Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So then, Father Ted or IT crowd ?

just been watching the IT crowd love in on Ch4

I forgot how good it was

no shitty poll with comedy options , but which series is the best ?

Funnily enough have watched both for the first time in ages over the last few days.

IT Crowd wins. Although FT has some great visual stuff.

Ted, imo. The scene with all the priests lost in Dublin's largest lingerie department. Or the charter flight to Lourdes developing engine problems. Bloody brilliant.
I wandered into the lingerie department in primark by accident yesterday :)

For me as someone who works with IT the IT crowd has always missedthe mark for me. As someone who spent a lot of time in Ireland, Father Ted is spot on.

Last edited:
For me as someone who works with IT the IT crowd has always missedthe mark for me. As someone who spent a lot of time in Ireland, Father Ted is spot on.
There could be something to that, where Linehan was writing about what he knew, then writing about what he thought he knew.

I've watched more Ted than IT, so possibly not best placed to comment but could be argued that it's a comment in itself. Ted feels warmer and less... contrived, or cynical or something.

There could be something to that, where Linehan was writing about what he knew, then writing about what he thought he knew.

I've watched more Ted than IT, so possibly not best placed to comment but could be argued that it's a comment in itself. Ted feels warmer and less... contrived, or cynical or something.

I live in rural Ireland, a lot of the stuff is well observational of very crap small town surrealism. Its hard to pin it down exactly what it is , but theres a reality to it. Or at least there used to be. Its always reminded me of stuff I encountered as a kid.

Katherine-as-Jen-Barber-in-The-IT-Crowd-katherine-parkinson-31694459-426-640.jpg

I want to bear Jen's babies :oops:

this exactly for me

plus i know it's not a sit com but for techy office joke i turn to dilbert.

to give example the first dilbert comic i found at fandom just had me laughing painfully.

183023.strip.print.gif

i never laughed once during an episode of it crowd

When IT Crowd started I thought it was absolutely rubbish in comparison to Father Ted. It wasn't as funnt and the actors weren't as good - especially that awful woman who plays Jen who did a lot of weird shouting and the bloke who plays Roy isn't much good either.

However after a few years I started to like IT Crowd a lot more, not because my initial opinion was wrong but because of the apparent continual decline in quality of sitcoms in general made IT Crowd appear much better than it actually is.

In conclusion then:
Father Ted >>>> IT Crowd > most other sitcoms

The IT Crowd has some good bits, but Father Ted is definitely best. Some of the other shows he has written for (Black Books, Big Train, Jam) are better than IT Crowd too IMO.

I wonder if Arthur Matthews co-writing Father Ted but not IT Crowd has any bearing on the quality? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom