Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Standalone Interesting Historical Articles

This is a long and fascinating investigative piece about a group that presents itself as an organisation promoting conservation and the empowerment of indigenous people but that is actually something quite different. Various actors involved in the formation of the organisation were long time VIPs in EST. Anyway, I would recommend the article to those concerned about the preservation of indigenous tribal peoples, cultural and actual genocide, dodgy NGOs and new age cults.

http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/201...-live-alba-part-i-of-an-investigative-report/

Thanks. But the article doesn't show the other unstaged, unrehearsed side of life there, a place that recently saw people resort to cannibalism in order to survive. And the heavy cost in human privation and misery in government-coerced post-war reconstruction.

I didn't really like Piter all that much. Moscow is a more interesting place.

As you can see from the title. To start you off, here's one about the demonstration against Kristallnacht that was held outside the German embassy in Australia in 1938 - and which was led by an Aboriginal man:

William Cooper: a Koorie's protest against the Nazis
My wife’s Aunt Marta used to talk about how as a child she endured the terror of that night, and how friends kept checking on them to make sure they were safe. She and her sister were lucky to get onto kinder transport and arrived in Edinburgh. Years later her sister (whose name I always forget) married a former SS guard, who had been on the railways, Marta never forgave her.

here's an intriguing one i saw this morning
The sausage that awakened a nation: the
Carniolan sausage in the Slovenian national
imagination, 1849–1918
Jernej Mlekuž
To cite this article: Jernej Mlekuž (2020) The sausage that awakened a nation: the Carniolan
sausage in the Slovenian national imagination, 1849–1918, Rethinking History, 24:3-4, 503-522,
DOI: 10.1080/13642529.2020.1831352

ABSTRACT
The article is based on the argument that the Carniolan sausage (kranjska
klobasa) played an important role in the formation and development of
Slovenian national awareness in the period between the Spring of Nations
and the end of World War I. The Carniolan sausage was an integral part of
a unified field of exchanges which enabled the collective recognition of the
members of the nation. The article then discusses its place in ‘banal nationalism’
– the daily nationalism that slips from our attention and daily reminds
people of their nationality. As a banal national symbol, highlighting national
differences and significance, the Carniolan sausage was a constant reminder of
the nation. In the last part, the article analyses its role in ‘nationalism from
below’, or everyday nationhood – the reproduction of nationhood by ordinary
people in everyday life. The Carniolan sausage demonstrates that nationalism is
not merely the result of a political programme or ideology, but primarily
a network or collection of people, objects, practices, places, institutions, ideologies,
technologies, ideas, symbols etc. which define the subjectivity of the
people, and form their actions and imagination.

During more than 10 years of tramping through fields and forests with a metal detector, a Polish treasure hunter has found the wreckage of an American-made Sherman tank, the scabbard of a French sword used by a soldier in Napoleon’s army, a Prussian helmet and many other relics of Europe’s bloody past.

In November, however, he made a discovery that has startled even scholars steeped in the ebb and flow of European warfare and left them wrestling with a tantalizing question: How did a cornfield in northeastern Poland come to hold silver coins minted more than 1,100 years ago and nearly 1,000 miles away by the medieval rulers of what is now France?

Back
Top Bottom