Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Bank of Ideas invites Chris Coverdale from Lawful Rebellion/British Constitution Group to speak

sunny jim

A pikey fluffy type
Both Lawful Rebellion and the British Constitution Group have strong links to right wing groups. What is the Bank of Ideas doing inviting a speaker from these groups to the occupation?

:( there's quite a lot of freeman in and around the occupy movement in Birmingham, I assume it's the same in London. Would like to think they've done it out of a liberal belief that they can destroy his arguments if they let him speak, and not concerned about links to rw groups if the person themselves are not directly linked, rather than because those who are running the bank of ideas agree with him/his groups

What do you mean break the link? Sorry, computer jargon isnt really my forte.
A few spaces and x's in the link. In case they monitor traffic, referrals and so on, then there's a risk of nutters coming over here, and taking our threads, and basically being arses and that.

What do you mean break the link? Sorry, computer jargon isnt really my forte.

Unfortunately the link itself is still whole, due to xenforo being helpful I think - you need to click the unlink button (the broken chain) to remove the link, then people can follow it by c+p ing and removing the spaces you've put into the url.
If the spaces had been there initially then xenforo wouldn't have automatically created a link - but now putting the spaces into it doesn't seem to break the link.

WHY DID I WATCH THAT VIDEO!

He things the Kellog-Briand pact is the single most important anti-war law. Apparently our govt. doesn't want us to know about this pact that I learnt about 3 times at school! Once in pre-GCSE history, once in GCSE history and once in A-level history.
the kellog-briand pact is the most liberal pointless thing in anti-war history.

basic argument of the video is that we've broken international law and so now it is the legal duty of taxpayers not to pay tax. Apparently we are all breaking the law by paying tax.
reckons we can stick it in an escrow account until the govt. is not breaking laws anymore. All it needs is a judge and prosecutor willing to uphold the law he reckons - see DotCommunists point on another thread about how FOTLers see the law as an abstract thing, not as part of a societal power structure .
This is all put as an anti-war argument. But it's usually council tax these people try not to pay..

This debate has to be had out. I welcome it. A couple of months back I linked to this article which is very good. There are a lot of people, more politically naive than they would ever admit, drawn to FoTL stuff who could be swayed to the right or the left. We need to work sensitively to bring them to the left, not insult them and drive them to the right.

http://www.wsm.ie/c/anarchist-critique-freeman-movement

I kind of agree with that taff, but at the same time, if I was involved with bank of ideas, I wouldn't invite them to speak, anymore than I'd invite rw/fash groups, or someone from the tory party to speak.
fotl stuff is proper loonery. those who are already hooked on it seem impossible to get away from it. I spent too much time at occupy Birmingham talking to them and trying to get them to accept that their ideas simply do not work on a practical legal level (this was almost entirely about lawful rebellion in the context of occupy rather than tax avoidance).
I hope that in those discussions I put some people off of fotl, I know at least one person who was being drawn into it that changed their mind after chatting with me, but none of that would have changed his left/right orientation.

This debate has to be had out. I welcome it. A couple of months back I linked to this article which is very good. There are a lot of people, more politically naive than they would ever admit, drawn to FoTL stuff who could be swayed to the right or the left. We need to work sensitively to bring them to the left, not insult them and drive them to the right.

http://www.wsm.ie/c/anarchist-critique-freeman-movement
I don't agree that the debate has to be had at all. At least not in formal terms at events and by putting on stuff by them.That merely gives them a legitimacy they don't deserve. If decent people are being attracted by this shite then either they will come out based on their own experiences of just how shite it is and that can be helped by real life examples of non-shite activity - and by aggressively attacking the fundamental basis for the shiteness in public as often and as loud as you can in order to put doubts in the minds of the waverers. Talking to them one-to-one is a different matter and should be done more sympathetically based on what issues they see as relevant rather than what solutions they temporarily find appealing.

And that article,as i said before is not part of any debate with these people -it simply says that this loonery is not anarchism, it's a debate within anarchism.

Both Lawful Rebellion and the British Constitution Group have strong links to right wing groups. What is the Bank of Ideas doing inviting a speaker from these groups to the occupation?
Presumably they are interested to hear what he has to say?

I kind of agree with that taff, but at the same time, if I was involved with bank of ideas, I wouldn't invite them to speak, anymore than I'd invite rw/fash groups, or someone from the tory party to speak.
Well that would be your business.

fotl stuff is proper loonery. those who are already hooked on it seem impossible to get away from it. I spent too much time at occupy Birmingham talking to them and trying to get them to accept that their ideas simply do not work on a practical legal level (this was almost entirely about lawful rebellion in the context of occupy rather than tax avoidance).
I hope that in those discussions I put some people off of fotl, I know at least one person who was being drawn into it that changed their mind after chatting with me, but none of that would have changed his left/right orientation.
Well quite, I don't see what freeman stuff has to do with a left/right paradigm, tbh if people are still thinking in terms of left/right they are really missing a trick.

Here's a recent example from the telly of someone doing freeman stuff - pulled over by the police, driving without tax or insurance and refuses to give a breath sample. youtube

you should see someone about that paranoia
When I require your advice on health issues blagsta I shall let you know. Now, in the meantime do you have anything to say on the thread topic, or are you just here to make ad-hominems?

You could do with taking some advice on health issues from an actual health professional.

Anyway, I'd like to hear about how how left/right has been overcome.

I'm sure I've heard of people claiming to have transcended the left/right paradigm before. Claimed to represent the 'radical centre' - Oswald something or other I think his name was.

Back
Top Bottom