Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

picked up a gorgeously purple clematis earlier at the market - gave it a good soak before planting it proper, so fingers crossed it'll at least survive the night :D
2014-05-06 18.36.30-1.jpg
got a phlox for 50p as well, but I think I might've mis-timed it.
had a fair War on Brambles while I was out the front an' all. going to have to start working out a Plan for what to fill the gaps with :hmm:

Last edited:
:hmm:

I might just have room for a clematis or two ... the ranunculaceae are sadly under-represented generally .. and I'm lacking colour at height ...

I couldn't remember what I'd heard about how deep to plant them and found this :-

Got out there this afternoon to weed the raised beds and plant in some tomatoes and potatoes :thumbs:

eb3bzl.jpg

Am working on courgettes, beetroot and spring onions too.

Will mow the lawn on Friday when i'm off again now that the bluebells are dying, hopefully it won't be raining. :)

Got out there this afternoon to weed the raised beds and plant in some tomatoes and potatoes :thumbs:

eb3bzl.jpg

Am working on courgettes, beetroot and spring onions too.

Will mow the lawn on Friday when i'm off again now that the bluebells are dying, hopefully it won't be raining. :)
you've got so much room! I am in serious envy!

You are doing amazing things Manter, it's inspiring! This thread really does inspire me to keep going! I sometimes feel overwhelmed and lazy because of it, I have been lucky but I also need to make the changes/improvements happen! Size does not matter it really IS what you do with it! :)

I've just realised that Aldi's seed and cutting compost is deceptively stodgy.
It feels as light as B&Q MP, but it has a lot of earthy stuff in it - so the seedlings that came up were surface-sown or very nearly.
I've been potting on my tomatoes in it. Containerised stuff gets extra chicken poo.
Thankfully I have some old B&Q MP upstairs ...

not a climber, but a house at the end of our road has a ceanothus (spelling?) which is stunning- it's about 15 foot tall and just covered in flowers. I'll take a photo tomorrow. We have trees down our street that have red and pink blossom, too- there were drifts of it today, it was gorgeous

thanks @Rutita1… sometimes I get a bit beaten down by it all, and it's a small place that needs to do so much- kids play area, entertaining, plants, growing veg- I think I've designed it right, but I'm paranoid it'll end up looking cramped.

That is gorgeous. Ceanothus is one of my favourites. Used to have one growing over the wall back in the UK bit like this. Too exposed where I am now to even consider planting one.

Incidentally, why do you grow everything in buckets not the ground?
There's a backbone of permanent (evergreen) planting, but I have a very small town garden and I want to always have something interesting in focus from the main perspectives - and by being able to move plants around, I manage to do more with less (or rather, "fewer").
This year I did finally plant my hop and miscanthus in the ground, because I was finally satisfied that they were in the best place - thereby both curing the watering problem and freeing up two enormous tubs for my patio - they're more or less the scale that permanent beds would be - and I hadn't even considered the importance of planting so close to the house and containers let me see if it works.
The bamboo is an example of what can go wrong when you plant something in what turns out to be the wrong place...

Plus a lot of what I grow isn't hardy - so some of it is in the greenhouse and some of it is still seedlings.
So like most gardens, it builds to a crescendo over the summer.

Plus I now know I'm going to move at some point over the next 10 years - hopefully as early as 6 - otherwise I would probably build some beds where the pots are clustered - though even then I would probably just plunge buckets of lilies or whatever into ready-made holes.

Luckily as a minimalist, black pots "disappear" for me most of the time.
This year it occurred to me that I could possibly source some shiny black flexible sheeting to curve around the clusters of buckets.

In my retirement home, I plan to have sufficient space to do it properly.
At the moment the greenhouse and the bed in front of it (which is supposed to be full of salad), is a production line of buckets - all of which would ideally be out of view.

Even in places like RHS Wisley, they have container displays.

After 12 years I'm still not certain the tree fern is in the right place which is why it's still in its pot. Luckily it's rooted through the holes and the roots aren't that important anyway - and being above ground I gain a foot - which is about £50 worth of height.

Incidentally I have mixed feelings about tree ferns - they're somewhat "fake".

Last edited:
e4atyjeq.jpg
the ceanothus as promised :)

Amazing looking thing
8y8emeqe.jpg

aha! My friends and I were on a journey recently and we counted how many of these we could see with the kids.. they are gorgeous. My friend is a bit obsessed with purple and wants one. I'd like one too actually - are they easy to grow?

aha! My friends and I were on a journey recently and we counted how many of these we could see with the kids.. they are gorgeous. My friend is a bit obsessed with purple and wants one. I'd like one too actually - are they easy to grow?
Yes, very- this is usefulhttp://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=354

Though in my experience they can survive even when you are a bit brutal with them! Would be great in your garden as you're sheltered from the wind, aren't you?

I hate bonsai. Twisted, stunted versions of what should be big, glorious trees. They make me sad.

They're nothing to do with gardening really. They are an art form and a really old one for that. I would never buy a bonsai but would love to be able to grow one. It's really involved and takes years of work.
There is a Chinese doctor in A'dam whom has one in his shop and sometimes after he done me massage he will tend to it. It's an ugly thing tbh but still a work of art.

Back
Top Bottom