Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

This is why you don't want to stand too close.

Well that was spectacular. I love how the thing was clearly in trouble and spinning round but they kept talking it up until it went bang. The spaceship has flown a few times and actually managed to land once but I don't think the booster has ever flown before has it?

Well that was spectacular. I love how the thing was clearly in trouble and spinning round but they kept talking it up until it went bang. The spaceship has flown a few times and actually managed to land once but I don't think the booster has ever flown before has it?
No, this was the first time out for the boosters..

Preliminary pixel counting from the nerds on space forums says that the trouble started after a hydraulic power supply unit went pop shortly after liftoff. The whole thing was operating on half hydraulic power, which meant it was even more boned when an engine went pop just before the swerving started.

The engines on booster 9 are electricly steered, so no hydraulics to go wrong.

This is why you don't want to stand too close.
Fred Dibnah wouldnt have outrun that.

Yeah, that'll need a bit of work

The worst of the damage is on the side of the pad pointed roughly at South Padre Isle, where it rained sand.

Note that the rebar has all sagged, which means the piles have probably moved, which means the launch pad has probably moved, which means all the big moving parts are probably jammed tight.

thunderf00t? man's a tool. A smug self-satisfied "skeptic" who's "just asking questions." The annoying guy who pops up out the hole in the ground in that meme cartoon saying "I am very intelligent."

If you come at SpaceX from an angle of "elon musk is a twat (which he is) and he overpromises (which he does)" then it's very easy to make them look bad with a video like this. You can find similar footage of him making unrealistic claims about Falcon 9's timeline and capabilities. But after a realistic amount of development time they now launch more rockets than the rest of the world combined, with record-setting reliability and pace. It's not Elon Musk, archprick, holding down the triggers on his moneyguns while giggling, but an actual honest to god serious business doing really really well at what they do. I'm not saying Starship is a sure thing - it's a huge challenge - but if anyone can pull it off, they can.

SpaceX president and chief operating officer Gwynne Shotwell runs the company's day-to-day operations and seems to deserve much of the credit for its success - probably wasn't her idea to launch on 4/20

Looks like this environmental impact expert called it right

Yeah it's a terrible place for a launch site. Hopefully they move operations up to the Cape Canaveral site asap (the factory is already roofed over and the tower is topped out).

thunderf00t? man's a tool. A smug self-satisfied "skeptic" who's "just asking questions." The annoying guy who pops up out the hole in the ground in that meme cartoon saying "I am very intelligent."

If you come at SpaceX from an angle of "elon musk is a twat (which he is) and he overpromises (which he does)" then it's very easy to make them look bad with a video like this. You can find similar footage of him making unrealistic claims about Falcon 9's timeline and capabilities. But after a realistic amount of development time they now launch more rockets than the rest of the world combined, with record-setting reliability and pace. It's not Elon Musk, archprick, holding down the triggers on his moneyguns while giggling, but an actual honest to god serious business doing really really well at what they do. I'm not saying Starship is a sure thing - it's a huge challenge - but if anyone can pull it off, they can.
He is either delusional or a lair. He will have information that what he says is not true. He goes and says it anyway. Over-promising is if he didn't have facts to the contrary.

Whatever you want to call it. Billy bullshitter. High on his own supply. I'd go with willingly ignorant. Doesn't want to listen to the little people complain about why it will take twice as long as he says it will. The worst kind of boss.

That debris took out some of the engines, so it was wrong to launch like that, no?

He is making space launches look easy, but that’s cos the rest of the industry is on porky govt contracts.

Yeah, that'll need a bit of work

The worst of the damage is on the side of the pad pointed roughly at South Padre Isle, where it rained sand.

Note that the rebar has all sagged, which means the piles have probably moved, which means the launch pad has probably moved, which means all the big moving parts are probably jammed tight.

I'm no engineer, but that's looking like what happens when you try to launch a massive new rocket from facilities which are completely inadequate for the purpose. Nobody is going to give a shit if we blow holes in some random spot on Mars, but that's supposed to be a permanent launch site, is it not?

I was honestly shocked to see how close the rocket was to the tanks when they launched. The whole site is too small for a rocket of that size, it's about as big as a Saturn V is it not? Cape Canaveral it ain't.

Musk is a bloviating charlatan, but he's not the only one to blame for this farce. Other people must have signed off on this launch, and they also deserve an official arse-beating.

Are they planning to land the starship booster back on a pad?
No, they're going to land it in the "chopsticks" - the two arms that are used to lift the stages and put them on the table. There are pins just under the grid fins at the top. Same for the ship - there are hard points under the forward flaps. Seems crazy, but they regularly put the falcon 9 bang in the middle of the pad, and that has much less control over the maneuver

spacex-rocket-launch-catch-tower-illustration.jpg

Spacex are, that's for sure :D

Honestly it's not as crazy as it sounds. The chopsticks have three degrees of freedom to move the landing point, the rocket can throttle low enough to hover (unlike the falcon 9 which has to time the landing burn precisely with no room for adjustment). For the early attempts, it will come in very gently, and if it looks like it won't line up they can throttle back up and yeet it into the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom