Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taskmaster

D'wards

IT'S YOUR DECISION DANIEL
Anyone else watch this? Used to be on Dave but now has made the transition to Channel 4 - Thursday nights at 9pm.

I love it - its just light hearted fun, plus I find it interesting to see how they tackle the tasks

It does depend on the line ups, but this channel 4 series seems to have good contestants

I think it felt a little stilted in the theatre this time but that's understandable. They'd all been in lock down too and it must have felt odd for them. I expect that will lessen. They should move Daisy and Johnny as they are both gigglers and it would me more infectious if they werent together at one end.

It is pretty much the best thing on telly.

Last edited:
I think it felt a little stilted in the theatre this time but that's understandable. They'd all been in lock down too and it must have felt odd for them. I expect that will lessen. They should move rosie and Johnny as they are both gigglers and it would me more infectious if they werent together at one end.

It is pretty much the best thing on telly.
Ahem, Daisy.

I have a soft spot for people who are big laughters.

I worried for her baby when he was cussing her for the pints task she was laughing so much.

I love Taskmaster. It's a fab TV show to watch as family. I was worried they might have changed the format but I was pleasantly surprised. It got better when Greg started on Richard Herring.

Daisy May Cooper always has me in hysterics and it was the same with this first episode.

I loved it when Katherine suddenly morphed into Jen from the IT Crowd by saying 'Oh bloody hell!' :D

I have so many favourites from other episodes but nothing beats 'Rosemary's a fucking nightmare' with Bob Mortimer.

It is one of my favourite programmes on telly, and I have been to watch it being recorded twice.

I really struggled with the social distancing and lack of audience and I think the participants did too, notably Greg. Perhaps it will improve as they relax in to it.

Ooh, which series, what contestants and what tasks?
I was at the penultimate one each time - they used to film two in one day, and I didn't fancy the drive home late at night, so went to the afternoon filming. And chose one towards the end, because then everyone has found their role, as it were, or got into their stride. It was filmed in July, so it was REALLY hot. We all had to hang around in a marquee in a car park, with the most vile toilets and with no food on sale, and we were not allowed to take food in. The second time (last year) they gave us bottles of water.

Last time, was the Jo Brand and David Baddiel one and it was great. At one point, Jo Brand told the audience to fuck off because she thought we were laughing at her, but we weren't, and Greg Davies made her apologise, which she did. That didn't make the cut. David Baddiel came across as being, well, bewildered! We also had Katy Wix, who is gloriously bonkers, and Rose Matafeo, who I didn't know, and I thought was lovely. And Ed Gamble, who was dull. The recording went on for more than two hours, and there was a warm up guy who came on not only before, but also in all the breaks. There were lots of breaks, like when they have to go on the stage or come off the stage for a task, or when one of them needed a wee or a drink. There were some retakes at the end, as well, where Greg and Alex had to repeat some of the things they had said and done and we all had to laugh again.

The previous year, I went to a recording also in July, and that was the time when James Acaster learnt how to do the hula hoop and did it amazingly well, but got no points because he dropped it the first time. That was a highlight, because it was a much bigger item than in the show as broadcast, showing him practising backstage at gigs over the months, and taking it on trains and planes so that he could continue to do so. And he went on hula hooping for ages and ages with the audience whooping and cheering, only to get no points. It was very funny. He was really pissed off.

It also looked like he and Rhod Gilbert didn't like each other, which was kind of odd, and not so obvious in the broadcast show. But it turns out Rhod Gilbert is a real life friend of Greg, and played on that, which was very funny, too. He even got Greg's mum involved and Greg's reaction was something to be seen. Rhod actually put up a photo of Greg's mum in the bath! It turns out she was in the audience with us, watching, although I didn't see her.

Alex Horne was brilliant during lockdown in setting tasks for families to take part in.
I've taken part in ClassMaster (for schools) before and he's so generous with his time.
Oh god I didn't know about that. My daughter would have loved that, she is a massive taskmaster fan (especially was during the big lockdown). SHe's totally gotten into James Acaster off the back of that series.

Yes, they are all on 4od too now.

The new series isn’t quite working for me yet. It’s nobody’s fault, but it’s the socially distanced seating, the lack of audience, (presumably) dubbed laughter. It’s just a bit off.

There have been some moments of genuine brilliance in previous series.

It is dubbed laughter but it's genuine to the show, they played the episode to people watching it at a cinema and recorded their reactions.

I love Taskmaster, I saw it as a live show in Edinburgh many years ago. I'm not sold on this series yet but it's only two episodes in. Plus I can't stand Herring so that's putting me off.

It is dubbed laughter but it's genuine to the show, they played the episode to people watching it at a cinema and recorded their reactions.

I didn’t know that. How could they have people in a cinema socially distanced? It just all feels a bit off of you know what I mean? It’s a real shame given the move to C4, but I’m not sure what else they could have done given the circumstances.

As you say it might click as the series progresses. They normally get better as they go.

I agree that it’s not quite the same yet but I think it’s a good line up so I’m hopeful. Some of the moments in that boat challenge were really funny though.

I have wondered if it was me and I’m just feeling a bit flat so I’m glad other people have said the same.

I absolutely adore Taskmaster!
A few years ago I was in a really deep mental health hole, couldn't leave the house and was shaking and crying all the time and still Taskmaster made me howl with laughter.
The silliness is just so infectious.
It is the best thing :)

I think all things considered this series is still really good and has still made me gasp for breath laughing a lot :cool:

Back
Top Bottom