Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Swansea/Abertawe news and chat

Brockway

It strikes me that this messageboard is a tad Cardiff-centric. Anyone care to big-up Wales's second city?

Cardiff is a bit up itself at the moment and is in danger of becoming a poor man's London. So what has Swansea got to offer? Any Abertawe tips or positive Swansea experiences? :)

I'll start: Swansea is as cheap as chips and it's easier to pull there than it is in the 'Diff. The Attic Gallery is cool. And their marina is better than ours.

It was on the news that it was the best place to retire in th UK :)

Other than that it's got a beach right on the town, instead of our mud flats/bay.
A marina that looks mediteranean ( apart from the weather )
And Mumbles
With the Gower only a short diastance.

My other view is a bit skewed as I've only been there for football and a Bauhaus gig ( which ended in a bloodbath )

Col_Buendia said:
Where is this Swansea place of which you speak?

:confused:

More maps for me, please, Welshies ;)

about 30 miles WEST mate! WEST!
possible map later if you're still stuck :p

I'm back in north yorkshire now but i used 2 live near swansea (in a little town) worked in swansea 2..its a nice place.alrite for shopping 2!.i have a few friends down there so might go back again.

the monkey bar plays decent music and is full of friendly folk.

for the best chips - dick bartons in west cross or rossis at morriston roundabout.

swansea market for cockles and lava bread.

clyne gardens is great for scenic smokes.

the pubs on the mumbles front has some of the best looking women in britain.

llangennith for the surf.

aaaah....memories of beach parties on oxwich bay....the good ole days...

Swansea rules for me.
Pretty shitty city/Lovely ugly town, and all that.
I went to university there, and really got to like the place. Would move back tomorrow if I could be assured a decent job.
Lived in Blackpill, Uplands, and Mumbles. Blackpill's a bit odd and out-of-it, but with gorgeous park. Uplands is great: near Singleton park, Uplands Tavern, good cafs, walking distance to town/St Helen's Rd Indian restaurants (big up the Gulshan), late night lock-ins in Mozarts. Mumbles is a very nice place to live: pubs (obviously), summer-holiday feel when wether's nice is hard to beat, sea (good surf nearby), lovely beaches, Gower on the doorstep. On the downside it is painfully middle-class, and is getting more and more expensive :( .
People in Swansea are generally friendlier and more laid-back than in 'diff, too. I think I'm a jack at heart.

CharlieAddict said:
the monkey bar plays decent music and is full of friendly folk.

for the best chips - dick bartons in west cross or rossis at morriston roundabout.

swansea market for cockles and lava bread.

clyne gardens is great for scenic smokes.

the pubs on the mumbles front has some of the best looking women in britain.

llangennith for the surf.

aaaah....memories of beach parties on oxwich bay....the good ole days...
Monkey was pretty good when I was there last, but that's ages ago.
Isn't Undercurrents based in Swansea now?
Oh, yeah, the market is great. Good cheese stall, fresh fish, and shellfish. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Dick Bartons kicks as, but there is a dearth of other good chips in the area, however.

llantwit said:
Swansea rules for me.
Pretty shitty city/Lovely ugly town, and all that.
I went to university there, and really got to like the place. Would move back tomorrow if I could be assured a decent job.
Lived in Blackpill, Uplands, and Mumbles. Blackpill's a bit odd and out-of-it, but with gorgeous park. Uplands is great: near Singleton park, Uplands Tavern, good cafs, walking distance to town/St Helen's Rd Indian restaurants (big up the Gulshan), late night lock-ins in Mozarts. Mumbles is a very nice place to live: pubs (obviously), summer-holiday feel when wether's nice is hard to beat, sea (good surf nearby), lovely beaches, Gower on the doorstep. On the downside it is painfully middle-class, and is getting more and more expensive :( .
People in Swansea are generally friendlier and more laid-back than in 'diff, too. I think I'm a jack at heart.

Fucking hell, Mozart’s. Full of the mad at 3am and as for the two middle aged pissheads that ran the place.

