Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Students who are over 18 and contacting parents/social workers?

that sounds about right. even in places that should have experience in these things.

I did a foundation degree at a local college which I started in my mid 30s. no one on the course was under 18 and when a field trip was organized, the tutor came and told us that she had been told we needed to fill in parent's permission slips. A lot of it was ordinary stuff, confirming current phone number for next of kin, but the bottom was for parent/guardian to sign. I refused to get anyone to sign it. and refused to sign. At uni, the same kind of trip was dealt with through a sign in sheet name/emergancy contact number. all sorted.

the college also pulled a planned trip that would have required us getting ourselves out into a place in the middle of nowhere, because the only reasonable way to get there would have been to carshare, and they decided that was not allowable. we got quoted child protection legislation. we tried to organise it ourselves, but the place we were going would not deal with individuals, only organisations.
Good grief!

Oh there's been debates about whether we should be sending reports to over 18 (and as such whether teachers should be writing them)..... Thats been a hot topic of conversation between management who say that all learners on a course up to level 3 should have a report sent to their parents, regardless of age, which has previously included a 50 year old bloke who's parent were long dead.

Send reports to the named adult. If there are other concerns such as the over-18 being developmentally disabled, for example, then either that parent will be able to read those letters anyway or they will be able to address issues with you/other teachers directly.

My daughter (who has special needs) now, at 16, has letters arriving that are addressed just to her, like an orthodonist appt. I put them aside till she gets home and tell her about them and open them in front of her even if she's not that bothered - they are her letters.

This is what I thinking, but even looking at the information from the ICO and Mumsnet, its still a bit woolly.

A report is considered a document that contains sensitive information, and thus is sbuject to data privacy laws.

Sensitive information can only be released to legal guardians of under 18's and only with express consent of over 18's (including parents?)

Does that sound about right?

And by permission from over 18's I'd assume that would have to be written permission kept on file, not just yeah verbal permission.

I don't think we have anyone who deals with this stuff, hence our workplace hasn't answered a FOI request in 5 years now.
Ooh they could be in massive trouble with the ICO for that. They must have a Data Registrar if they are handling personal data. There's a bit on the ICO website where you can check if there is a registrar for an organisation.

Yes, it would have to be written permission from the data subhject giving exact permissions as to who (and even who could not) get access to the data. A person becomes an adult legally at 18 therefore in the eyes of the law their permission must be sought AND properly obtained for the release of any of their personal data. Ideally the permission would be limited in some way as having a blanket release on file is very dangerous and open to very wide interpretation, which is not necessarily the intention.

Paging farmerbarleymow for his expert opinion.

Back
Top Bottom