Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big beam of light pointing at the sky from central London

Could see the thing very clearly from Wallington, (about 10 miles distant); I wonder how far away it can be seen?

I actually think it, or something similar, would make rather a striking (and affordable?), permanent "land-mark" for the city. Would certainly help folk to orientate themselves if a bit lost (pissed).

It was lovely, and because it was so warm and dry, loads of people just lying down on their backs enjoying it, plus it was the only way you could get the full shaft of light to photograph it :D

I went to see it tonight and it's lovely, and yeah, it attracts loads of moths and when birds and moths are flying through it, they sort of shine

if this distracts moths from visiting my house

lets just keep it on forever

hidesbehindsofa.gif

First time I saw lights being used like this was in Barcelona when I was taking photographs for the 'Homage to Barcelona' exhibition at the Hayward Gallery in 1985. The searchlights behind the Palau Nacional and the fountain at Montjuic both date back the the 1929 Great Universal Exhibition.

Scan-140810-0002-4.jpg
This image is a composite of two photos - the contrast made it impossible to get an exposure that showed the searchlights without overexposing the fountain. There's some more photos of the fountain and palace here.

Last edited:
In recent times there'd be regular searchlight for premieres at Leicester Square - that seems to have stopped now

Back
Top Bottom