Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

St Pauls Carnival 2014 - Sat 5th July

It'll be too crowded, the weather will be too hot or too wet, there will be rubbish everywhere, the music will be too loud or not loud enough, and you'll probably get stuck by the shittest sound system because that's where all your mates are, missing the good stuff on the other side of St Pauls. You'll wait ages for your mates to find you, only for them to turn up just as you were about to leave. Just when you do find somewhere good to hang out, you'll find out your mates are either on the other side of the carnival or they'll have got too hot, too pissed, too fucked on pills, or just got too bored and gone down the pub. It'll be the best thing you've ever gone to or the most overrated. It will be the best/worst it's been since X years ago, and you'll probably have either the most banging night out or the shittest night out of your entire year.

I never go, I'm not keen on it at all. Despite this my friend asks me every year "Are you going to carnival?" and I say "Yeah, might do..."

last year i got the megabus, arrived at about 2pm, then got the first megabus home, 4am, and woke up at victoria at 6am... am prepared to do that again, but if any londoners have a better idea i'm all ears!

It'll be too crowded, the weather will be too hot or too wet, there will be rubbish everywhere, the music will be too loud or not loud enough, and you'll probably get stuck by the shittest sound system because that's where all your mates are, missing the good stuff on the other side of St Pauls. You'll wait ages for your mates to find you, only for them to turn up just as you were about to leave. Just when you do find somewhere good to hang out, you'll find out your mates are either on the other side of the carnival or they'll have got too hot, too pissed, too fucked on pills, or just got too bored and gone down the pub. It'll be the best thing you've ever gone to or the most overrated. It will be the best/worst it's been since X years ago, and you'll probably have either the most banging night out or the shittest night out of your entire year.

Sounds just like any carnival experience if you don't have a little personal plan of not waiting/wasting/trying to be with all your best friends for that certain best track ever at the best sound system ever. TBH I often go to Notting Hill carnival alone, meet people if possible but usually have the best time just plotting up somewhere and enjoying myself with randoms. :)

Last edited:
Would absolutely love to sample St Pauls and associated shenanigans, and strung out's post really sells it :D ....

But like ddraig I'm committed to staying in Wales on relevant weekend and doing that Surplus thing .... :hmm:

I'm going to have a busy day but will hopefully get some time out to enjoy myself. Will be supervising a youth group in the parade then working a jerk chicken stall which will be raising money for the charity I work for. If anyone is feeling hungry and anywhere near City Road we will be based at the Dockland Settlement/Youth Centre, profits will go towards this: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Docklands-Youth-Centre/591200297595346

Midnight? :cool: They are doing better than Notting Hill does then. I am pretty sure we can find an afters. :)

It used to be an all-nighter but has become a victim of its own success. Publicity about what's going on is minimal beforehand but as I hear of stuff I will post it in this thread.

Change of commitments mean I can go after all :cool:
Shame about the stupid early curfew. :mad:
Any of the rigs got line ups out yet?

I'm going - it'll be my first time too. Have booked train tickets and hotel already. Was reading your the old thread on this just the other day for ideas.

If any locals / regulars want to point me in the direction of the best places please do! I'm staying right next door to Bristol Temple Meads, hope that's a sensible place to be situated!

If you like roots/ reggae/ dub reggae type musics then Negus melody is a sure fire winner. I'd recommend ear plugs if you like rig hugging. I will certainly be at Negus for a good portion of the day, and will be hugging the rig if I remember my ear plugs! ;) :D

I think the Dubkasm rig which was at Malcom X last year was good. I think it was the Dubkasm people I saw a couple of years back near to a small park, on a small rig, but they were hammering out very subby rootsy digidub and had excellent trumpet playing and a ~10/11 year old girl doing shout outs and chatting on the mic, and it was awesome!!! :D I think the main dude in Dubkasm came from Negus... Hmm not sure if it was Dubkasm the other year - I have a photo with DJ Locks behind the decks? ...

Back
Top Bottom