Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Plex

The need for transcoding is client dependent so if your client doesn’t need transcoding to occur then that will ease strain, it’s not too much of a massive deal until you get to 4K stuff really, but it’s worth acknowledging.

This is more about saving upload rates. Not sure how that all works about when it chooses to transcode. I've been doing stuff with no transcodes locally for years.

Also if anyone wants to share libraries give me a shout. It’s always good to have more content to peruse.

Sounds great :)

I have 2 x 4tb in a RAID 1 config, I regret not buying 8’s

This is for my backup NAS, I'll move drives around a bit, so should give me 16TB in my server and 16TB in NAS.

This could be epic :D

It was only last night that I realised that forced sub titles meant it only shows when you need them. :facepalm: This has been frustrating me for ages.

This could be epic :D

It was only last night that I realised that forced sub titles meant it only shows when you need them. :facepalm: This has been frustrating me for ages.
Vobsub subtitles are raster images of text that are remuxed onto the picture as it plays too, so anything vobsub will always need to transcode, so try and find SRT subs when you can as they’re effectively text files that are displayed as the video plays

Vobsub subtitles are raster images of text that are remuxed onto the picture as it plays too, so anything vobsub will always need to transcode, so try and find SRT subs when you can as they’re effectively text files that are displayed as the video plays

Thanks. Are Vobsub the ones that are included in the file? For example we watching McMafia over the weekend and there's just the video files and no seperate subtitle files.

Last edited:
Got round to shuffling drives. So that's 14TB in NAS I use for backups and 16TB in the Microserver. I've got a few 2TB drives that I can fit into another box I use for lab stuff. It's a bonkers thing having loads of old hard drives. I've got a good number ranging from 500GB to 1.5GB, a good size back in the day, but now pretty much worthless.

Didn't realise using the BTRFS file system chewed up so much space. My 10TB gave me 9.1TB which is to be expected, but when I made a volume on the NAS it shrunk again to 8.7TB. After some head scratching I deleted the volume and made a new one in ext4 which gives me 9TB which seems a bit better.

Setup Jellyfin out of curiosity. It's like an uglier version of Plex that's much harder to configure for remote access.

Just use Tailscale

Yes, that's rather good, I couldn't belive how simple it was.

I was curious how you'd do it if you just wanted to give someone access to your media via the Web interface, like you might Plex. I used caddy as a reverse proxy, so I could give jellyfin.mydomain.co.uk to someone and they can login.

Plex is much easier and of course you can see other people's collections without changing server.

Yes, that's rather good, I couldn't belive how simple it was.

I was curious how you'd do it if you just wanted to give someone access to your media via the Web interface, like you might Plex. I used caddy as a reverse proxy, so I could give jellyfin.mydomain.co.uk to someone and they can login.

Plex is much easier and of course you can see other people's collections without changing server.
I don’t think you can do that with tailscale. That’s not really the point of it, it’s more a vpn.

I’d like to do a reverse proxy for my plex rather than opening the ports but I’ve no idea where to start

I don’t think you can do that with tailscale. That’s not really the point of it, it’s more a vpn.

I’d like to do a reverse proxy for my plex rather than opening the ports but I’ve no idea where to start

Yes. Tailscale is great, but it's just a VPN.

Why do you need to open ports for Plex. For me one the joys is that they handle the remote play for you.

I used caddy to do the reverse proxy, took me a few slightly fustrating hours, but it wasn't that bad. It get the SSL cert for you, so you don't have to bother. Obviously you need to open ports, but it's handling the security for you on that. I thought it worth getting my head around in case I want to share other stuff that's not media. Not sure what I'll use yet.

Yes. Tailscale is great, but it's just a VPN.

Why do you need to open ports for Plex. For me one the joys is that they handle the remote play for you.

I used caddy to do the reverse proxy, took me a few slightly fustrating hours, but it wasn't that bad. It get the SSL cert for you, so you don't have to bother. Obviously you need to open ports, but it's handling the security for you on that. I thought it worth getting my head around in case I want to share other stuff that's not media. Not sure what I'll use yet.
Even if you haven’t configured port forwarding plex will probably be handling it for you via upnp so it feels like it’s a seamless experience but actually it’s just doing the groundwork itself

Plex seemed to be working so well for me until yesterday. Now every time I watch something on the tv (laptop with the files on is around a metre away so basically using Plex to cast only which is about as much I understand) it stutters and buffers every few seconds. At most it’s a minute before it happens.

The c drive of my laptop is only about 70% full, I’ve tried moving the files in and out of the folder I share with Plex so Plex “rediscovers the files”, internet speed is normal (55 Meg / second download), I’m not running any other programs on the laptop, I’ve tried restarting my laptop and Plex, and now am at a loss of what to do.

I have tried duplicating display from laptop to my tv to watch stuff in another program and that worked, sort of, some parts of the video was blocky. But it’s not ideal as I watch a lot of stuff with subtitles and I rely on Plex to find these for me

hopefully any suggestions will be simple ones, I’m not very technical! Going to try it again tomorrow to see if it was just being odd the last few days

Plex seemed to be working so well for me until yesterday. Now every time I watch something on the tv (laptop with the files on is around a metre away so basically using Plex to cast only which is about as much I understand) it stutters and buffers every few seconds. At most it’s a minute before it happens.

The c drive of my laptop is only about 70% full, I’ve tried moving the files in and out of the folder I share with Plex so Plex “rediscovers the files”, internet speed is normal (55 Meg / second download), I’m not running any other programs on the laptop, I’ve tried restarting my laptop and Plex, and now am at a loss of what to do.

I have tried duplicating display from laptop to my tv to watch stuff in another program and that worked, sort of, some parts of the video was blocky. But it’s not ideal as I watch a lot of stuff with subtitles and I rely on Plex to find these for me

hopefully any suggestions will be simple ones, I’m not very technical! Going to try it again tomorrow to see if it was just being odd the last few days

What's the CPU doing on the laptop when thisnhappens? My first thing I'd check is it hasn't started transcoding rather then doing direct play.

Internet speed should have no bearing as it's on the local network. How are the two devices connected and could you try a cable if its WiFi?

What's the CPU doing on the laptop when thisnhappens? My first thing I'd check is it hasn't started transcoding rather then doing direct play.

Internet speed should have no bearing as it's on the local network. How are the two devices connected and could you try a cable if its WiFi?
I’ll try looking at the CPU, presumably not very fixable if a problem

I’m not sure what ports I have on laptop, will check later as I’m out, would it be something like Ethernet or hdmi cable?

Edit - the laptop connecting to the TV via Chromecast.

And thanks :)

Last edited:
I’ll try looking at the CPU, presumably not very fixable if a problem

I’m not sure what ports I have on laptop, will check later as I’m out, would it be something like Ethernet or hdmi cable?

Edit - the laptop connecting to the TV via Chromecast.

And thanks :)

OK, so it's almost a mirror of the laptop. What's it like with Plex just on the laptop? If that's fine, I might try plex app on my phone cast to the TV. Sorry no quick answer, troubleshooting is a pain sometimes.

Still buffers on the laptop. I tried looking at CPU and it seemed really high.

Also tried downloading the Plex iPhone app and then logged in but then can’t see the files I have on my laptop on the iPhone app, I thought I’d be able to see them on the app as that was the point. :confused:

Meh, will try again tomorrow

Still buffers on the laptop. I tried looking at CPU and it seemed really high.

Also tried downloading the Plex iPhone app and then logged in but then can’t see the files I have on my laptop on the iPhone app, I thought I’d be able to see them on the app as that was the point. :confused:

Meh, will try again tomorrow

That's progress. It plays in another program on the laptop, but not Plex. It's not network etc. So it's Plex. It used to work but now doesn't. So it's not that your laptop is limited. Have you uninstall and reinstalled Plex?

I just uninstalled Plex and then went to reinstall it but seem to have lost all internet connection to laptop.

Seems to be a laptop issue as fine on phone. Hopefully that will be working tomorrow.

Not having much luck with technology today

That's progress. It plays in another program on the laptop, but not Plex. It's not network etc. So it's Plex. It used to work but now doesn't. So it's not that your laptop is limited. Have you uninstall and reinstalled Plex?
I ended up having to do a complete reset of my laptop as couldn’t connect to Internet via network. Having to reinstall everything has made Plex suddenly work on my phone so hoping if the buffering problems return then I can cast from that to the tv

Still fucking buffering! After reinstalling as well. Had enough of computers for the day!

Edit - tried using an hdmi cable

Not ideal but it’s working and should mean no casting problems

Last edited:
So is Plex not buffering anymore on the laptop if you can use an HDMI? Or your using an HDMI and a player other then Plex?

How are you casting it Elpenor ? From laptop chrome browser? I always find that shit. I've installed the plex app on my TV and it pulls the content from my PC. That works perfectly for me.

Yes it was laptop browser from chrome, casting to tv

If I try doing it off the tv app I can get into Plex fine but when I try and play something i just a message saying checking laptop speed and then get the orange circle spiralling and it never begins playing. Have tried with a few files.

Might stick with the cable as at least that works

Back
Top Bottom