Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Solar Impulse plane doing epic global flight

Fingers that is misleading, if you just load the youtube you get what happened many minutes ago, if you move to the right, you see Si2 on the ground.

Their whole website is a bit of a dog's dinner to be honest. FR still showing it in the air. Odd

FR seems to be having problems today ...

... or it's going to make an emergency landing at Bristol ...

oops5.jpg

Wonder how long it will take them to find a new flight / weather window. Apparently it is soon to be typhoon season in the region so hopefully they find a new slot soon.

Wonder how long it will take them to find a new flight / weather window. Apparently it is soon to be typhoon season in the region so hopefully they find a new slot soon.

Probably four days at least. Then they need to get a hurry on. Is there any possibility of El Niño events?

Apparently, with reference, 2hats your comment about them being quite low, their plan is to gain altitude in the day on solar and then sort of allow themselves to lose attitude at night to spare the load on the batteries.

Apparently, with reference, 2hats your comment about them being quite low, their plan is to gain attitude in the day on solar and then sort of allow themselves to lose attitude at night to spare the load on the batteries.

That makes sense, probably at a reduced speed but it is not too important the distance you travel at night, it is more important to gain the milage during daylight hours i reckon

Apparently, with reference, 2hats your comment about them being quite low, their plan is to gain altitude in the day on solar and then sort of allow themselves to lose attitude at night to spare the load on the batteries.

28kft down to 5kft in the first hour or so of night flight just seemed like rather a lot of cross and down range gliding leeway to pass up on (should a powered flight issue arise).

28kft down to 5kft in the first hour or so of night flight just seemed like rather a lot of cross and down range gliding leeway to pass up on (should a powered flight issue arise).
Yes, you are probably right, that does sound like quite a quick loss of altitude.

They have gotten their mobile blow up hangar to the airstrip and are assembling it now. No idea how long they will be on the ground this time though. Looks cold and wet there.

Warming up... ready to track:
CIMcq5UW8AAm-DT.png

Last edited:
They go on about flying with no fuel which is interesting and of course part of the goals of the project, but:

I think they should come clean on whether they are plugging it into the mains to charge the batteries when they are on the ground. I think they have to be as the plane has been in a hangar for days and sunlight would have been reduced. Still, I want to know how they would phrase it!

They go on about flying with no fuel which is interesting and of course part of the goals of the project, but:

I think they should come clean on whether they are plugging it into the mains to charge the batteries when they are on the ground. I think they have to be as the plane has been in a hangar for days and sunlight would have been reduced. Still, I want to know how they would phrase it!

i may be wrong, uit as it spends so much time on the ground between flights, would they need to?

i may be wrong, uit as it spends so much time on the ground between flights, would they need to?
But it is usually in permanent or temporary hangar so the light falling on its panels would be reduced.
and lithium batteries hold their charge
But like tonight they often take off at night meaning they need a full charge to see them through to the next sunshine. I just think it is interesting and would like to know the truth.

Oh I see - they state that it gets too blowy during the day to have the plane outside ... :hmm:

Perhaps the hangar has a transparent roof ?

Also sometimes they report it can be too hot for the panels, seems odd to me, but on one of their stops they explained they were hangering the plane to keep the temperature of the panels at a lower level.

The reason no one knew about the takeoff at Nagoya was that the team kept it quiet in case there was a further disappointment from a third change of mind at the last minute.

Back
Top Bottom