Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

St Pauls Carnival 2014 - Sat 5th July

Well after 18 Glastonburies, we finally managed to make it to our first ever Carnival yesterday! :eek: :cool:

Our day trip in Bristol was even more chilled than normal (and less pricey, because we had better things to do for once than visit the wonderful pubs)

We liked. A lot :)

Enjoyed it but for some reason not as much as other times. Sound systems just didn't seem to be as good this year, was the volume lower? Seemed more packed than usual to me too. Still, good fun though.

Enjoyed it but for some reason not as much as other times. Sound systems just didn't seem to be as good this year, was the volume lower? Seemed more packed than usual to me too. Still, good fun though.

I reckon it must have been quieter than usual as I couldn't hear a thing over in Eastville.

got there around 4.30pm, happy to see nothing but sun over bristol, went over to check out the red bull stage but there was a queue around the block to get in on a one in one out basis, so obviously fuck that.

went over to Negus Meldoy next but an MC with too much guinness export was on the mic and got a bit shouty - not what yo uwant from a roots sounds - so checked Massai Warrior next, wasnt really feeling it there, then headed over to London's Jah Tubbys on Argyl Road and it was great vibes there all the way, great music and lovely crowd, so much so that i stayed there pretty much all day, only heading back to Masai for the last hour.

Tubbys set has such a crystal clear sound, it really is impressive, ive only heard Iration hit those sweet sub spots in comparison, and i think overall Tubbys sound is more pleasant to hear - not at all harsh on any spectrum.

Spent the last hour over at Massai Warrior who play the modern digi stuff really well, and that goes down a storm with the bristol crowd, who have got to get some kind of prize for messiness and commitment. Thats the nicest part of the day for me is the people, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone whose just there feeling out of place and spectating, seems to me like everyone is on it and on something. Madness.

Went to a garden party directly opposite Malcolm X Center who had a serious soundsystem set up and were banging out some very good neurofunk DnB...left there at 3 and seemed to be a lot of police waiting outside wondering whether to move in.... if anyone knows anything about the aftermath of that i'd be curious. Wanted to go to the Plough but looking at the map it looked quite far away and i didnt have the legs.

Shame about the midnight curfew, i doubt it'll ever go back to 2am - the direction of curfews only seems to go earlier, not later.
I cant see how it was any cheaper to finish a 2am - whatever it is the organisers are paying for had to keep being paid for till the sun came up id have thought
thanks Ruti, yeah it was great fun, but im not sure ive got another coach mission in me for next year...would be nice to get there a day early and be able to relax in and out of it.

That was fun

Not loving the increasingly heavy manners mind

I actually got a bit of grief this time. Nothing major but some steroid munching arsehole gave me a mouthful for 'barging' him, bit difficult not to barge him when he was standing still and I was getting pushed by the moving crowd next to one of the stages. I still do not understand that level of macho bollocks and I doubt I ever will.

sorry to hear that DC....i saw a fight with more steroid nutters, shirts off, down on Stokes Croft too, though that was at the more traditional time of 3.30am...ive never had any problems at carnivals but sticking close to roots sounds is usually guaranteed to keep you out of the way of these idiots

i dont think nightfall makes it worse - i dont know when these stabbing occurred but they were just as likely in daylight. Certainly NH carnival, everything happens in daytime. Last year was my first time at St Pauls, and i was a bit shocked by my the messy scene that was already there by 4pm, so i was a bit wary of what nighttime would bring, but in fact nighttime felt that bit mellower than the blazing afternoon sun, and that was true this time too.

evening doesnt mean night had fallen - it doesnt get dark till nearly 10... at least one was around 6pm as i saw the ambulance and police dealing with it

sorry to hear that DC....i saw a fight with more steroid nutters, shirts off, down on Stokes Croft too, though that was at the more traditional time of 3.30am...ive never had any problems at carnivals but sticking close to roots sounds is usually guaranteed to keep you out of the way of these idiots

i dont think nightfall makes it worse - i dont know when these stabbing occurred but they were just as likely in daylight. Certainly NH carnival, everything happens in daytime. Last year was my first time at St Pauls, and i was a bit shocked by my the messy scene that was already there by 4pm, so i was a bit wary of what nighttime would bring, but in fact nighttime felt that bit mellower than the blazing afternoon sun, and that was true this time too.

