Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*The Archers thread

So Ben Archer - asked not to turn up to medical appointment, he does. Asked not to tell Tracy, he does.

Is this sort of behaviour supportive or is it actually a little controlling?

So Ben Archer - asked not to turn up to medical appointment, he does. Asked not to tell Tracy, he does.

Is this sort of behaviour supportive or is it actually a little controlling?
It's possibly the (male) scriptwriter's way of signalling that Ben Has Feelings Too and far too often in these circs the Man's Feelings are Overlooked. So nice kind thoughtful Ben is dropping things, over-correcting for his careless ejaculation, and generally acting out of character.

At least, I think that's what's going on. But it's Nick Warburton at the moment and I'd have expected better of him.

You bastards have got me listening again :mad:

I was actually surprised she went for the termination. Normally it's all "you'll regret having a termination", ignoring whether she'd regret having a child and then she'd regret it and she's got a child to look after.

She hasn't had the termination yet...
My feeling is that she will feel a kick and Ben will change her mind.

Ben has so far kissed Beth’s sister, immediately slept with someone else after breaking up with Beth, and his appearance yesterday felt like he was making himself the main event in an unwanted manner.

For me this is starting to look like a pattern of behaviour but I must admit I do have an innate prejudice against all characters with the surname Archer

My feeling is that she will feel a kick and Ben will change her mind.

Ben has so far kissed Beth’s sister, immediately slept with someone else after breaking up with Beth, and his appearance yesterday felt like he was making himself the main event in an unwanted manner.

For me this is starting to look like a pattern of behaviour but I must admit I do have an innate prejudice against all characters with the surname Archer
Admittedly I haven't followed with the closest attention but wasn't the kissing Beth's sister thing more a question of the nympho Steph grabbing him and forcing an unwanted kiss on him? Which Beth misinterpreted?
Not that I'm trying to defend him or anything. I'm not sure why I listen except I'm interested in how the scriptwriters get themselves out of a tricky situation the previous scriptwriters have dumped them in. (Frex, re the hot tub, is Borsetshire exempt from energy price increases?)

Admittedly I haven't followed with the closest attention but wasn't the kissing Beth's sister thing more a question of the nympho Steph grabbing him and forcing an unwanted kiss on him? Which Beth misinterpreted?
Not that I'm trying to defend him or anything. I'm not sure why I listen except I'm interested in how the scriptwriters get themselves out of a tricky situation the previous scriptwriters have dumped them in. (Frex, re the hot tub, is Borsetshire exempt from energy price increases?)
Yes - steph kissed him, not the other way round, and Beth walked in just at the wrong moment.

I was expecting...
...it to be Peggy. Can't see any reason why Jenny's been written out.

I came here to say the things the previous 2 posters said. Especially given it feels like we haven't finished the Ben/Beth story line yet. This was not expected at all.

Bit of a relief really I was expecting a torrid sex scene with sound effects :eek: and was going to come on here demanding it be spoilered.

She's been on the programme for 60 years :eek: apparently ill someone said a stroke.

Came on to resurrect the thread in the wake of last night's shocker to find I'm not the only one left reeling! Really didn't see that coming, especially as I haven't heard that the actress is unwell or has died, which is often why someone is written out.

She hasn't actually been in it for ages. Mention of her earlier this week tipped off some addicts that something bad was going to happen, but came as a complete shocker here.

There were a few memories of her Christmas’s referred to by other Aldridges too in recentish episodes

What will Brian do without a wife to cheat on?

I stopped listening again some time ago as I got completely hacked off with the Ben and Chelsea all-about-Ben story, and whenever I've caught a bit by accident lately the script has been underwhelming. I got the impression the actors thought so too.
Have things improved?

OK, I just listened to Sunday's repeat. I didn't mind the spoilers.
In an episode replete with dramatic ironies, what struck me was that
Jakob is cheating on Kate with the French horsewoman, which is why he's sending her off to SA, a trip that will be thwarted by the latest developments...

I stopped listening again some time ago as I got completely hacked off with the Ben and Chelsea all-about-Ben story, and whenever I've caught a bit by accident lately the script has been underwhelming. I got the impression the actors thought so too.
Have things improved?
I stopped listening about 10 years ago when I moved back to the UK. There's nothing here that's enticing me to return despite being overseas again. I hope Adam is OK...he was at Newcastle the same time as me (1986)...and I turned out to be gay....so I do feel some affinity with him.

Last edited:
Bit of a relief really I was expecting a torrid sex scene with sound effects :eek: and was going to come on here demanding it be spoilered.

She's been on the programme for 60 years :eek: apparently ill someone said a stroke.
Apparently she started with the cast in 1951!

Back
Top Bottom