Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So I've bought myself a breadmaker.

19sixtysix

Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret
So I've bought myself a breadmaker. Some hints and tips please.

£20 from lidl.

I never managed to make a 'light' wholemeal loaf(they were more brick) so just started mixing some of the Lidl Rustic wholemeal mix in with white(1/2 & 1/2). That works well.

I chuck seeds and nuts in mine most of the time. Herb/garlic bread, just add herbs and garlic to the mix.

I used mine to make cakes quite a lot a few yrs ago and found it was better to mix the mixture before putting it in to the maker coz the machine never mixed it right imo.

I love our machine :cool: going out for a few pints on a saturday night and putting it on the timer before bed (put all the ingredients in together bar the water before you go out then just tip in water when drunk :D) to then wake up with a hangover to fresh bread that took absolutely no effort is a wonderous thing :D

I love our machine :cool: going out for a few pints on a saturday night and putting it on the timer before bed (put all the ingredients in together bar the water before you go out then just tip in water when drunk :D) to then wake up with a hangover to fresh bread that took absolutely no effort is a wonderous thing :D

I'm thinking post nightshift this could be a winner. I bought it as I never seem to have bread when I need it. How long does a quick loaf take. Can you do small loaves/rolls?

ours (the panasonic :oops:) does a fast loaf in 2 hours but it's no where near as good as the other ones which take about 4 hours :) which still isn't bad tbh :D

eating the loaf still hot from the machine with lashings of butter is one of our favourite things in this house :D

I use mine several times a week now... admittedly it has took me a year or two to get into the habit.

A standard loaf I make with half strong white flour and half granary and it always turns out great. I use it to make pizza dough quite often too.

how do they work then? do you just tip a bag of bread mix in it with some water and let it get on with it? I quite fancy making my own bread; as aqua says, nothing better than warm home baked bread with huge dollops of butter :cool:

A standard loaf I make with half strong white flour and half granary and it always turns out great. I use it to make pizza dough quite often too.

I can't stand wholemeal bread so do the 50/50 thing too with and it's lovely :cool:

and pizza dough too, although we haven't yet made rolls with it, no idea why I just forget :oops:

how do they work then? do you just tip a bag of bread mix in it with some water and let it get on with it? I quite fancy making my own bread; as aqua says, nothing better than warm home baked bread with huge dollops of butter :cool:
you can use pre-mixes or just the flours and make them different yourself (which is what we do :)) things like oregano and oil make for a lovely bread, as does chopped up peppers and some parmesan :cool:

I don't bother with mixes. It's simple enough using ingredients...

Pour in some luke warm water, some butter, some sugar & salt, flour and some yeast... press start

oh, I also use doves organic flour, it's by far and away the best flour I've used :) more expensive but more reliable IMO

you can use pre-mixes or just the flours and make them different yourself (which is what we do :)) things like oregano and oil make for a lovely bread, as does chopped up peppers and some parmesan :cool:

mmmmmm......

That's why i'd quite to get one, my uncle's partner makes lush home made bread, her sun dried tomato and herb bread is to die for :cool: especially when eaten warm with huge amounts of butter, of course

I made a bog standard white loaf by hand the other day and it was fucking superb. Does a breadmaker add anything other than making it less time and effort consuming to make?

I made a bog standard white loaf by hand the other day and it was fucking superb. Does a breadmaker add anything other than making it less time and effort consuming to make?

Probably not, but less time and effort is an excellent thing. Two mins weighing flour and chucking in other ingredients, set the timer and you're done.

I've been through two Lidl breadmakers. I've lost one of the paddles, so I'm going to buy a Panasonic next. I really miss having one , not just for loaves but also for making pizza dough. Has anyone made jam in one?

Does a breadmaker add anything other than making it less time and effort consuming to make?

Not really.

I'm sure you could make better loaves by hand if you had the knack and the time, and you're a bit limited to what the finished loaf looks like with a machine... you can't plait it or anything.

But the convenience of a machine is great :)

Blimey - there was a bloke sitting on the same bus as me tonight who'd got a brand new breadmaker on the floor. You aren't in Brighton are you ? :hmm: :D

Nope I'm having a weekend up in Glasgow. I am wondering about transporting back on the train. I bought it cause I doubted the sydenham store will have any left when i get back. £20 was a bargain.

3 times a week before I go to bed, I put the pan on my digital scales and weigh in the water, chuck in half a bag of H&B's seed mix, then a pack of Tesco wholemeal mix.. into the machine and push the button. I have a bad habit of actually doing this at the very last moment - at 2.30 am.

Once I get my finger out I'll weigh up some mixes of my own. I used to use 400g of wholemeal and 100g of strong white

I like to take the loaf straight out of the machine and into a cereal box in my bicycle saddlebag - leaving a chimney .. half an hour later I walk into the building and stink the place out with freshly made bread. :cool:

This thread might just made me bend my credit card on a new Panasonic.:D Are they really that good?

They're very good - though who knows if they'll outlive several cheap ones ... I killed the bearing and non-stick surface on my Morphy Richards after 2 years.

my one annoyance is it takes ages to reset if you push the wrong button by mistake. I only used the raisin tray once. The second time I forgot to set the option and I woke up to seedless bread and a bulging tray of steamed seeds.:rolleyes: .. ought to be handy for actual fruit though. :)

I wish I could find all my old recipes - I'm gasping for some rye with caraway and some fruit bread ... and some PNB and coconut ...

Back
Top Bottom