Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Four Horseman hold forth! Dawkins, Hitchen et al.

The Groke

hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat
Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens chew the fat on religion, philosophy, theology, the role of science, life the universe and everything.

Here.

Download the two full videos - two hours worth.

lol sounds fun.

"religion is crap"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree...especially those muslims"
"you are absolutely right"
"so are you!"
"I agree with all of you"
"how are we gonna fill up three hours? Oh, I know...i dont believe in god."
"nor do i!"
"Wow, thats amazing! I dont either!"
"nor do i!"

yeah sounds like something nobody should miss ..!!

frogwoman said:
lol sounds fun.

"religion is crap"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"so are you!"
"nor do i!"
"nor do i!"

:D :D Excellent !!! :D :D

Fucking hell. I hate every single one of those. A conversation between them for two hours is my idea of actual hell.

I don't know which single combinations would be worse.

Dawkins. :mad:
HITCHENS :mad:
DENNET :mad: :mad:

These guys are all apostate heretics from the true atheist faith and should be hunted down.

Gmarthews said:
And thus ignorance continues...

Ignorance continues because people are as saddened by atheist fundamentalism as they are by religious fundamentalism?

Seems perfectly rational to me to be saddened by any kind of extremist ideological commitment, be it religious or secular.

ViolentPanda said:
Ignorance continues because people are as saddened by atheist fundamentalism as they are by religious fundamentalism?

Seems perfectly rational to me to be saddened by any kind of extremist ideological commitment, be it religious or secular.

Hear hear :) (or is it here here?)

I feel exactly the same way about it, and would much rather allow myself a change of mind, than give myself a label and shut myself off from other ideas.

Gmarthews said:
And thus ignorance continues...

I'm happier to be ingorant than the type of person who actually watches or listens to this shite for THREE - FUCKING - HOURS - Three hours, as in three lots of sixty minutes - for fun, or worse, as a sort of intellectual exercise ...

frogwoman said:
lol sounds fun.

"religion is crap"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"so are you!"
"nor do i!"
"nor do i!"

"religion is great"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree...especially our religion"
"so are you!"
"how are we gonna fill up three hours? Oh, I know...i believe in god."
"so do i!"
"Wow, thats amazing! I do too!"
"so do i!"

Isn't this what happens in church/temple synagogue etc?

Sounds loooooooads of fun! Why shouldn't people of other ideologies be allowed to meet and talk, didn't you recently go to a Jewish meeting, for like, more than 3 hours?!

Or is your ideology more valid in some way? :)

ViolentPanda said:

Fundamentalist? In a 'Kill them all!' kind of way? In a suicide bombing way? In a way that damns groups of people to a life of torment?

Or in a much more measured way that isn't really fundamentalist at all?

Yu_Gi_Oh said:
Fundamentalist? In a 'Kill them all!' kind of way? In a suicide bombing way? In a way that damns groups of people to a life of torment?

He's a an intelligent bore with a huge ego who it seems would force his view on other people, for their own good.

Rings a bell me thinks.

Yu_Gi_Oh said:
"religion is great"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree...especially our religion"
"so are you!"
"how are we gonna fill up three hours? Oh, I know...i believe in god."
"so do i!"
"Wow, thats amazing! I do too!"
"so do i!"

Isn't this what happens in church/temple synagogue etc?

Sounds loooooooads of fun! Why shouldn't people of other ideologies be allowed to meet and talk, didn't you recently go to a Jewish meeting, for like, more than 3 hours?!

Or is your ideology more valid in some way? :)

"Jewish" doesnt necessarily mean "religious"

;)

and if it had been like what you're saying, then i wouldn't have gone

frogwoman said:
Nobody lol, I'm just saying it's not my idea of fun, which it's not.

Sorry, that was in reply to hugo who seemed to me to suggest that someone had, and was revving up for a rant i feel.

Crispy said:
These guys are all apostate heretics from the true atheist faith and should be hunted down.

That much apostate heretics that I would be completely unaware of their existence, were it not for U75 where one of these names is projected into threads at the most unexpected moments (by to be expected posters).
Which actually made me watch one sunny day the possessor of that name Live on BBC TV for about ten minutes (could be less, time goes slow when you have to push yourself to stay attentive). My conclusion after that shower of amazing ego-centric ignorance could be nothing else than that greater ego supportive of greater ignorance about a subject the ego presents itself as an expert most probably was never born.

salaam.

Yu_Gi_Oh said:

That's not really the definition of fundamentalism though is it? It doesn't automatically mean extremism.

Yu_Gi_Oh said:

lulz.

This post is misinformed.

Dawkins is a knob.

To quote Terry Eagleton:

Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology. Card-carrying rationalists like Dawkins, who is the nearest thing to a professional atheist we have had since Bertrand Russell, are in one sense the least well-equipped to understand what they castigate, since they don’t believe there is anything there to be understood, or at least anything worth understanding. This is why they invariably come up with vulgar caricatures of religious faith that would make a first-year theology student wince. The more they detest religion, the more ill-informed their criticisms of it tend to be.

To be fair, if religius belief is a reaction to material conditions, as Eagleton would argue, and so needs to be approached through dealing with those material conditions, then so is Dawkins equally reactive hatred of religion.

Hang on dressing theology as a rational science is rubbish religion isnt rational or logical as it depends on faith and belief .A thelogian having a go at dawkins is hardly a none biasied witness .

dylanredefined said:
Hang on dressing theology as a rational science is rubbish religion isnt rational or logical as it depends on faith and belief .A thelogian having a go at dawkins is hardly a none biasied witness .

*sigh*

dylanredefined said:
Hang on dressing theology as a rational science is rubbish religion isnt rational or logical as it depends on faith and belief.A thelogian having a go at dawkins is hardly a none biasied witness .

I'm a bit curious now. What is your degree in theology?

salaam.

Aldebaran said:
I'm a bit curious now. What is your degree in theology?

salaam.

I'm curious Aldebaran, do you believe in the personal interpretation of the Koran?

Back
Top Bottom