Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, what's Sheffield like then?

cheers, student area would be fine, only looking to rent either a room or small flat anyhow.

Kelham island/Neepsend/West bar for central flats. Kelham island is pretty trendy, Neepsend is its up-and-coming cousin... I mean fuck off Neepsend tbh, it's where my workshop is and I don't want more flats there! But yeah, that area is popular. I live in West Bar, which is near there, marginally closer to centre, mostly flats and student blocks. The area has a ridiculous number of very good pubs.

Crookes is more traditional student - shared houses as opposed to blocks of flats. Walkley is... Slightly outside Crookes... And I suppose represents post-student stuff. Nice terraced houses. Nether edge is the other way and further out, bit quieter, quite expensive, but not as snobbish as Fulwood. See also Ecclesall Road/Sharrow/Endcliffe park (you can actually walk up to the peaks via Endcliffe park).

Kelham island/Neepsend/West bar for central flats. Kelham island is pretty trendy, Neepsend is its up-and-coming cousin... I mean fuck off Neepsend tbh, it's where my workshop is and I don't want more flats there! But yeah, that area is popular. I live in West Bar, which is near there, marginally closer to centre, mostly flats and student blocks. The area has a ridiculous number of very good pubs.

Crookes is more traditional student - shared houses as opposed to blocks of flats. Walkley is... Slightly outside Crookes... And I suppose represents post-student stuff. Nice terraced houses. Nether edge is the other way and further out, bit quieter, quite expensive, but not as snobbish as Fulwood. See also Ecclesall Road/Sharrow/Endcliffe park (you can actually walk up to the peaks via Endcliffe park).

I never thought I would hear those words, Neepsend up and coming.
My day is complete. I remember Parkwood Springs as a cosy little community.

I never thought I would hear those words, Neepsend up and coming.
My day is complete. I remember Parkwood Springs as a cosy little community.

It's not got that far, just the bits near Kelham Island... Over by the Gardener's rest there's a 'food hall' (Cutlery works) now, trendy bars and restaurants in an old workshop. And over the river from that is another hall type thing, which has a trendy vegan place. And clothes I think. Then you've got another set of workshops that have depot bakery (trendy bakery), barbers, tattoo parlour (there are I think at least three of those in the area), Cheese maker. That place also has Peddler night market (monthly... trendy... food market thing). There's at least one pub in an old workshop (called the old workshop). It's fucking bizarre... When I moved here (only 6/7 years ago), it was still mostly workshops and er... working women. It's rammed round here of a weekend now, no idea where they all come from.

Some of it is shit, the Riverside pub got bought by the forum and just went to shit. Used to have music and stuff... No more. Some of it I don't mind, bakery is good, barbers is good. But obviously driving prices up in the area. Our last workshop is already getting turned into flats... Got lucky with this one, but don't know how long it'll last.

I used to work on Penistone Road in the seventies, it was a totally alien area to what it seems now.
Me and a mate used to nip through Neepsend on our way home, loads of pubs back then. We used to have our union meetings in the Farfield Inn.
It looks like a different country now.

Reactions: Cid
My fifteen fingered mate has just moved from Stocksbridge to Walkley up by where the Beehive pub was.

Reactions: Cid
Back
Top Bottom