Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dubious journalism of the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg

Krishnan Guru-Murphey of Channel Four tweeted the same thing at pretty much the same time.

If only I could think of a reason that Laura Kuenessberg (sp?) is getting a monstering for it when KGM isn't....
I haven't seen that other tweet but what do you think is the reason (apart from the fact that the BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster)?

70442956_2897999240229671_1586945769686958080_n.jpg

:D

First I saw of this was a Spectator column defending her, of course. They really think it's fair game, it's where these bubble pricks are.

Interestingly, Kuenssberg seems to have deleted the one where she mentioned the father being a Labour activist. Or, at the very least, I can't find it.

Kuenssberg is a prolific tweeter on top of running around being one of the most visible and evidently hard-working journalists in this Brexit saga, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. Not defending what she or KGM tweeted because it is still irrelevant to the story - but I think it was more just a hasty update rather than some agenda-driven statement to frame the guy and get an angle on the story.

Krishnan Guru-Murphey of Channel Four tweeted the same thing at pretty much the same time.

If only I could think of a reason that Laura Kuenessberg (sp?) is getting a monstering for it when KGM isn't....
Could you provide a link or a screen shot or something

For some it'll be misogyny, sure.

For others it'll be Kuessenberg's reputation for bias.

For the rest it might just be that she is the most visible.

BBC has issued a statement to the effect that anyone moaning about Kuenssberg's behaviour is full of shit.

70775304_2289859987802847_115052828011003904_n.jpg

The BBC news PR people really did tweet this, even though it looks like it was cobbled together by a Russian troll using google translate.

Last edited:
I don't really get the level of fury tbh. If she, or any other, journo had outed him - as in named him or directed people to his twitter when he hadn't tweeted anything about it - then would agree, really grim behaviour. But he did put the tweet out himself, probably reasonable to draw attention to it and all it will have done is speed up process rather than added to it as tweet would have got to wide audience sooner or later. Arguably her 'labour activist' tweet worse but then it's the first thing in his bio so again actual effect is just to get it out there quicker without increasing volume (or 'amplifying' but I hate that term).

Find level of vitriol for Kuensberg weird, I mean I'm not a fan I'm ambivalent but far more contemptible journos out there

There is a difference between KGM's 'The man who met the PM in hospital' who had himself tweeted about the meeting & after outing him as a Labour activist LK said 'This is him here' which is like setting the dogs of twitter onto the fox.

Last edited:
Yeah tbf the phrasing 'this is him here' is a bit odd, a bit pointy. Maybe I'm well off on this.

Also I always had Kuensberg pegged as more of a new labour type than a tory fwiw

While this isn't exactly the worst thing Kunessberg has done, in fact I'm not certain she's actually done anything wrong this time, I have watched her broadcasts while making a deliberate effort to disregard both popular opinion of her and any preconceptions I might have based on her gender or anything else. She's still awful. Pretty much as bad as everyone says she is. Krishnan Guru-Murthy has a better reputation because he's a better journalist.

There is a difference between CGM's 'The man who met the PM in hospital' who had himself tweeted about the meeting & after outing him as a Labour activist LK said 'This is him here' which is like setting the dogs of twitter onto the fox.

It was malicious and dismissive. It doesn't matter if he describes himself as a labour activist. It was the sneery dismissive way she chose to focus on that as if what he says no longer matters which is the reason she's getting rightly told to STFU. It doesn't matter who he is, his points are valid.

I thought the outrage was that she said something like 'turns out the man who confronted the pm was a labour activist - here he is' .

Though I can't see that one anymore.

It was malicious and dismissive. It doesn't matter if he describes himself as a labour activist. It was the sneery dismissive way she chose to focus on that as if what he says no longer matters which is the reason she's getting rightly told to STFU. It doesn't matter who he is, his points are valid.
Has everyone reported the tweet as harassment?

Probably nothing will happen but might as well try

Looked at time stamp Guido Fawkes id'd him as a labour activist at 1:56 pm with a couple of sample picks of his twitter history that are enough to give an impression that all was not at as seemed. HOWEVER as the hospital have confirmed his 7 year old daughter IS seriously ill in that hospital , and that I can believe what led to exchange. I hope she gets well.

The politicians are exhausted, the political hacks are exhasted. The twitterati will never tire of being outraged.

Kuenssberg is a prolific tweeter on top of running around being one of the most visible and evidently hard-working journalists in this Brexit saga, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. Not defending what she or KGM tweeted because it is still irrelevant to the story - but I think it was more just a hasty update rather than some agenda-driven statement to frame the guy and get an angle on the story.

She wrote 'here he is', she got the info from Guido Fawkes, a rightwing shithouse of a website. She then re-tweeted that info, naming an individual who criticised Johnson for his ludicrous claim. In that context what benefit of the doubt does she deserve?

That isn't journalism, that is utter shithousery.

Back
Top Bottom