Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, what's Sheffield like then?

crustychick

doo-woop-de-doo
Following on from my "Cambridge" thread, I was wondering if anyone had any nuggets of wisdom on Sheffield.

We're off to visit for the weekend on Friday with a view to maybe moving there in the New Year.

So, tips on where to live, what's hot and what's not. What's good and what's bad and that kinda thing much appreciated :)

Seconded - let us know what particularly you're interested and I'm sure me and the other Sheffield Urbs can help. Where are you staying for the weekend? What kind of things do you like to be near where you live? Do you prefer Pale Rider or Moonshine? All important questions to consider.

Seconded - let us know what particularly you're interested and I'm sure me and the other Sheffield Urbs can help. Where are you staying for the weekend? What kind of things do you like to be near where you live? Do you prefer Pale Rider or Moonshine? All important questions to consider.
we're staying in some hotel as the fella is being flown over for the job interview :)

currently I've been advised that the west side of Sheffield is where it's at... so looking around there. I'd love to buy a house but not sure how feasible that is. I don't need to be in the thick of things any more and we might have kids in the next few years, but good access to both the city and the countryside is desirable plus some nice parks nearby for walking the dog.

I have not sampled either of those ales but I am looking forward to drinking some ales upon our return to the homeland :D

Click the 'display as threads' option.

They mostly seem to be quite old and not enormously relevant though.
Yeah, I did do that. Just being obstinate...

How are you finding Sheffield since moving there almost a year ago? Yours was the most recent thread!

It's a really good place to live actually. I do pine for London sometimes, but that's partly because my best mates live there. There are a vast number of pubs, I think about 6 within 10 minutes walk of my house. Public transport is ok, trams and buses, but tbh I live 10 minutes walk from where I work so don't really use them.

It is hilly, but cycling is pretty popular and most of it is manageable... You'd probably want to avoid Crookes and Walkley though. Crookes is student-land anyway.

Nether edge is really nice, it's about 4 miles out from the centre and is sort of leafy suburb, stone house type stuff. It is also on a hill, but not as bad as some others. Prices for property there were quite high last time I checked though. The borders between Nether Edge and Highfield are nice enough, close to Abbeydale road (main road into town), lots of shops and stuff. Elements of grimness, but nothing exceptional.

I live in the Sharrowvale bit of Neepsend now, new flats and student halls. It's actually pretty nice round here, mostly it's also very convenient for my workshop. There's a lot to be said for the older 'character' properties in Sheffield, but there's also a lot to be said for flats with insulation and double glazing... They're quite reasonably priced... iirc £90-120k.

There's plenty of interesting crustiness around, lots of people with workshops, lock-ups etc. Industry might have been damaged, but there are still loads of people with smaller businesses left - joiners, saw-makers, steel fab etc.

the first 500 results were a thread entitled Mundane pictures of the North, then a few threads about Manchester :p
that's because you didn't do as i suggested - i said you should search titles only. not posts, thread titles.

moving to sheffield: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/moving-to-sheffield.303345/
best pub for a sunday roast in sheffield: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/best-pub-for-sunday-roast-in-sheffield.299346/
best parts of sheffield to live: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/best-parts-of-sheffield-to-live.291178/
things to do for free in sheffield: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/things-to-do-for-free-in-sheffield.237904/
late bars / clubs in sheffield: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/late-bars-clubs-in-sheffield.203615/

etc etc ad nauseam

My brother lives in Sheff. Woodseats to be precise. Seems to me the place just isn't rough at all, you can walk about with impunity - I like it.

I would love to live in Sheffield (and hope to in the next few years.)

The love of my life recently moved there (we fell through) and I would do anything to rekindle our relationship - If I did, I'd be there in a shot!

e2a: she lives in Hillsborough, I really like it around there and as others have said, Nether Edge is nice though quite pricey.

A friend of mine who is an inveterate Southerner - whole life in London and Sussex and a right picky bugger :D moved to Sheffield a year or two ago for a PhD and now talks about never leaving. Having visited I can see the attraction. Lovely city, great pubs!

I live by Hunter's Bar, which is pricer than some areas but still full of nice terraces before you get further out of town and head towards semi-detatched land. I think I've enthused about Sheffield plenty on those other threads, but it would take a lot to leave here now. Despite growing up in Devon, and then living in South Wales for years, I've never had so much accessible countryside so close.

I live by Hunter's Bar, which is pricer than some areas but still full of nice terraces before you get further out of town and head towards semi-detatched land. I think I've enthused about Sheffield plenty on those other threads, but it would take a lot to leave here now. Despite growing up in Devon, and then living in South Wales for years, I've never had so much accessible countryside so close.
is that your little record shop at the bottom of Sheldon Rd? if not have you seen it? :D

Back
Top Bottom