Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Well they are certainly getting through StarShips at quite a rate.

Hopefully with the two failing in similar situations they may have an idea what to rectify.
Yes, on both tests, it seemed that the sequence to return the ship to vertical and slow descent happened too late and not powerfully enough.

There were probably different mechanical problems between the flights, but the problem looked similar.

They'll get the slide rulers out, and figure out a better way to stand the thing back up for landing.

:thumbs:

If this is the upper stage - it will not take off by itself in real use, is that right? So have they designed an upper stage that can take off by itself, just for experimental purposes?
That's right. The first stage is much more simple and they already have plenty of experience with flying and reusing first stages of the Falcon 9
Reusing the 2nd stage, which has completely novel aerodynamics, is a brand new challenge.
So they started Starship development with the 2nd stage, knowing that it would take longer to get working.
Also, engines aren't cheap. They only need 3 engines to test the 2nd stage. The 1st stage will need at least 8, and 28 in the final configuration. At liftoff, it will have twice the thrust of the Saturn V.
Best to iron out all the flight issues on a 3-engines-at-a-time test bed.
Another question - why are these things silver when previous rockets have always been white? Is it because we're in the future now?
The original idea was to use carbon fibre. They pressure tested a big CF tank. They even leased a factory and built a great big rotating lay-up tool for building whole tanks in one piece. But then they made an abrupt pivot to stainless steel. It's heavier, but it's much more robust. Needs less heat shielding, so the weight saved there makes up for the higher density. It also gets stronger when cooled to cryogenic temperatures. The same damage that destroyed the alumtinium framed shuttle Columbia would have been survived by Starship. But most importantnly steel is dirt cheap, and skilled welders are far more common than people familiar with building very large carbon fibre tanks. They can build these things for 1/10th the price of a CF equivalent, and much faster.

3rd time lucky I imagine some are thinking, hope no one at SpaceX thinks like that though..

If it crashes like the last two I will never fly in one, never I tell you!

I was wondering if it was titanium or something. But just stainless steel....
I was wondering if it was aluminium, apparently traditional aluminium isn't compatible with space flight, although I read some engineers are pioneering a treatment for it.

I was wondering if it was aluminium, apparently traditional aluminium isn't compatible with space flight, although I read some engineers are pioneering a treatment for it.
Most rockets are made of aluminium alloys of some kind. Stainless steel is very unusual.

Fuel tank farm recondenser is venting, which means we are potentially 30m away

EDIT: This is exactly dinner time in my house :mad:

Back
Top Bottom