Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stuff to do in & around Falkirk

iona

idle and disorderly
I'm staying in Falkirk this weekend and have most of Friday and Saturday free (might possibly be going to Bathgate via Linlithgow on the Saturday). Any recommendations for things to do while I'm there, please? Open to any suggestions but definitely need to fit a long walk, a fish supper and a macaroni pie in somewhere. I don't drive but I'm used to getting around via shit rural public transport and long walks :)

Go and see the Kelpies, and if you like mechanical things there's the Falkirk wheel, someone who knows more will hopefully be along shortly :D I do drive and have never been back to Falkirk after failing(round and round, no idea where I was going) the one way system about 26 yrs ago :D

I'd strongly suggest Linlithgow Palace (you need to pay to get in :( but it's right next to the train station) and a walk around the loch (free but will be muddy). There also a free museum and there's quite a nice high street though a wander along it won't take you too long.

ETA Ah, just checked and looks like the Palace is closed. Which is a shame as it's really lovely.

Ha, the Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel were the first two suggestions on the list I got from googling "things to do in Falkirk". Third on the list was "go to Edinburgh" :facepalm:

(Nothing against Edinburgh, I just don't want to go there for Reasons)

Stirling's also nice and on the Falkirk trainline. There's a castle and the Wallace Monument and that.

Tbh I wouldn't care if I never went to Edinbro again, only go there for the airport and not flown in yrs.

Don't know how easy it is to get to from Falkirk but the Lobster Pot at Blackness is meant to be very good for all your fish and chip needs.

My suggestions were to be the Kelpies & the Falkirk Wheel - the later had a boat trip available (but I'm not sure if it is running), and an "interpretation centre / cafe" when I was last there [in 2006 !] - but already suggested.

I'd invite you to my allotment to put a shift in if I was about this weekend :thumbs:

Cally park is good for a walk, there's a big old tomb hidden in the woods somewhere.

Don't know any Falkirk chippies but Corvis in Bo'ness does a magnificent broon fish supper (smoked haddock). Cabrelli's in Linlithgow is a nice old-fashioned chippy too, although I haven't had one for a while.

Back in the 80s, mates of mine were in the (pit) band for a stage musical about anorexia that ran at Cumbernauld Theatre. I went to the closing night and watched it stoned then got pissed with the cast and crew afterwards. Very strange night indeed.

Back
Top Bottom