Yeah it was the first time I've had problems there and this was my 3rd year. I can't even remember where it was as it was so crushed! Did it seem busier to you than last year? I had a great time last year precisely because it seemed mellower. I did squeeze my way down to tubby's system but there were no tunes playing :confused: either that or it was so crowded, everywhere, that the general din drowned it out or the music was just quieter, the only time I really heard music properly was round the stages and they seemed quiet too. I have my suspicions they were, either that or I'm going deaf! but I think it has something to do with the new curfew. The idea that it saves money to end it two hours earlier is utter bollocks. Still had a good time though but I think I can take it or leave it next year.

Yeah it was the first time I've had problems there and this was my 3rd year. I can't even remember where it was as it was so crushed! Did it seem busier to you than last year? I had a great time last year precisely because it seemed mellower. I did squeeze my way down to tubby's system but there were no tunes playing :confused: either that or it was so crowded, everywhere, that the general din drowned it out or the music was just quieter, the only time I really heard music properly was round the stages and they seemed quiet too. I have my suspicions they were, either that or I'm going deaf! but I think it has something to do with the new curfew. The idea that it saves money to end it two hours earlier is utter bollocks. Still had a good time though but I think I can take it or leave it next year.
felt the same amount of people to me but its hard to judge

yeah Tubbys had two cut outs on the generator, but they didnt last long (a good chance to go and eat) and ended up running a cable out of someones house!

agree about the curfew - doubt its money related

if it was on my doorstep I wouldnt miss it for the world, but i dont think i can mission it again without a bit more creature comforts

Ah damn then I obviously got down there when the power was out :facepalm: nevermind.

There probably was the same amount of people although I know a lot of people do travel down from wherever especially for it and I think that's increased over recent years. No surprise really as it is a great event. I'm sure I'll go next year if it's on. Glad you had fun, ska :)

I've always found the atmos gets narkier later on. But whatever

Had no idea any of this was happening ... we avoided it all. We visited several systems and all were properly laid back with nice tunage.

Saying that, we were in the going homewards pub towards Temple Meads well ahead of 8:30 pm ....

We may have been at Negus Melody at a different time from you ska invita -- nice mellow sounds when we were there, the odd rewind (annoying!) but mostly the well rootsy tunes were left alone to get on, and lots of dub with 'em :) :)

Excellent for us that there was a (Ital) VEGAN stall next door, we're not vegans ourselves, but even for lightweight veggies like us, food around the Carnival was highly chicken etc dominated ....that's to be expected I suppose! Really tasty/full dishes of food from Ital man anyway ....

As for beer, we gave up on any ale hopes and just bought Dragon Stout :eek: :D and cans of Scrumpy Jack from the shops :cool:

We may have been at Negus Melody at a different time from you ska invita -- nice mellow sounds when we were there, the odd rewind (annoying!) but mostly the well rootsy tunes were left alone to get on, and lots of dub with 'em :) :)

Excellent for us that there was a (Ital) VEGAN stall next door, we're not vegans ourselves, but even for lightweight veggies like us, food around the Carnival was highly chicken etc dominated ....that's to be expected I suppose! Really tasty/full dishes of food from Ital man anyway ....

As for beer, we gave up on any ale hopes and just bought Dragon Stout :eek: :D and cans of Scrumpy Jack from the shops :cool:
yes Negus is normally excellent and i spent the vast majority of my day there last year
and agree about lack of veggie stalls - when i went to hunt for food i finally found an Ital Stew only at the last minute to be told it had fish in it :facepalm:
thanks for the good tip-off for next time ;)

My mate needed more booze and asked where to go. Told him to go round the corner and find someone's front garden :D

Only popped down for a couple of hours had a wander round a bit, couldn't find anyone we were supposed to meet up with as the phones seemed knackered and ended up spending most time at the DMT rig out the back of the Lakota.I always forget how popular balloons are til I go to Bristol

Next year we'll try and get there much earlier and make a gay of it

Back
Top Bottom