Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Steve Earle - an appreciation

hash tag

Reaching out
I've just sat up and took notice of Copperhead Road on the radio. So, I looked up Steve Earle. Liked for his politics though his relationships leave a little to be desired. He strikes me as being a bit like Neil Young who has his good days and bad days, heavy and light.
Bearing in mind I like my music heavy, but must be going soft, recommend me some Steve Earle and tell me more.
(18 pages of searches but no thread other than gig's). He just be worth it.

I like a lot of Steve Earle’s output (like yourself, I also come from a heavy rock background). Copperhead Road, while being a great and iconic track is not overly representative of the man. His breakout album, Guitar Town is his most ‘country’ and IMO is a strong album. My own personal favourite album though is Transcendental Blues. Here’s a few of my favourite Steve Earle tracks.

I Can Wait
Pancho & Lefty (Townes Van Zandt cover)
Lonelier Than This
Ft Worth Blues
The Devil’s Right Hand
Way Down In The Hole (Tom Waits cover)
Over Yonder
My Old Friend The Blues
The Rain Came Down
Nothing But A Child
Transcendental Blues

Long time Steve Earle fan. Great music and politics. I saw him in July 2018 and he'd started to use a cool hammer and sickle/skull for merch. The fella selling them at his stall was wearing a 'Smash The Alt Right' t-shirt. <3

Attachments

• 63ac3e93-cfcf-428b-bb23-109279ed6d26.jpeg
    63ac3e93-cfcf-428b-bb23-109279ed6d26.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
Saw him at The Roundhouse Camden about 5 years ago, I got a bit 'refreshed' but remember it as an excellent gig.

Eta

Might have been in 2008 , ffs , time flies .

Not sure about that. Initial listen and it fells a little soft. I love the foot tapping and foot stomping of Earle and Marks with a bit of angst thrown in.

I'm watching SE in concert on some obscure television channel.
He reminds me of Seasick Steve who I have seen once or twice.

Back
Top Bottom