Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The French Revolution

BUMP
Any films (not documentaries) about the revolution, not sympathetic to the aristocracy?
Just watching a Scarlett Pimpernell (1935) and the presentation of the French republicans is hilarious

(Reno ?)

This looks interesting
La Révolution francaise from 1978, a two parter, six hours in all. Un peuple et son roi is a more reasonable length. History of the World Pt 1

There is a Powell & Pressburger Pimpernel. But let's skip over that.

BUMP
Any films (not documentaries) about the revolution, not sympathetic to the aristocracy?
Just watching a Scarlett Pimpernell (1935) and the presentation of the French republicans is hilarious

(Reno ?)

This looks interesting
In French but this has some suggestions.

Eta No Carry On Don't Lose Your Head for some bizarre reason...

Reactions: tim
Since starting this thread I have read:
Peter McPhee Liberty or Death, which was really even-handed and lacking in any of the usual handwringing. A good read as well.

I also picked up Daniel Guerin’s Class Struggle in the First French Republic, and couldn’t follow the flow of his writing. It seemed very repetitive in places. I will give it another go later this year.

Btw, I had previously mentioned Kropotkin's Great French Revolution - you can now get a nice new copy of this from AK Press - I think PM Press may have sold out though. but might be worth trying them. I got my copy from AK Press though.

Finally finished Peter Kropotkin's book. Thanks AmateurAgitator. This filled in quite a few gaps.

A few notes:
  • Tries to places the crowd in context and how it spurs on every action of the third estate and the National Assembly
  • Stresses the poor organising through the commune and how this was instrumental in various actions before 1793
  • Details the class nature of the National Assembly and how it only partially abandoned feudalism, and even reneged on seigneurial dues
  • National Assembly’s definition of citizenship: passive and active and how the attack on the Tuileries, 10 August 1792, brought about the National Convention and universal male suffrage
  • Provides a lot of background on the struggle for communal land and Republic's siphoning of emigre and church lands to the middle class
  • Development of communist ideas and tendencies within the revolution

Le Monde has started to publish some stuff in English

And this intro article is curious - what is 'too french'?

All of Le Monde's popular sections and themes will feature in the project, with the exception of a few specific subjects that are too "French."

The Sun will shine 🌞
We grow the food 😋
Build a nice hut to live in ..

What's so hard about that !

Looking for recommendations: books, essays and other materials related to the French Revolution.

Any talking points, or particular areas of interest are also gratefully received.
the French revolution was an inspiration

Started reading The French Revolution by Christopher Hibbert recently but am finding it heavy going, so some of these suggestions may be better.
Did a couple of scenes in Ridley Scott's latest recently which has sparked an interest. :)

Started reading The French Revolution by Christopher Hibbert recently but am finding it heavy going, so some of these suggestions may be better.
Did a couple of scenes in Ridley Scott's latest recently which has sparked an interest. :)
Are you looking for something short, or easy-reading?

Are you looking for something short, or easy-reading?
A bit of both to be fair. :)

Like I say, got a bit bogged down by Christopher Hibbert's book and haven't really picked it up for a couple of weeks, but really don't want to give up on the subject due to this one book. Hope that makes sense.

I think I came across Hibbert awhile back and was put off by his other books all being biographies.

If you want a quick overview of the basics, Malcolm Crook and Peter Jones have reasonable short histories. Both clock-in under 250 pages. However, in terms of pure enjoyment, Peter McPhee's 'Liberty or Death' and Jeremy Popkin's 'A New World Begins' are very good.

I have built up a steady archive of books on the topic to get through. I have come to appreciate that some have a particular focus: women, rumours, feudal rights, san culottes, enlightenment ideas etc. If you were looking for something in particular, I might be able to suggest something. There are also usually a few 'go-to' names I haven't got around to: Carlyle, Schama, Doyle, Lefebvre, Tocqueville, Coban, Furet. Yet, I can't comment on their approach or readability.

Many years ago it was suggested to me that the revolution actually started about a month before the accepted date because there was an uprising in one of the provincial towns. I can’t find any supporting evidence now.

There were a number of notable pre-revolutionary events:
Réveillon riots and Day of the Tiles are often mentioned. Even as far back as 1775, you have the Flour Wars which contains all the hallmarks of the big event: fear of famine, the role of women, demands for price controls etc.

