Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Swiftkey virtual keyboard dispenses with need for space bar

Anyone having trouble with SK recently? It's gone shit

I've always used SK but two days ago (predominantly on urban) it started being really weird, it won't post suggested words, or complete words when you start typing, instead I just get a load of nonsense and even if I select the correct word from suggestions it doesn't print that word but instead some random string of letters.

I put it down to my new screen protector screwing up.

ETA: and started using gboard which I hate!

I've always used SK but two days ago (predominantly on urban) it started being really weird, it won't post suggested words, or complete words when you start typing, instead I just get a load of nonsense and even if I select the correct word from suggestions it doesn't print that word but instead some random string of letters
Exactly this

I'm finding the Google one ok though

I've always used SK but two days ago (predominantly on urban) it started being really weird, it won't post suggested words, or complete words when you start typing, instead I just get a load of nonsense and even if I select the correct word from suggestions it doesn't print that word but instead some random string of letters.

I put it down to my new screen protector screwing up.

ETA: and started using gboard which I hate!

Yup, I'm getting exactly the same problem. Shame, I'd rather keep using their product than give Google even wider reach into my life.

I’ve given in and switched to gboard. Works like SwiftKey used to originally (ie it just seems to work without suggesting gibberish to me). Some of the defaults are annoying (nosing through contacts, symbols awkward to reach) but easily fixed as it is preferences options rich. Let’s see if it degrades as badly over time as SwiftKey did with usage.

Yup, I'm getting exactly the same problem. Shame, I'd rather keep using their product than give Google even wider reach into my life.
Are you aware of who owns SwiftKey these days?
That said, I still use it. Because I always have and have no reason to change. I imagine most of the others are as good now, but hell - I paid for it, I'm going to use it.

Are you aware of who owns SwiftKey these days?
That said, I still use it. Because I always have and have no reason to change. I imagine most of the others are as good now, but hell - I paid for it, I'm going to use it.

Nope, I wasn't. If it's also google then that makes me simultaneously less sad about leaving it and more suspicious about it suddenly becoming unusable.

It has a bug. When you press the button to use the suggested word it fills in the remaining characters of other word from the beginning rather than from the point the button is pressed. So if you start typing syphilis, get as far as syp and choose the word you want at this point it will type sypsyphi. It also randomly replaces spaces and punctuation marks with the first letter of the previous word.

It only does this to me on Urban (not that I currently use other bulletin boards) but works fine in texts and emails. It's really winding me up but I can't get on with the Google one. :(

It's a bit weird but I nearly had a full on tantrum trying to reply to a pm today.
Even the full stop button was giving me a bloody letter.
Sticking with Google for now, although no defined boxes round the letters is odd.
The real issue is I couldn't be arsed to go upstairs for my laptop, I can't find a thread helpful for that conundrum though.

The only problem with the google keyboard is that it has a weird obsession with smoking. Always is ashtrays and tomorrow is tobacco. :confused:

It has a bug. When you press the button to use the suggested word it fills in the remaining characters of other word from the beginning rather than from the point the button is pressed. So if you start typing syphilis, get as far as syp and choose the word you want at this point it will type sypsyphi. It also randomly replaces spaces and punctuation marks with the first letter of the previous word.

It only does this to me on Urban (not that I currently use other bulletin boards) but works fine in texts and emails. It's really winding me up but I can't get on with the Google one. :(

Yeah I saw this recently (I don't post much)
It seems OK with swipe typing though

The closing bracket up there was an m 2 out of three times

Back
Top Bottom