Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

St Pauls Carnival 2014 - Sat 5th July

The lack of info is pretty shocking ... Though I do know that my mates are doing a mighty ravey linkup behind the canteen at the Lakota end of City Road. They're bringing their Void Incubus rig! I am literally quivering in anticipation! :D Negus has been on William Street the last few years... Dubkasm was at the Malcom X Centre last year...

10505366_10152404197386077_5994611061223456814_n.jpg

Fucksticks, I wanted to go this year, but I foolishly was convinced to work a festival I have no desire to go to.

DOH!

Doh! Indeed! I've been waiting all year for it since the last one and there was no way that anything was going to come between me and awesome carnival action! (Except family emergencies, poor organisation, work commitments or loss of limbs ... though I was prepared to stick two fingers up at work and skank'n'hop should I have lost one of my legs ;))

read that the organisers are having some official bars and are asking that everyone buy at least one drink from their stall to help raise funds towards their costs - will definitely do that

10501844_10152447378725202_4202710160991438508_n.jpg

The Green Stage line-up features the BRISTOL REGGAE ORCHESTRA, ska and reggae band SMOKESTACK SHAKERS, Afro Caribbean dance band BARAKA, reggae/dancehall act DA FUCHAMAN, a reggae showcase featuring Bristol’s URI GREEN & THE SEEDS, SPLITZ and MAD SAM, winding up with FUTURE DUB ORCHESTRA, plus BLACKOUT JA and friends.The Windrush stage will feature a mixed platter of DJs throughout the day and the Mandela’s Hideaway Children’s Area includes a guest appearance from RASTA MOUSE.

The Red Bull Music Academy (RBMA) will be curating a stage this year taking over St Pauls park between 12pm and 9pm with a line-up including SOUL II SOUL founder JAZZIE B, REDLIGHT B2B with TODDLA T, international production duo JUS NOW, DJ KRUST, Bristol bassmen MY NU LENG, NEW YORK TRANSIT AUTHORITY, DEBRUIT and GOTSOME.

Sound systems this year include
:INVASION SOUND - outside Dad’s Cabs
NEGUS MELODY - William Street
AS IT IS TV - Davey Street
KING KONG - Winkworth Place
UNIQUE STAR - Campbell Street
GHETTO FORCE - Princess Street
KIDS COMPANY - Brighton Street
RAIDERS 32 - Denbigh Street
X-CALIBUR - Argyle Road
SOUL2SOLE - Wilder Street
DADDY CRUKUS - Davey Street

The carnival 'Masquerade' will leave Portland Square at noon, then heads up Dean Street, Brigstocke Road, Ashley Road, City Road, and back into Brigstocke Road. Performers will then return to Portland Square and put on their presentations in front of the stage. - See more at: http://www.reggaechapter.com/node/3993#sthash.h68UaJo8.dpuf

Going to add unofficial string ups + and things not listed on teh map as i find them...
Friday: Massai Warrior Sound is playing Jah Tubbys at Trinity.
10444763_654568447958976_5009674321880673662_n.jpg

Tubbys back on Argyle Road for carnival on Saturday

Massai Warrior back on Saturday in the car park area of the Malcolm X centre's car park just off City Road and Ashley Road (by the mini Roundabout)

Brighton Street Stage powered by Lion Pulse Sound https://www.facebook.com/events/303557469806188/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

I wonder how much the midnight curfew will be respected? I have a feeling maybe not...

Last edited:
Thinking about heading to this as an afterparty...

Soul, Funk and all that junk....
The Plough Inn Easton / entry is free

BqdFDl0IUAAL1IW.jpg

am i right in thinking The Plough is the pub associated with the Easton Cowboys and girls?

all set, coach booked etc - if anyone fancies meeting up PM me
after party at the plough goes on till 2am btw <think ill be going to that

Text Donations To help raise funds for the carnival, we have relaunched our text donation service. You can make a donation simply by texting ‘CARN45‘ followed by the amount you’d like to donate (including £ sign) to 70070. For example, to donate £5 you would send ‘CARN45 £5‘ to 70070.
The text message is free and will not come out of your inclusive messages. St Pauls Carnival (registered charity 1136561) will receive all of your text donation. Please make sure that you have the bill payer’s permission before making this donation.

Well worth sticking a fiver in

What's a good sound system for dub? Previous years I've just kinda wandered about aimlessly, which I love doing by the way, but wouldn't mind having some sort of vague plan of what I wanna hear and by vague I mean extremely vague.

What's a good sound system for dub? Previous years I've just kinda wandered about aimlessly, which I love doing by the way, but wouldn't mind having some sort of vague plan of what I wanna hear and by vague I mean extremely vague.
Negus Melody William St.
just around teh corner is Massai Warrior in the car park area of the Malcolm X centre's car park just off City Road and Ashley Road (by the mini Roundabout)
and Jah Tubbys on an unofficial string up on Argyle Street
these three soudns are basically the reason im going

I'll be having a barbecue round a mate's on Badminton Road all afternoon I think (just above Mandela's hideaway on the map). Should be handy for using toilets and nipping out to brave the crowds occasionally.

Negus Melody William St.
just around teh corner is Massai Warrior in the car park area of the Malcolm X centre's car park just off City Road and Ashley Road (by the mini Roundabout)
and Jah Tubbys on an unofficial string up on Argyle Street
these three soudns are basically the reason im going

Do you know anymore on the unofficial stuff? It's those ones I like the most. There was a stack last year precariously perched in someone's front yard with a geeza on the decks in his living belching out the most filthiest drum n bass I've heard in a while :D

Do you know anymore on the unofficial stuff? It's those ones I like the most. There was a stack last year precariously perched in someone's front yard with a geeza on the decks in his living belching out the most filthiest drum n bass I've heard in a while :D
i have a feeling he'll be back :D

i have a feeling he'll be back :D

Hehe I love that more than anything else about carnival. I don't tend to bother with the day time. Instead I head down about 7 and just walk around people watching, stopping for a dance a bit and then moving on to another sound system. I like how it's just not that crowded either, not in the sense of a crush anyway. I'm actually quite excited this year, more so than any other year for some reason.

:( Fight that shit off! Dose up with vitamin C, eat oranges, stock up on anti runny nose stuff, do whatever it takes!
im on it - going to sit in the sun for a bit now - typical thing, ive been hanging on for some time off and by the time it comes you get a bit run down - not full blown yet so theres still hope. fucking annoying - i need full strength for tomorrow

Just getting in the bath, got some people to pick up from bus station,.some rum punch to make.
..then I'm there. My man lives a stones throw away so plan is to manage it in 3 parts..

Looking for places to dance till the early hours......

Back
Top Bottom