Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sourdough Starter

Blimey, it had risen like mad this morning. Knocked it down, stuck it in a 2lb loaf tin but it's already reaching the top of it. Should I have used 2 tins killer b ?!

Blimey, it had risen like mad this morning. Knocked it down, stuck it in a 2lb loaf tin but it's already reaching the top of it. Should I have used 2 tins killer b ?!
I don't think so - I'd just whack it in the oven once it gets to the top of the tin - you'll end up with some bigger air bubbles than you'd like if it's rising that fast probably, but it should still taste good.

If your leaven is this lively you could reduce the amount you use in your next loaf (make it up to weight with extra flour & water), or do the second rise at a lower temperature.

Nice one cheers. I did the last 2 loaves in the middle cos I thought the top might be too burny, but never found the answer in all the googling I did!

Jesus fkn christ, I finally did it! But I am finding the dough really hard to work with. It's so bloody sticky! And a massive faff tbh. Might just stick to wholemeal loaves with trad yeast after all this.

Attachments

• 20210208_082258.jpg
    20210208_082258.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210208_082255.jpg
    20210208_082255.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 14
Jesus fkn christ, I finally did it! But I am finding the dough really hard to work with. It's so bloody sticky! And a massive faff tbh. Might just stick to wholemeal loaves with trad yeast after all this.
what are you finding hard about the dough? the kneading, the shaping at the end? It is a faff getting a perfectly shaped boule or whatever, but if you're not so bothered about that I'd just use a tin...

what are you finding hard about the dough? the kneading, the shaping at the end? It is a faff getting a perfectly shaped boule or whatever, but if you're not so bothered about that I'd just use a tin...
It's incredibly sticky. Like being pulled into a gel-like planet with massive gravity. Once you're in you can't get out. The floury teatowels are messy as fuck. Everything gets covered in flour, the boule is hard to shape (but I much prefer its baked shape to a tin).

Anyway, am just coming to the end of the 2nd loaf and it's so perfectly done and crunchy that I've determined to carry on with it.

I might have a go and making sourdough. I could get some starter from someone on Nextdoor but this would identify me as one of them (the hordes of people congregating by Brockley Station who talk relentlessly about sourdough).
I am going to make a starter. I am mulling on fermenting some mushrooms to go in it.

It's incredibly sticky. Like being pulled into a gel-like planet with massive gravity. Once you're in you can't get out. The floury teatowels are messy as fuck. Everything gets covered in flour, the boule is hard to shape (but I much prefer its baked shape to a tin).

Anyway, am just coming to the end of the 2nd loaf and it's so perfectly done and crunchy that I've determined to carry on with it.
From what I've been able to ascertain about the floured teatowel / baneton method, even very experienced bakers end up with it sticking to the towel occasionally - but the crust is better than with a tin, no doubt. Have you tried using a dutch oven (this does involve having a big cast iron casserole or similar, but the crust is out of this world...)?

Useful tip thank you. Will look up the no knead method too cheers :)
It's on the recipe repository thread: Urban Recipe Repository

Both Ms T and I have been making this for years although I think we've both varied it a bit. Personally, I now take the starter out of the fridge, feed it, get it nice and bubbly, then make the bread and put the remaining starter back in the fridge.

It specifies a Le Creuset/cast iron casserole but you don't have to do that. Using a pot does mean you don't have to worry too much if the dough is a bit runny. Pyrex works too, or I'm playing around at the moment with baking it on a preheated pizza stone.

Again, this may be too much water for you. Flour can vary, you have to play it by ear a bit and get a feel for how solid/liquid you want your dough.

It specifies a Le Creuset/cast iron casserole but you don't have to do that. Using a pot does mean you don't have to worry too much if the dough is a bit runny. Pyrex works too, or I'm playing around at the moment with baking it on a preheated pizza stone.
What kind of diameter of pot?

Back
Top Bottom