Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sourdough Starter

What do you slash with MsT and Ruby? My blades are blunting and pulling :hmm:
I use a very sharp thin knife or a razor blade. Needs to be done as a quick slash, not a slower cut.

Think I still have a few of the proper razor-y things a bakery owner gave me if you or anyone else want any.

E2a these:
16157062433925193888972494806604.jpg

Aye, I'm doing it quickly, but the blades are definitely blunting.

Not sure where sells old school razor blades.

What do you slash with MsT and Ruby? My blades are blunting and pulling :hmm:
I didn't know until recently that I was supposed to. Since then I have been hacking ineffectively with a knife. It never works very well.

I'm doing an online course atm and the tutor today was saying "ooh I've got a new razor blade, I love that, it's so much easier when you get a new one". So I guess you have to change them fairly often. It was just a razor blade.

The process is so messy I thought I might as well do 2 loaves at a time. Not too unhappy with the result. 900g strong white flour, 150g starter. 1hr autolyse, 4hr first prove, 3hr second prove.

20210320_101328.jpg

Quick question - I'm about to buy a proving basket. Should it be the same size as the Le Creuset pot that I'm going to bake the sourdough in?

My basket's 23cm across the top, and my pot's 21cm, and both work fine for a loaf made with 500g flour, han

Reactions: han
Well this loaf came out magnificently, despite a rather unorthodox method/massive error :D
I put the pot in to heat, then put the dough in after 30 mins. I'd asked my husband to take the lid off for another 25 mins, at which point he noticed I'd turned the grill on, not the oven! He rectified that and baked it for another 20 mins with lid on, and 20 with it off, and this came out! Disaster averted! It's a little bit dense in the middle, but the lovely crust makes up for it. Probably won't try to repeat that method though. :hmm:

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 07.39.06.png

I’d left my starter out of the fridge for a few days (maybe a week) and didn’t like the look of it so flushed it away and am restarting again from a couple of dried starter chips that I froze. It worked last time I did this....FEF2A6B2-1E43-4AAD-826B-F53EF5EF26A2.jpegB089D24F-8206-4F69-9A4A-1BB611DCD231.jpegE943586C-01D4-4BA6-BA49-D520849BF1A2.jpeg

IMG-20210430-WA0000.jpg
Toast from bread-baby 3! Our most delicious one yet. Accidentally leaving the oven turned up to the top for 7 mins before turning down to 220 turned out to be a good thing. Nice hard but also chewy crust.

My little piece of frozen starter flakes, which I fed daily with 15g water and 15g flour, looked and smelled ready enough on Wednesday evening,
B4C974C8-6E3A-4E60-81CF-B8501BEFFFF9.jpeg
so I mixed up a dough which I baked yesterday. I used half whole meal bread flour and (by accident) half ordinary wholemeal, and added loads of seeds, so it took a while to rise and cooked quite dense. It’s delicious, though.

6C085528-F9C1-4D90-8B57-630C3E3AF7E5.jpeg

Every time I go off-piste and add stuff, it doesn’t rise so well. I wonder what I’m doing wrong :hmm: this one has poppy seeds but otherwise everything’s the same as usual, but it’s a bit flat.

824B7007-15C9-4017-990C-C0E8A720D6CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks tasty - I wonder if when you add stuff it might be necessary to let it rise for longer?

My last two have been flat as a bloody pancake. The overnight bubbling works the way it always did - come down to find a bowl full to the brim with risen bubbly dough, but once it goes in the banneton, it just loses all life. I thought summer would make it better, not worse!

once it goes in the banneton, it just loses all life. I thought summer would make it better, not worse!
Yes, this, actually. I had to try so hard to get it to rise in the cold weather I thought this would be a doddle, but you're right - mine's doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom