Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The first few seconds of the Big Bang: What we know and what we don't

i built a model plane but my model broke down before i reached new york. i now declare new york does not exist according to my model, which is correct in every detail except for being made of balsa.

We already know New York exists.

he claims time and the universe existed today like it did yesterday and the day before. you are the one claiming that ages ago none of it existed. i think its you who has to offer the proof.

But the universe isn't static, so it hasn't always existed "like it did yesterday". Even the fundamental forces of physics as we observe them today have not always been around.

Yeah there was. That bit before that moment.

Excluding events and objects massive enough to warp the fabric of space time (e.g. black holes) time at a fixed point is to all intents and purposes linear. It traces back from time = x secs (+ive) to time = 0. It does not go into minus numbers.

Interestingly, the big bang is very much one of those events which warps space time so time was not linear in the first moments after creation. But it still doesn't go into minus numbers.

Excluding events and objects massive enough to warp the fabric of space time (e.g. black holes) time at a fixed point is to all intents and purposes linear. It traces back from time = x secs (+ive) to time = 0. It does not go into minus numbers.

Interestingly, the big bang is very much one of those events which warps space time so time was not linear in the first moments after creation. But it still doesn't go into minus numbers.
Yeah it does. You have this “start” moment. Then you go back a second or two. Job done.

Yet we always get a t-10 countdown to things. :p

Actually if the big bang was us being shat out of the other end of a black hole then time must have existed before the big bang or we wouldn't have been able to fall into the black hole in the first place.

Yeah it does. You have this “start” moment. Then you go back a second or two. Job done.
You have 5 bricks. Take 1 away, you have 4 bricks. Keep taking them away until you have no bricks. Take another one away? You can't, there are no bricks to take.

It's been 5 seconds since the moment of creation. Go back 1 second, it's been 4 seconds since moment 0. Keep going back until you're at that moment. Go back another second? You can't, there is no time left to travel.

You have 5 bricks. Take 1 away, you have 4 bricks. Keep taking them away until you have no bricks. Take another one away? You can't, there are no bricks to take.

It's been 5 seconds since the moment of creation. Go back 1 second, it's been 4 seconds since moment 0. Keep going back until you're at that moment. Go back another second? You can't, there is no time left to travel.
What about the second before that?

Actually if the big bang was us being shat out of the other end of a black hole then time must have existed before the big bang or we wouldn't have been able to fall into the black hole in the first place.
If the big bang was the other side of a big contraction (now a widely discredited theory but let's run with it), then the time in the other universe would not be the same time as in ours. Time, as space, is a property of the universe in which it resides.

You're the one making the positive claim that time extends infinitely into the past. The burden of evidence is upon your shoulders, not mine.

Question.
If time in this universe does not extend infinitely backwards...
Then it seems that this universe is absolutely finite.
And that future time is limited

If the big bang was the other side of a big contraction (now a widely discredited theory but let's run with it), then the time in the other universe would not be the same time as in ours. Time, as space, is a property of the universe in which it resides.
But there would still be time just not as we know it.

Question.
If time in this universe does not extend infinitely backwards...
Then it seems that this universe is absolutely finite.
And that future time is limited

Not necessarily. Time started at 0 but has no definitive upper boundary. The universe will eventually end, but not because time runs out.

Not necessarily. Time started at 0 but has no definitive upper boundary. The universe will eventually end, but not because time runs out.

Yes...but my point was that
If the universe began before time then how does the universe end without time ending?

Back
Top Bottom