Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Fridge reopening as Electric Brixton

millets

Used to love watching gigs and some of the club nights there..

Would be great if it was back again...

If they did it up... obviously! lol

It was in the SLP the other day, some (brave) promoter has taken it over. How you compete with the megacorps is anyone's guess.

Or do you mean Electric Ballroom? One of the best old school gig venues in London town. Even if it is in shitty Camden.

That too - but what I meant was that the old Gold Coast opposite Tescos on Acre Lane is changing names to Electric Social.

Oh god, I thought that was becoming an old English mansion with an urban twist.

So it'll get confused with both Electric Brixton, The Electric Ballroom and The Social in the west end?

Oh god, I thought that was becoming an old English mansion with an urban twist.

So it'll get confused with both Electric Brixton, The Electric Ballroom and The Social in the west end?

The very same - fuck knows what Electric Social has to do with manordom and posh twats.

From Music Week:
A new live music venue, Electric Brixton, is set to offer promoters an affordable 1,500-plus capacity room when it opens its doors in September.

The venue was previously known as The Fridge, a popular South London club venue that also hosted occasional gigs. It has been closed since March however when the premises were sold to investment group Omni Assets.

But with central London crying out for a replacement for the now demolished Astoria, Omni has ploughed more than £600,000 to refurbish the club and is promising to offer promoters venue hire for as little as £2,000 per night.

“There simply isn’t a rock venue the size of the Astoria in London anymore, so we’re hoping to fill that gap in the market” said Omni operations director Steve Forster.

As well as providing a competitive hire fee and venue free of corporate sponsorship, Electric Brixton will have production parking on site, flat load-in to the stage, a d&b sound system, three dressing rooms and separate green room, as well as in-house security, box office and ticketing.

“We’ll promote the odd event in-house, but I don’t think that will be a significant part of our business as there are some fantastic promoters out there who can do a much better job than us – it’s a volume game so we want to be open as much as possible, mixing live with club nights,” stated Forster.

“I believe we need more independent venues to offer promoters more choice,” continued Forster.

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1045621

All sounds good to me, and they seem to have a half-decent business plan.

Though since when was Brixton central London.....? :D

Good luck to them.

It's on a good tube line, so it should have a decent pull. Sounds promising doesn't it? :)

ai good luck to em
only went there a couple of times iirc
and once i was lying on the stage :oops: :D

This article - http://www.whitebook.co.uk/story.aspx?storycode=6515721 - seems to give me more hope as there were a couple of things in the Music Week cut and paste job that made me think it would be the same as last time.

The previous relaunch was a bit of a farce; they just thought that SJM, Metropolis and Live Nation would flock there and they didn't. Iirc all they had was a Jack Penate show.

Meanwhile, though, the Scala has increased it's capacity to 1000 making that an even bigger competitor.

The new fella in charge has a long history of being involved with big venues and he knows his onions, by all accounts. I'm hopeful.

The new fella in charge has a long history of being involved with big venues and he knows his onions, by all accounts. I'm hopeful.

Yeah that link I did to whitebook explains it a lot better than Music Week (no surprise there).

After tonight I'm going to be the agent for El Jefe's dog disco. He has the bonus of having a Rottweiler as his assistant.

tyson.jpg

Back
Top Bottom