Swansea – “painfully middle class”? Eh? Mumbles maybe, but Swansea? Fuck no!

llantwit said:
Monkey was pretty good when I was there last, but that's ages ago.
Isn't Undercurrents based in Swansea now?
Oh, yeah, the market is great. Good cheese stall, fresh fish, and shellfish. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Dick Bartons kicks as, but there is a dearth of other good chips in the area, however.

i not lived in swansea for 11 years. i have a love/hate relationship with the place. my family and folks are still there but most of me childhood friends have disappeared.

the gulshan? i prefer the viceroy for the curries, they're part of the same family anyway. strange talking about swansea online. and funnily enough for the last few months i've bumped into a lot of jacks in london!!!

does anyone remember the coach house?

I've got nothing against Swansea per se, but it's not much of a 'destination city' though is it?

Lovely countryside nearby though.

Techno303 said:
Swansea – “painfully middle class”? Eh? Mumbles maybe, but Swansea? Fuck no!

no fuckin' way!!! (though there's nothing wrong with the middle-classes...u get twats in all classes).

look at 'em places like penlan, st thomas, blaen n' bimp, forrestfach....

Do you think Dylan Thomas is a bit of a cultural albatross which Swansea Council etc are always flogging at the expense of other aspects of the City? Or has he been good for Swansea?

I like mumbles..nice beach..ohh yes! miss that actually.
I used 2 live in Llanelli (south wales) any of you know of it? i lived by the beach there..was rather nice!

CharlieAddict said:
i not lived in swansea for 11 years. i have a love/hate relationship with the place. my family and folks are still there but most of me childhood friends have disappeared.

the gulshan? i prefer the viceroy for the curries, they're part of the same family anyway. strange talking about swansea online. and funnily enough for the last few months i've bumped into a lot of jacks in london!!!

does anyone remember the coach house?

I remember the Coach House, but didn’t go there that often. Was much more of a Marthas on a Friday and Saturday night (about 10 years ago) kinda person, if you catch my drift.

It strikes me that this messageboard is a tad Cardiff-centric. Anyone care to big-up Wales's second city?

Naaa. it's full of jacks.

On the plus side though is the Monkey Bar. Went to an oldskool night there last year and had a top night out. Swansea can be friendlier, spent quite a lot of the early 90's in Pulse, Martha's and various warehouses.

Hotel Mozart? I went for dinner there years ago. I thought it was just a German restaurant?

zog said:
Hotel Mozart? I went for dinner there years ago. I thought it was just a German restaurant?

Nah, used to be a bit of a modern day Swansea version of a speakeasy. Mainly full of pissed students and some old school Swansea heads. Always someone playing “Kumbaya my Lord” or something on the guitar at 3am. A unique Swansea experience.

Girly Wirly said:
I like mumbles..nice beach..ohh yes! miss that actually.
I used 2 live in Llanelli (south wales) any of you know of it? i lived by the beach there..was rather nice!

i'm from there and have to go via swansea to get home

how long ago GW? have you seen what they've been doing to the coast?

used to go swansea mostly to get stuff not available in Llanelli and to get the train to lundun obv.

mumbles and gower arre the best things about the area tho, imo

nwnm said:
"Anyone care to big-up Wales's second city?" YEAH! Lets hear it for...... Newport :D
and the award for comedy goes to nwmn.
They only made it a city to stop the inbreds fucking whinging

as for swansea, I grew up there, left when I was 25 and swore I;d never go back. I cant stand the place. Dylan Thomas had it spot on when he called it the graveyard of ambition, anyone with any brain gets the hell out

ddraig said:
i'm from there and have to go via swansea to get home

how long ago GW? have you seen what they've been doing to the coast?

used to go swansea mostly to get stuff not available in Llanelli and to get the train to lundun obv.

mumbles and gower arre the best things about the area tho, imo

Oh yea..the gower is cool!
Well i moved down there a couple of years ago..and ive been back for about a year or so. they were still building it when i was down there that cafe that looks like a ship and also those flats by the sea?
i found llanelli isnt very good for the shops..gotta go 2 swansea for shopping really! :D

LilMissHissyFit said:
Dylan Thomas had it spot on when he called it the graveyard of ambition, anyone with any brain gets the hell out

Think you could apply the "graveyard of ambition" quote to the whole of Wales really.

Nothing good about Swansea at all? :eek: I was looking for positives....

Back
Top Bottom