't open for another fortnight :facepalm: Loads of stuff needs pricking out or potting on and no sign of the compost housing association were meant to have ordered weeks ago, so gonna have to either lug a sack of shit shop stuff home on the bus or fork out for online delivery

Durstons do a pallet of something like 40 x 20kg for £120 odd quid if you can convince them you're trade (I think, they didn't get back to me). Thomson & Morgan (spit :mad: ) do a reasonable delivery charge - I've ordered 2x70kg of the Incredicompost.

Durstons do a pallet of something like 40 x 20kg for £120 odd quid if you can convince them you're trade (I think, they didn't get back to me). Thomson & Morgan (spit :mad: ) do a reasonable delivery charge - I've ordered 2x70kg of the Incredicompost.
I only need a bit to get through the next couple weeks and there'd be delivery access & storage space issues with a whole pallet's worth. Just ordered a sack of my usual Melcourt for about the same price as that T&M stuff - be interested to see what you think of that when yours arrives though.

I have been on nana duties and haven't seen the allotment for over a week. Tulips which had been shyly hinting are now brazenly preening.
Brutal rose pruning today. Some of them have gotten completely out of hand. Many of them are bloody great wild things which have grown to monstrous proportions. The 2 single reds which bookmarked each end of my plot, engulfed most of my gravel garden (Scharlachglut, a massive gallica) and a moyesii, which had never been pruned and was now a 5m x 5m behemoth. The main problem is dealing with the arisings from 100roses (although there is now a modest 60ish). Thankfully, the slackers in the plot next to me, never appear, so I use their plot to dry the canes over the summer, then burn them.

Seeds sown in my raised beds are just starting to come up. I sort of wish I was less stoned when I put it all in. No notes or labels.
I've in the past actually been quite good at labeling as I plant the seeds. The labels have either been washed clean by the watering or rain though, or mushed in the case of paper ones.

A couple of years ago I bought some proper plant labels and a sharpie which has helped enormously. :)

Back
Top Bottom