I remember reading police report in Eric Hazan's 'A People's History of the French Revolution' and thinking how incredibly bolshy Parisians were becoming, even admittedly, when they were on the lash :D

Report of 2 May 1785, at six in the evening from the Paris guard at the Vaugirard post. Florentin, sergeant of the guard at Vaugirard, having been called by monsieur Dupont, wine-seller, regarding a number of individuals who were drinking at his establishment and had caused damage, breaking earthenware jars and unwilling to pay for these or even the wine they had drunk, we proceeded there and most of those involved had escaped with the exception of Durant, a stone-cutter, who was arrested along with Hurlot, also a cutter. When we set off, some sixty other stonecutters ran behind us and attacked us to free the two arrested men, I ordered bayonets fitted and they, seeing that they could not approach any closer, took up stones and cobbles from the street and threw them at us, a certain Gateblie, a member of my squad, was struck in the legs, in the belly kidneys and in the face, and is dangerously wounded. The Vaugirard guard came out to help us, we were able to arrest the two mentioned above and also another, but informed that there was a further ambush I sent for two sections of infantry and the cavalry brigade from the Contrescarpe station as reinforcements and to take them to prison, following which we closed down the bars

Again, on the Flour Wars

How a Visionary French Philosopher Accidentally Fueled Famine, Riots and Revolt

Ignore the conclusion, it has a weird pro-market bent, however, some interesting reflections.

Turgot believed that his economic ideas had to be pushed through, no matter what the cost, and seemingly without recalling his previous insight of softening the blow of liberalization in Limoges. By the end of the summer of 1774, harvests were poor, but Turgot went forward anyway, sure that liberalization would be the answer to France’s grain shortages. In September, he signed a declaration completely freeing the grain trade. Believing in the force of liberalization, he had liquidated the state’s emergency grain reserves and had not made advance plans for poor relief. Almost immediately, there was grain price inflation, panic, speculation and shortages. Turgot tried to ease the pain by importing grain from Poland to keep supply working. He also liberalized more internal tolls to free circulation.

Still, the results were catastrophic.
Most worrisome for the crown was that the riots, known as the Flour Wars, were now morphing into an outright revolt. The constant pressure of famine and subsistence living created a vicious circle of regular, organized uprisings and growing political criticism. Turgot’s reforms had rallied large groups of opposition to the government. Indeed, Turgot’s enemies at court whispered in the king’s ear that his ministry was, in fact, trying to undermine royal power. On May 12, 1776, Louis XVI dismissed Turgot. His reforms were promptly reversed, but by then, the state had been seriously weakened. A powerful movement of opposition had arisen, which many historians believe provided the foundations for the uprising of the French Revolution.

This is sort of linked, but definitely not something you'd want to read. I borrowed a copy of someone who studied it for a literature course - it is a disgusting book.

Read it. It's a tedious catalogue of depravities committed on peasants. The "religious" perversions puzzled me. Why sticking a consecrated host up someone's arse before buggering them against their will, was conceived as somehow more depraved than buggery without the host, completely passes me by. It's a bit of bread!

There were a number of notable pre-revolutionary events:
Réveillon riots and Day of the Tiles are often mentioned. Even as far back as 1775, you have the Flour Wars which contains all the hallmarks of the big event: fear of famine, the role of women, demands for price controls etc.

I remember reading police report in Eric Hazan's 'A People's History of the French Revolution' and thinking how incredibly bolshy Parisians were becoming, even admittedly, when they were on the lash :D

Robert Anton Wilson, who with Robert Shea wrote every conspira-nutter's favourite novel series "The Illuminatus Trilogy", also wrote a trilogy called "The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles". The middle book of the trilogy, "The Widow's Son", is set in slightly pre-revolutionary Paris, & involves some of the social turmoil of the time - mostly involving the boss class trying to make up for the falling rate of profit by stiffing workers so badly that wages decreased by around 75% in the 3 yrs before the Bastille was torn down.

Robert Anton Wilson, who with Robert Shea wrote every conspira-nutter's favourite novel series "The Illuminatus Trilogy", also wrote a trilogy called "The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles". The middle book of the trilogy, "The Widow's Son", is set in slightly pre-revolutionary Paris, & involves some of the social turmoil of the time - mostly involving the boss class trying to make up for the falling rate of profit by stiffing workers so badly that wages decreased by around 75% in the 3 yrs before the Bastille was torn down.
If nutter pseudo-history is your thing; I raise you Nesta Webster.

If nutter pseudo-history is your thing; I raise you Nesta Webster.
Yep. Mad as a hatter, & twice as racist, too! I bought a copy of "World Revolution" back in the late '80s, when I was doing some research on the whole Protocols/Communism/everything is linked" schtick. She didn't get that her links were too clean & too imaginary. Real life is dirty, & coincidence DOES exist!

Back
Top Bottom