Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, what could a post-USA North America look like?

qx0q79q0ura31.jpg

Ain't no way Texas would give up ocean access like that.

Chesapeake may be the world's most formidable naval power! Standing Rock owns an impressive array of nuclear weapons.
Harbour City, perhaps the most populous of the mini-nations, is nearly completely defenseless!

don;t forget the independent nations already existing within the territory of the US

they can't have foreign policy, but they have autonomy within their borders. which leads to problems as they'll sell cigs tax-free, which makes state governments reallllllly upset.

There's a William Gibson novel where the USA has effectively, for any real purposes, fallen apart, but the vestiges of a unitary state remain, including a White House with a president in it.

I think something like is far more likely than a repetition of the USSR or Yugoslavia.

As for Texas - it's the Girl Most Likely To when it comes to secession, but the Texans are going to be like the Scots and the Quebecois. They'll take big on independence, but whenever the time comes to actually pull the trigger (unfortunate metaphor) their collective nerve will fail them.

I think it is strange that the title is about north America, but all but one map is only the United States.

One map that includes Canada, and none that includes Mexico.

It is a bit annoying that a thread claiming to be North America is only about the land mass that is now called United States of America.

I hope the title was an error, and not that the op thinks that the US is the only country in North America.

Yes, I do know that Canada is considered as part of North America, my intention wasn't to leave Canada out, but I apologise for my geographical inaccuracy. Though I was going to say I wonder if a liberal-outer-edge US would want to join forces with Canada (or if Canada would have them).... Mexico is an interesting one that as to how that would relate...

With Quebec likely unwilling to accept any new English-speaking provinces, Canada would probably splinter along with the US - Quebec going its own way, Ontario entering some loose federation with its Rust Belt neighbours, the Atlantic provinces allying themselves with New England, Alberta and possibly other prairie provinces becoming Texas North, and British Columbia joining Cascadia.

Though I was going to say I wonder if a liberal-outer-edge US would want to join forces with Canada (or if Canada would have them).... Mexico is an interesting one that as to how that would relate...

I have no problem accepting the New England states into our confederation....

With Quebec likely unwilling to accept any new English-speaking provinces, Canada would probably splinter along with the US - Quebec going its own way, Ontario entering some loose federation with its Rust Belt neighbours, the Atlantic provinces allying themselves with New England, Alberta and possibly other prairie provinces becoming Texas North, and British Columbia joining Cascadia.

huh???

Quebec will stay in Canada.

Just because the States are splitting up, there is no reason to suggest the Canada would split up as well.

as to TN there is the recent unpleasantness that goes with having a supermajority (= veto-proof majority in the legislature). remember, this was carried out by the same people who exculpated the Jan. 6th rioters.
more of it

more TN
also, put-your-fist-through-the-screen stuff

A member of GOP leadership in the Tennessee House of Representatives was recently found guilty of sexually harassing at least one legislative intern, likely two, by an ethics subcommittee acting in secret, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has learned.

Rep. Scotty Campbell, who serves as vice chair of the House Republican Caucus and who recently voted to expel three Democrats who engaged in a gun violence protest on the House floor, suffered no consequences as a result of his actions.

Despite accusations of sometimes extremely vulgar comments and other inappropriate advances, Republicans did not remove the 39-year-old East Tennessee lawmaker from his leadership position nor from his committee assignments.

more TN
also, put-your-fist-through-the-screen stuff

apparently he's resigned

Here's one: the Californians playing silly buggers, as is their wont:

"the repeated suggestion that California is in some way its own nation is touching nerves and prompting concerns about the future of American federalism."

"Let us now rise for the national anthem of Independent California - "that's like, just your opinion, man".

Newsom calling California a "nation-state" was quite a big story in the early weeks of the pandemic - and the Irish Times (I think it was) had a map showing the different regional blocs emerging in the US as various tried to pool counter-Pandemic resources.

huh???

Quebec will stay in Canada.

Just because the States are splitting up, there is no reason to suggest the Canada would split up as well.
Factory workers, miners, and loggers; service-industry workers,
teachers, students, and the unemployed, take back what belongs to
you, your jobs, your determination, and your liberty.
And you, workers at General Electric, you make your factories run;
only you are capable of production; without you General Electric is
nothing!
Workers of Quebec, take back today what is yours; take back what
belongs to you. Only you know your factories, your machines, your
hotels, your universities, your unions. Don't wait for some miracle
organization.
Make your own revolution in your neighborhoods, in your places of
work. If you don't do it yourselves, other technocratic usurpers and so
on will replace the handful of cigar smokers we now know, and
everything will have to be done over again. Only you are able to
build a free society.

(don't worry, I love Canada really)

megaregions_covid-19_0.png

And then there's this:

So. . . we don't yet have any sign of an actual move to secession by any constituent part of the USA. But we already have the (temporary) emergence of regional alliances by states, in a context in which the federal government is rendered (or has rendered itself) irrelevant.

Of course, nothing as bad as the pandemic is ever going to happen again, so this is of mere historical influence. There couldn't be any relevance to any possible future crisis situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom