Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The first few seconds of the Big Bang: What we know and what we don't

You have 5 bricks. Take 1 away, you have 4 bricks. Keep taking them away until you have no bricks. Take another one away? You can't, there are no bricks to take.
See, I think this is where you’ve gone wrong. We’re talking about seconds, not bricks. :thumbs: Bricks are a thing, time is a measurement.

So, in your crazy ass world there was a starting point. Stuff then happened. Well, what happened before that? Where did the stuff come from?

The universe began at time 0. Time will end at the end of the universe, but it will be a consequence and not the cause.

Ok.. yes..
But if the universe is constantly expanding at a given rate which relates to time..in an infinite space... then how does it stop expanding?
What would cause an expansion of the universe to stop? Apart from the expansion slowing down which again relates to "time".
Is there a possibility that a slowing universe could potentially speed up again? Or if it reaches a state of non expansion and stasis then what happens time at that point?

Genuinely interested in your opinion.. 🙂

You have 5 bricks. Take 1 away, you have 4 bricks. Keep taking them away until you have no bricks. Take another one away? You can't, there are no bricks to take.

It's been 5 seconds since the moment of creation. Go back 1 second, it's been 4 seconds since moment 0. Keep going back until you're at that moment. Go back another second? You can't, there is no time left to travel.
I can't think of anything that isn't time 'dependant' so there must have been a time component before the big bang. The time taken for whatever to coalesce, the time taken to reach 'critical mass' etc. Or am I missing something?

Ok.. yes..
But if the universe is constantly expanding at a given rate which relates to time..in an infinite space... then how does it stop expanding?
What would cause an expansion of the universe to stop? Apart from the expansion slowing down which again relates to "time".
Is there a possibility that a slowing universe could potentially speed up again? Or if it reaches a state of non expansion and stasis then what happens time at that point?

Genuinely interested in your opinion.. 🙂

As I understand it (with the caveat that I am not an astrophysicist) the theory of slowing expansion was what led to Hawking suggesting that the universe was one of a series - expansion from a singularity, contraction to a singularity, repeat ad nauseam. For reasons that are beyond me this theory has been widely disregarded, but there is still the theory that this universe could reach a point where expansion slows to the point where it reverses.

Well quite. Kindness and empathy is all that really separates us from the pain, cold, loneliness and ignorance of existence in this vast, incomprehensibly futile thing we call The Universe.
Thats the spirit! :D

:(

they can't. they have lost their specs. which are on their head!
My progress in anything today was hindered because I literally lost my glasses for about 2 hours and was frantically searching for them :D :D

(Not that I'm a boffin. And they weren't on my head. They'd slipped down the side of the bed.)

As I understand it (with the caveat that I am not an astrophysicist) the theory of slowing expansion was what led to Hawking suggesting that the universe was one of a series - expansion from a singularity, contraction to a singularity, repeat ad nauseam. For reasons that are beyond me this theory has been widely disregarded, but there is still the theory that this universe could reach a point where expansion slows to the point where it reverses.

That'll be the Big Crunch then.

stabbing people doesnt make you clever.
india was conquered by people who didnt wash their arseholes.

Ah but Romans had some genuinely imaginative ways to off their enemies, stabbing was definitely the least of it. And as for druids, getting made entirely extinct isn't a very convincing way to show how clever you are. 'The moral high ground is full of clever corpses' (sounds like a Roman proverb so I stuck it in quotes :D)

Last edited:
And a very, very long time ago. We're like bacteria in a gut, wondering where we are, how it came to exist and if it's all there is. And while millions of us are dying of hunger and easily-preventable diseases thoughts about how it all began are just a distraction.
I thought most people knew that "we" are just a spec of dust under some alien beings fingernail.

Ah but Romans had some genuinely imaginative ways to off their enemies, stabbing was definitely the least of it. And as for druids, getting made entirely extinct isn't a very convincing way to show how clever you are. 'The moral high ground is full of clever corpses' (sounds like a Roman proverb so I stuck it in quotes :D)
the whole of humanity along with countless species are on the brink of being wiped out due to global warming and a whole host of other shit. how clever are we in comparison to the druids, who to my knowledge didnt wipe out a single one?

I thought most people knew that "we" are just a spec of dust under some alien beings fingernail.

And the entire universe is just one bubble in a really, really big pan of boiling water.

Time for a nice cup of DMTea :thumbs:

the whole of humanity along with countless species are on the brink of being wiped out due to global warming and a whole host of other shit. how clever are we in comparison to the druids, who to my knowledge didnt wipe out a single one?

Well, we're here, and in the end isn't that what matters?

Plus the mistletoe is all ours now.

There are the things we know that we know.
There are the things that we know that we don't know.
There are the unknown unknowns then there are the unknown knows.

Dr Becky ;)

Intelligence develops so the universe can think about itself. Every atom of Hydrogen in all of us ( 9.5% of our bodies) was formed seconds after the universe. Every atom of anything else that makes us us was forged in the heart of either one or two stars. Then local flows of entropy generated more and more complexity, then life, then intelligence. And now some of this atoms are arguing on a message board.

There are the things we know that we know.
There are the things that we know that we don't know.
There are the unknown unknowns then there are the unknown knows.

Dr Becky ;)

Then there are the things we don't know that we know and the things we don't know that we don't know.

Back
Top Bottom