Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thailand

VWT2GEL

Way down by the sea
Going in February to Khao Sok national park getting the night train from Bangkok and then staying for about 5 days but then looking for beach destination for a week after that but don't want to go to the usual trashy places.
Any ideas please?

I had a fantastic and relaxing beach holiday (after being convinced they were a good idea and not just boring and sweaty) here Koh Chang Bungalows a few years ago. It's a 5-6 hour drive and a short ferry hop from Bangkok.

Last edited:
I'm going to Kao Samui / Phangang in Feb, flying down from Bangkok.

Enjoy the food, have a bucket on the beach, have a mushroom / mango smoothie if youre feeling brave.

Oh and avoid the spiders.

I'm sure you will have an amazing time :)

Khao Sok (awesome choice btw) is half way between Surat Thani and Phuket, Surat Thani is where the ferries to the Samui archipelago leave from. Koh Samui now has a McDonald's, so you may prefer Koh Pha Ngan or Koh Tao instead.

The weather traditionally is better on the west side of the Isthmus or Kra in February, so Phuket (which still has some nice bits) or Krabi, or if you have time Koh Phi Phi would be lush as you like. But of course nothing is certain with weather patterns any more.

Ko Samet is where the locals of Bangkok head to. Only about an hour and a half drive from the city to the pier and when you get there there's no gap year kids, it's locals and well behaved expats. I love it there. You can get the bus down but a taxi is only about £40.

Personally I'm way too old for pha ngan and the like now. The sight of fucked up british gap year kids and recently released Israeli 'soldiers' pissing all over those islands, not for me.

To be fair we aren't going to party, we are staying in Haad Yuang, which is a dragon boat ride away from the madness, we are all in our 40-50's, this is a 10-11 year reunion for a friends wedding there.

Might spend a couple of days in Samui. I know of the McDonalds Bahnhof Strasse speaks of in Lamai beach, it was there last time I went , I did not enter and nodded my head sorrowfully and sighed when I saw this outside.
1697359682392.png

We really like Koh Phayam, its a bit of a hassle to get to, the diving's shit and there's not much else round there, all meaning not too many people bother going there... its nice and chilled and relatively old school.

We stayed here a few years ago. Was a lot posher than I was expecting. We had a butler!

Wtf am I going to do with a butler? Take the night mate. And tomorrow. And the day after.

Kata Beach is what I was thinking of when I said that Phuket still had nice bits, but yeah, wtf could you do with a butler? My dad’s going on a round the world cruise for his 80th next year and they have one and said exactly the same thing, they don’t even want him to unpack for them as he’d find the booze they’ll be smuggling aboard…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom