Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snacks from your youth that the PC Health and Safety Clean Eating Brigade now stamp down on

mrs quoad

I have just nurtured my inner farrage by making our toddler a snack from our 80s childhood, "mashed bananas with sugar and cream."

In the cold light of 2017 day, this seems marginally less morally bankrupt than his naptime hot toddy and cigar.

(Representations have also just been made for chocolate digestives, which have been crumbled over the top. Photos updated).

Which snacks - and I do mean specifically snacks, no Findus horsey pancakes here tyvm, unless your parents fed them to you as snacks - festooned your childhood, but these days look +/- fucked up?

IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4439.JPG

Butter and sugar on bread.
On a similar theme, my Dutch wife has "hagelslag" memories.

When people had birthdays at school, everyone would have hagelslag on buttered bread.

These are mostly "chocolate" flavour, where "chocolate" = 0.2% cocoa solids flavoured chalky sugar.

Though they also come in aniseed.

Dutch food, mmmmmmmm.

Yeah.

20111115-hagelslag-group-large.jpg

Hand on heart - I don't honestly remember having snacks between meals as a child, certainly not as a norm . . . what I do remember is "It'll spoil your (insert name of next upcoming meal)

Me too, no snacks. I can remember one person in our junior school would eat a bag of crisps every day at morning break; just one.

We had some fine meals though, especially during the school holidays; crisp sandwiches with extra salt, banana sandwiches made with rescued bits of almost-entirely-black bananas. Onion sandwiches.

The only snacks we were allowed that I remember now were those little packs of Sunmaid raisins, which I'm pretty sure you can get now.
We called them treats, rather than snacks.

Chocolate on bread. Ketchup sandwiches. Mayonnaise sandwiches. Bowl of instant mash and ketchup.

All of the above would be tolerated when we were on holidays in the French countryside, and only really because I'd spend about five hours a day cycling around empty roads burning the calories off.

Last edited:
Biscuits from Kwik Save that were lurid purple or green. The cause of at least half an hour of manic running around.

Back
Top Bottom