Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I planted one of those in my front garden last spring, seems to like it despite being in an exposed and windy spot. I think I just got mine from a local garden centre, they're the most common type to find.
Nice. I'll have to trundle up to our local nursery soon (Alexandra Nurseries in Penge, supposedly quite good, but also supposedly quite expensive).

I also planted two of these, the green one is doing well, the red one died, not as hardy:
Cordyline australis

Cordyline%20australis.jpg

TruXta Online nurseries are surprisingly good ime. Crocus has interesting varieties but isn't cheap. Thompson and Morgan is mostly seeds and annuals but sometimes have very, very cheap offers on bare root plants- they take a little longer to get established, though you don't have to do anything special.

E2a just checked and hayloft were the ones I used last year for things like big, quick growing choisya for the hedge and some shrubs and trees. Quick delivery too, in these very clever hexagonal boxes.

TruXta Online nurseries are surprisingly good ime. Crocus has interesting varieties but isn't cheap. Thompson and Morgan is mostly seeds and annuals but sometimes have very, very cheap offers on bare root plants- they take a little longer to get established, though you don't have to do anything special.

E2a just checked and hayloft were the ones I used last year for things like big, quick growing choisya for the hedge and some shrubs and trees. Quick delivery too, in these very clever hexagonal boxes.
Thanks!

I'm going to put some raised beds in for lettuce and salad plants. Plant some herbs in pots. Then, I'm going to finish painting the house so the whole thing doesn't look so trashy.

I have a cherry tree which will need pruning. I vaguely remember geminisnake telling me not to touch it if it's been frosty in the last month, so probably left til spring mebbe?

yep, thought I'd wait to see where the flowers are before pruning. No point cutting all the fruit buds away!!

And bamboo is invasive, have you planted in it pots? I'd hate you if you were my neighbour and it got into my garden :)

The cherry tree is currently in full flower. It's ancient, over grown and produces no fruit, so when it's warmer I'm going to prune it fairly hard and see how it likes that.
Clumping bamboos are not too bad to control if you keep an eye on them. If you plant them in pots they won't expand into proper stands like I want them to, won't grow as big as I want and need extra watering in the summer. I'm pretty handy with a spade, happy to chop out any errant culms.
I'm using it in front of a crumbling and a new wall, both have foundations deeper than the 45cm needed to act as barriers to spreading between gardens, so not worried about that.

We're on a slope, haven't seen any signs of flooding or pooling at all. Thank fuck. I see your neck of the woods is getting worse :(
Yeah, the rain's just reached us again and the wind is picking up. The flooding is still pretty localised along the A22 but there are reports of the side roads off it beginning to see problems too. :(

ETA: The water's just taken out the railway line again. :(

Really? They usually stock a few pairs in the "active" bit of the shoe section.

Oh, OK then, I was in the Brixton one last week looking at shoes and didn't see any, but then I wasn't looking specifically. Carry on :)

I just remembered that I'd promised myself we'd get a palm tree. We had a massive one in Brixton, was easily 15 ft tall and easily survived prolonged periods of frost and drought. Any ideas for which species is a good bet for a London garden?

The Canary Island Date Palm should be hardy enough for a London garden (phoenix canariensis) or, if you want to try something a bit riskier, the chilean jelly palm, Butia capitata, is a good one too. Get the biggest you can afford - the babies tend to be more tender while larger specimens will have adapted to our climate, being pot grown in the nursery. They grow quickly, from a massive base but gaining a trunk after 8 years or so. A fabulous plant.
The Morrocan fan palm, Chaemerops humilis, has beautiful glaucous foliage but has the fan shaped leaves rather than traditional arching fronds....but is also perfectly hardy for London.

ringo I did go to TK Maxx and much to my annoyance they only had kids' sized wellies. So I pootled next door to Shoe Zone and got a pair for 10 quid. Probably won't last all that long, but should do the job for a while.

I had to laugh at one point when they tried to flog me a pair that had those anti-theft magnets nailed through the wellie almost at heel level! :facepalm::mad:

They weren't even bothered when I pointed it out - as in he couldn't understand what the problem was. He literally used his thumb to try and smooth the hole out. I laughed at him, pointing out that there was still a hole there. He looked at me like he didn't know what I was on about. :facepalm:

Last weekend we bought 16 bags of sand. Well, bought 15 but the cashier miscounted.

Three have gone in one bed.

This weekend I intend to get at least one more...

Beautiful morning here in the big smoke so I've been in the garden having a deep and meaningful chat with some very overgrown and persistant ivy that has basically been owning and sucking the life out of one of the dividing fences :hmm:

1.5 hours later and I feel I have made my point...cut, cut, cut! :D

However jubilant I feel, I can hear/see the ivy kind of has the last word though as it sits there on the lawn, raked into a massive mound... 'Hahaha, what are you gonna do with me now?' It has a point. :facepalm: :)

35lz2ht.jpg

Does you council do green waste recycling Rutita1 ?

Glorious day here too, I've enjoyed wandering round the garden seeing what's coming to life.

Catkins on the red hazel
2 hellebores flowering for the first time
Crocus in flower
Daffs and other bulbs springing up left, right & centre

Back
Top Bottom