Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

South London Makerspace

SLMS is ready to open! We'll be holding weekly open evenings, the first of which is this Wednesday (16th April) at 19:30, at 27 Norwwod Road, Herne Hill, SE24 9AA.

We've got a 100m² space, divided into "clean" and "dirty" workshops, all sorts of tools and furniture, and a growing community of makers.

Come along and meet us, see what we do, get a tour of the facilities, and maybe become a member yourself.

See you in the space!

Open Evening today. Come! Wear decorating clothes and help paint the shop sign :)

I just had a look at your events and I'm totally gutted that the 'Not just Arduino' workshop is on so late as this is the type of thing my boy would love. I was going to get him a Rasp Pi but I really wouldn't know what to do with it.

That's a shame :( Unfortunately we have to fit things in around regular work hours, so an earlier time wouldn't really be possible.

after I've put my address details in - is it browser related? I use google chrome. I also altered the amount - would that do it? (down rather than up I'm sorry to say )
I think I saw this once before, try hitting Back and then resubmitting the form. I've alerted the guy who wrote the system and will let you know what he says.

62 Paying members now :)

We're getting turfed out of our space in July :(
Plan to use a university space at Elephant during summer holiday was foiled by over-zealous safety and security bureaucracy :( :(
Ex-garage on Brixton Hill got let from under our noses :( :( :(

There is currently no plan C :eek:

We've got a budget of around £17,000pa (+/- a few £k depending on the business rates) and need a minimum of 100m² (1,000ft²). If anybody knows of anything suitable in South London Zone 2/3, give us a shout!

We've got a new bandsaw (ooh!)
We'll be holding regular drone/quadcopter workshops (aah!) (probably tuesdays)
Come to open evening tonight (eeh!)

Whats the deal with the makerspace, when where why etc? I need to plan my future and I need to check if this could be a factor. Do you have a website? You need a website.

We have a website. Google it! :D

The rent-free period on the old Good Companion shop is now over (it will become a cafe with children's play area), so rIght now we're temporarily homeless, with all the furniture and equipment in a self-storage unit. Two relocation prospects failed in quick succession, but we've got other leads to follow so fingers crossed we'll be re-housed soon. We don't want to move very far, so if you can get to us now, yuou still will when we move.

In the meantime, we're meeting weekly on Wednesday evenings to make our plans and make things. First of these will be in the Florence next week.

southlondonmakerspace.org

Not hard to find. If it's so important to you perhaps join and support them. I think they're having a headache finding a stable home.

If we'd done this just 2 years ago, it would have been easy. But now the London property market's gone mental and even grubby piles of rotting tin sheds are selling for silly money.

Happy to help sort out a fundraising party - it could also be a bit of a 'barn-raising' party where people do some tidying/cleaning/decorating if you like.

When you say fundraising, do you just mean passing the pot round? Cos we've already got some good fundraising going with our members and they don't need a party as an excuse :)

The plan is to spend the next 3 months renovating the front 1/3rd of the space to a high standard: Line the arch, new floor, new entrance door, new toilet etc. so that it can actually be used for making (and crucially, attracting new members). A temporary partition will hide the building site for phase 2 and the inevitable pile of excess furniture and equipment. The situation we want to avoid is an ever-lasting and ill-defined building project that gets in the way of providing useful, comfortable space.

plan-1024x723.png

Not just passing the pot round but ideally for at a specific target for a specific reason, e.g. 2 grand renovation fund and not necessarily aimed at members. Sounds like there's no need at this point, well done! :)

Back
Top Bottom