Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Best C4 Drama Series Ever

Well, it's been a long while since i saw it, and i may well be looking theough sectarian galasses, but the drama itslef seemed pointlessly black and white and cliched, a small good man being ground down and so on. (as i said, long time since i saw it, so it might well be me simplifying it).

I watched it a couple of years ago and thought it was really good. Still, horses for courses.

Centrist nonsense.

(never actually watched it)

AVBC was pretty good. Chris Mullin doesn't attempt to look at very much other than how the establishment deals with threats from the left, and in my view a hell of a lot of it rang true. Especially given that when it was written the debate in the Labour Party was about whether or not to abdicate all political responsibility and simply to do the bidding of the popular press. Not that the LCC, Blairites et al would put it that way.

Brilliantly acted too.

• Buried Lennie James is awesome in this, as a man ground down by the prison system and forced to become precisely the sort of person that is meant to be rehabilitated by 'corrections'
  • Ultraviolet Silly vampire hunter drama, but it gave us Idris 'Stringer Bell' Elba, and is a whole lot of fun

Then there's some two-parters:
  • Men Only (I think) - A rather disturbing look at the flipside of wahey-baps-on-that laddism, with Marc Warren and Martin Freeman amongst the cast
  • Britz That 'Muslims for MI5' one; a whole lot better than I thought it would be

If we're allowing single, standalone dramas, then I'd like the following to be taken into consideration:

• Shooters An improvised drama about Scally gangsters that grew out of a documentary about the same subject; a whole lot of fatnecked bouncers playing fatnecked bouncers, with no heroes
  • The Road To Guantanamo Michael Winterbottom's one-off about the Tipton Thrree
  • Boy A When C4 does 'stories from the headlines', at least there's a bit of depth to the exploitation (it's based on a novel, too); here we have a Jon Venables type boy-killer coming out of imprisonment as a young adult
  • Secret Life In a similar vein, Matthew Macfadyen plays a nonce being released back into the community, and finding things very hard going
  • The Mark Of Cain Iraq abuse scandal shenanigans, far more artfully and believably handled than Brian De Palma's Redacted, which covers similar ground; Leo Gregory (ex-Brookie) and Shaun Dooley (slack-faced dude from Red Riding) are both tremendously powerful
  • Dockers Jimmy McGovern's take on the Mersey dock workers strike, workshopped with the men and women of the campaign themselves
  • Sunday Jimmy McGovern's take on the Bloody Sunday incident, in which British Paras killed a load of people at a Londonderry civil rights march; an interesting contrast with Paul Greengrass's Bloody Sunday, which follows the stories of more well known figures from the events - Ivan Cooper, Bernardette Devlin, Eamonn McCann, the senior military etc - rather than rank-and-file marchers, which is the approach McGovern takes.

Deep in the back of my mind I sorta remember from the 80's 'The Young Person's Guide To Becoming A Rock Star' with had a band called something like 'jocks away'?

If anyone has a still a copy of it anywhere I'd be interested ... and 'Tina goes Shopping' was good.

Back
Top Bottom