Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Swiftkey virtual keyboard dispenses with need for space bar

I imagine an internet-wide clusterfuck such as this must've been all over Twitter etc? Or is it literally just urban :facepalm::hmm:

It has a bug. When you press the button to use the suggested word it fills in the remaining characters of other word from the beginning rather than from the point the button is pressed. So if you start typing syphilis, get as far as syp and choose the word you want at this point it will type sypsyphi. It also randomly replaces spaces and punctuation marks with the first letter of the previous word.

It only does this to me on Urban (not that I currently use other bulletin boards) but works fine in texts and emails. It's really winding me up but I can't get on with the Google one. :(
This is happening to me, but not just on Urban (I think) and Gboard does it too, so it's probably Chrome.

aka

This is happening tto m but not jjus oonUron (I ththin) aandGboardadorsittoo, so it's pprobablyCjrompr.

My Chrome was updated on 2nd Feb so it's probably that. I said it happens elsewhere besides Urban but I can't prove that now.

Lazy Llama anything on the Xenforo support forums etc?

Aha... I've just read to the end of that Xenforo thread and it reveals a workaround! The keyboard only does this in the rich text editor, so if you switch to the BB code editor, top right of the posting box, it behaves itself.

The keyboard only does this in the rich text editor, so if you switch to the BB code editor, top right of the posting box, it behaves itself.
You could also try the TinyMCE editor which is an option on the Preferences page, though I don’t know it that works on mobiles.

There was a SK update a day or two ago that seemed to cure it for me. I tended not to do long forum posts on my phone, so it never really affected my usage.

Thats good to know, ill give it a go. Finding Gboard fustrating. More keypresses for things like symbols, want SK back.

Last edited:
Fucking thing put itself it DVORAK. That was a head scratcher to fix. See it's now got co pilot as part of the keyboard. Not sure how I feel about this.

Still along with aCalendar it's one of my longest running apps.

Back
Top Bottom